LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

We're giving up an average of 28 points per game over the last 9 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by mayo49:
We were top 10 in run defense and that has disappeared these last 3 games. We're not as stout as we were with Soap and RJF. We have to get better or it's going to be a long season for the defense getting off the field.

It really hurts when you lose you starting NT to a questionable cut block week 2 his 1st game starting

True, but NT isn't on out there when the 49ers are in nickel, which is what they've been in for what seems like the majority of these first 3 games. So for example, when Seattle was in their 12 formation (1 RB, 2 TEs), the 49ers countered with nickel, 7 guys in the box: 4 LBs, 2 DL, and 1 CB (usually Rogers) in box. So it's 7 blocking 7, but it's 5 big OL, 2 big TEs, vs the Niners' 7, which again includes a CB. Safeties are of no help because they're both 15 yards off the ball. What's the answer...do you drop Whitner down closer for run support and put more pressure on CBs/Reid? I don't know, but Lord Fangio needs to figure something out, because right now the blueprint is put the 49ers in nickel and run right at them.
I think peeps need to relax about the defense. Defense isn't the problem here.

If the Offense can sustain some drives and...oh, I don't know...SCORE once in awhile the defense will be just fine. The last two games have been very close till till late in the game when the D finally broke down and the O started turning the ball over in their own territory.

Despite those lopsided scores and the insane Time of Possession the last two games because the O couldn't stay on the field, the 49ers are currently 12th in the NFL in yards and tied for 10th in yards per play.

Defense isn't the problem here.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

If the Offense can sustain some drives and...oh, I don't know...SCORE once in awhile the defense will be just fine. The last two games have been very close till till late in the game when the D finally broke down and the O started turning the ball over in their own territory.

Despite those lopsided scores and the insane Time of Possession the last two games because the O couldn't stay on the field, the 49ers are currently 12th in the NFL in yards and tied for 10th in yards per play.

Who is saying defense is the problem? I think most people understand the offense is the primary problem right now, and if/when they start to click it will help the defense. But I disagree the defense is "fine", whether you want to look at just these 3 games or include the latter part of last season.

Re: defensive stats, sure, middle of the pack on some, but also below-median or near the bottom in 3rd down %, 1st downs by penalty, rushing 1st downs, rush yds, turnovers, and points allowed. And because of injuries/"other" they're going to have personnel problems to solve.

But I am hopeful that if the offense gets back on track, that might erase a lot of the negatives on the defensive side...e.g. playing with a big lead would be nice, because then teams might not be as apt to run vs the 49ers nickel. But until then I think be it rotation, scheme, penalties, blown assignments, bad tackling, the defense is a concern.
I agree with the general consensus - the defense is not the problem here.

I doubt there will truly be any "great" defenses in the NFL going forward given the rule changes. Successful defenses will cause turnovers and get after the QB but holding good offenses to under 20 a game is going to be difficult for even the best defenses.

I think we definitely have an above average defense, but it is impossible to accurately evaluate it given our offensive failures. In the past two games we have had 22 offensive possessions (11 in each game). 18 of those possessions ended with turnovers or punts and 2 ended because the game clock expired. 15 of 22 possessions were 5 plays or less. Seattle's offense was on the field for 37 minutes, Indy's offense was on the field for 37 minutes. Opposing teams are running 20 more plays a game than we are.

We used to be a team that ate the clock, won the battle of field position, and wore down opposing teams' defenses. We have done none of that through three games this year.
RUN. THE. BALL. and our defense will look way better
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
RUN. THE. BALL. and our defense will look way better

This. I would have taken being down 10-7 at halftime to the Colts with Gore and Hunter carrying the ball 20+ times and wearing down their defense ... Being down that score with only 11 carries was pathetic.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Who is saying defense is the problem? I think most people understand the offense is the primary problem right now, and if/when they start to click it will help the defense. But I disagree the defense is "fine", whether you want to look at just these 3 games or include the latter part of last season.

Re: defensive stats, sure, middle of the pack on some, but also below-median or near the bottom in 3rd down %, 1st downs by penalty, rushing 1st downs, rush yds, turnovers, and points allowed. And because of injuries/"other" they're going to have personnel problems to solve.

But I am hopeful that if the offense gets back on track, that might erase a lot of the negatives on the defensive side...e.g. playing with a big lead would be nice, because then teams might not be as apt to run vs the 49ers nickel. But until then I think be it rotation, scheme, penalties, blown assignments, bad tackling, the defense is a concern.

OK...let me put it another way...my only concerns about the defense is that we just lost Aldon and possibly Willis for awhile. We may not have Nnamdi either. If all those guys are healthy then I'm not concerned with the D. At all.

I don't expect them to hold good teams down all day when they are on the field that long.

Fix the offense and we aren't even talking about the defense.
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Defense hasn't been the same since we made the QB switch and ran a higher tempo risk-taking offense. I think there is a correlation between the two because the defense is out on the field more so than before.

We need to get that methodical WCO control type offense.

well said, i agree with this 100%
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Defense hasn't been the same since we made the QB switch and ran a higher tempo risk-taking offense. I think there is a correlation between the two because the defense is out on the field more so than before.

well said, i agree with this 100%

THANK YOU! People can knock Alex Smith all they want, but the football we played with him under center was the best type of football because it allowed the offense to control the clock, thus dictating when the other team would get the ball back. #truth #fact
the defense is fine

i know what i saw the past 2 weeks, and that was the complete inability of the offense to move the ball. 5-0 at halftime vs Seattle & 13-7 in the 4th quarter vs the Colts.

It is always staggering watching people make up excuses for the inexcusable. Our defense is overrated, and Baalke's allegiance to certain players needs to stop. Our defense is way inflated at the LB's position in terms of money. Our DB's corps is absolutely pathetic. Two years ago, our DB's were awesome and it was not just because McDonald and Smith could actually rush the passer back then.

Fangio has gone to a base nickel package that is very susceptible to the run. The Colts and Seattle and even the Packers at times ran the ball down our throats when we had 6 people in the box. Our CB's are so bad that we can't afford to put more people in the box.

Sorry fellas, we are a paper tiger on defense. Our two ILB's are just bigger DB's at this point because neither safety can cover anyone. Whitner is the worst cover safety in the NFL (and I'm not being dramatic). He is absolutely horrible and Fangio knows it. This requires us to take our LB's and use them in coverage when they should be blitzing or focusing more on the run.

Thankfully, Reid is actually promising, but Whitner is gone after this year and thank the lord for it. If our LB's want to win they are going to have to take serious pay cuts in order for us to sign some DB's in FA. Otherwise, I would not be surprised to see us trade Brooks, Willis or Bowman. Smith isn't going anywhere and he will get paid.

Our DL also needs a serious makeover. We are way too light and soft up the middle. J. Smith is such a great player that he can play out of position and still produce at the DT position. He is really a DE though, which he played both in the 3-4 and a four man front in 2011 when he had his best year.

Our LB's are being paid, and the have to produce. It is as simple as that...and they aren't. Brooks is a good player, but he isn't worth what he is getting paid. Neither are willis and bowman to be frank.

It's time to get serious about the obvious problems on the team. Our defense is not that great. Our secondary is a complete joke.

Agreed 100%

This offense has changed drastically since Kap took over. That is not Kap's fault. That lies on the coaching staff. I understand that Kap can physically do more than most QBs out there, but that does not mean you have to constantly put him in the position to do more. Let those plays happen on their own. He made huge plays last year against Chicago, and that was virtually the same offense Smith ran. Let him improvise within THAT offense. Don't try to force him to use his arm strength on a routine basis.

This
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
28 points over the last 9 games. That's not Championship defense.
Only someone who's actually paying attention would realize our Defense would be a lot better if our offense was.
Share 49ersWebzone