LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Receivers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoNiners:
trade for Josh Gordon! Browns said they're listening to offers

What would you be willing to give up for another player who's as interested in getting drunk & high as he is in playing football?
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:06 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel like I've been on here since draft time ranting about how poor WR depth cost us both of the last superbowls, and how we need to be WAY more proactive about getting better WRs.

I suggested drafting 3 WRs in my mock draft (Hopkins, Bailey, and Sanders).

I said that I our depth this year was even worse than last year, our WRs beyond Boldin are average at best, and we needed to do more about it.

And I was consistently ripped for saying these things.

But I think it's clear that Moore and Williams are not starting caliber players. There aren't a lot of options left at this point, but I think the 9ers would do well to at least do these two things:

- re-sign Hawkins or Collie
- activate Baldwin

Sure, those moves will not fix everything. But I think getting bigger, more dynamic players at WR will help. And all three of those players (Baldwin, Collie, Hawkins) have all done way more in the NFL than Williams or Moore ever have. Baalke and Harbaugh need to wake up and face reality when it comes to our WRs.

Yes, TFC, I know you have been saying this all along and quite frankly me too.

This is like Ground Hog Day, this WR discussion never gets old. Baalke is soley responsible for this mess !!

The problem being is once you screw up the draft, it doesn't matter how many millions of FAs you bring in, you will never sort out the problem unless you are talking about big contract major signings. How many FAs did we bring in this offseason ? At one point, we had somehing like 13 WRs perhaps or thereabouts ?

I totally agree with you that multiple WR draft picks is absolute key !!

Baalke has been absolutely pathetic in this area. From 2011 onwards, we have drafted merely 3 WRs and 2 of them have been proven bad picks. We have never properly traded up to draft a bonafide top WR pick nor have we drafted multiple WRs in 1 draft class. This, has to change !! If we don't draft 2 top WR picks in this coming draft like Jordan Matthews and Brandon Coleman for example, Ballke can pack his bags !!

OK, but in the meantime, we need to look into possible trades and sign more FAs to restart our motor to salvage this season while we still can.

I also agree we need to rotate our other receivers such as Baldwin to see what he can bring cos I am sick and tired of us not playing guys, just look at what happened to Brandon Jacobs.

If not for anything, just for KR alone we need to sign back Hawkins now !! He was the only guy we had who was any good in returning kicks and we cut him. That is how sh*t our staff are in evaluating talents !!

Harbaugh, Baalke and Roman, in the true spirit of Bill Belichick - DO YOUR JOB !!!
I'd like to see Cox be the #1 punt and kick returner. Williams isn't getting it done and Hunter certainly doesn't belong back there. Patton would be my #2. As for the WR's I'm pretty disappointed so far. I said it was going to take a team effort and everyone would have to step up. Part of it's the OL, Kap, and playcalling but nobody is stepping up like I thought they would. Jenkins before being traded, Williams, Moore, Lockette before getting cut. I'd activate Baldwin, get some more 3 WR sets at times, too many 1 or 2 WR sets especially against Seattle. Yeah with them stuffing the run having Boldin and Williams as the only options will work. Should have used more Davis and McDonald. I'd like to see more of McDonald. I'd say it should be Boldin, Baldwin or Patton, then Williams and Moore. More 2 TE sets, more 3-4 WR sets and more creative playcalling and run formations. I want 2011's run creativity with 2012's passing attack. I'd like to see more Hunter and not just when we run him to the outside. They seem to know that's coming. When is the last time we seen a counter? At least we got Kap under center a bit more last game. We can use the read option at times but it's not something we should be doing every play. P.S. I agree with SofaKing, I'd rather have Hawkins than Osgood.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

What would you be willing to give up for another player who's as interested in getting drunk & high as he is in playing football?

He and Aldon would be able to share stories.
Kyle Williams sucks. He should've been cut 2 years ago. He's not a rotational WR, he can't get open. Patton should be getting the start and getting his time. Boldin only seems effective on slant routes. VD is effective, McD should see some more time as part of a two TE set to make up for our lack of WRs. I'm anxious to see if Manningham can help.

The last 2 weeks though, I think part of the blame lies with Kaep. He's got happy feet and isn't hanging in the pocket. He doesn't seem to be going through his reads because he's dancing around and trying to avoid pressure that he's running into. He's also been off with his throws as well.
There's nothing wrong with our receivers. We may not have a spectacular bunch of guys after Boldin, but they are decent. QB just has to find the open man and give him a chance by throwing a halfway decent pass. Oh, how things have suddenly changed around here.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:

You know what ? Is up to Josh Gordon what he wants to do with his life. Even if we sign him, we are not tied to him for eternity. I hate to say it, but at this point, we just need legit players to tie us through this season. Anything beyond, we can talk about that later on when our season is over.
Our wrs suck, nuff said. We got the worst group in our division, it tells you right off the bat when our #2 right now is Kyle freaking Williams. I don't know wtf this staff is thinking not activating Baldwin instead they activate a fullback we just signed last week.
Originally posted by Rascal:

You know what ? Is up to Josh Gordon what he wants to do with his life. Even if we sign him, we are not tied to him for eternity. I hate to say it, but at this point, we just need legit players to tie us through this season. Anything beyond, we can talk about that later on when our season is over.

Hey, I have no problem with Gordon. Look at what he did with the mighty Hoyer yesterday. Sure the guy has issues, we deal a late pick for him, which we have many, if he screws up, hes gone, worth the risk at this point. Hell, I even considered the horrible thought of TO after watching the game last night.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Our wrs suck, nuff said. We got the worst group in our division, it tells you right off the bat when our #2 right now is Kyle freaking Williams. I don't know wtf this staff is thinking not activating Baldwin instead they activate a fullback we just signed last week.

Which I think wasn't even used at all....waste of a roster spot if you ask me. D

• Rascal
  • Veteran

Our receiving corps have been the pits for years. Baalke just doesn't place any importance on WRs and even if and when he does he doesn't know how to evaluate and select wideouts. That is why we have ended up where we have ended up.

As for Kyle, I am sorry to say we have given him enough chances. He is a below par WR and a zero contributor on KR. When you are in the business of constantly having to improve the team, you have to be able to make tough decisions, so yes he has to go to make room for others.

Not playing Baldwin is yet another typical 49ers coaching fxxk-up. They just love not to utilize players, just look at how they fxxked up Brandon Jacobs, what a waste !! We have to activate Baldwin in the next game and see what he can bring. Frankly, we don't have a choice, we don't have anyone else. At this rate, don't be shocked we might even need to promote Chuck Jacobs to the 53 at some point if we don't bring in someone better quick. Yes, that is how sad it is.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Our receiving corps have been the pits for years. Baalke just doesn't place any importance on WRs and even if and when he does he doesn't know how to evaluate and select wideouts. That is why we have ended up where we have ended up.

As for Kyle, I am sorry to say we have given him enough chances. He is a below par WR and a zero contributor on KR. When you are in the business of constantly having to improve the team, you have to be able to make tough decisions, so yes he has to go to make room for others.

Not playing Baldwin is yet another typical 49ers coaching fxxk-up. They just love not to utilize players, just look at how they fxxked up Brandon Jacobs, what a waste !! We have to activate Baldwin in the next game and see what he can bring. Frankly, we don't have a choice, we don't have anyone else. At this rate, don't be shocked we might even need to promote Chuck Jacobs to the 53 at some point if we don't bring in someone better quick. Yes, that is how sad it is.

I don't see this happening.....this coaching staff is hard headed and insist that the WR's already active are good enough. Their excuse is gonna be "we just need to execute better".
Remove KW and Moore. Insert Baldwin and Patton. Don't know how this Affects special teams though
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Hey, I have no problem with Gordon. Look at what he did with the mighty Hoyer yesterday. Sure the guy has issues, we deal a late pick for him, which we have many, if he screws up, hes gone, worth the risk at this point. Hell, I even considered the horrible thought of TO after watching the game last night.

Good, let's get him !! Sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures if you will. We need to explore all options instead of sitting here just saying "we didn't execute and we just need to play better" after every single frigging loss and really I am sick and tired of listening to the same old line from Harbaugh. The things is we are not just losing, we are being creamed like if we were the scrubs of the league. Talking of scrubs, even the Jaguars managed 17 points up at CLink last night !! This is how embarrassing the situation is !! Is making me sick !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:

I don't see this happening.....this coaching staff is hard headed and insist that the WR's already active are good enough. Their excuse is gonna be "we just need to execute better".

Pretty much everyone we have cut, traded or whatever are active and playing for other teams such as Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean-Francois and even AJ Jenkins !! The fans are going to lose their patience with Harbaugh and Roman very soon. The next game is already the 4th game, if they don't play Baldwin, he will end up like Jacobs, may be just a cameo appearance in a couple of games at the end of the season and that will be it. How the heck can you evaluate a player properly without proper game time ?! Practice doesn't say jack !!
Share 49ersWebzone