LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Receivers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I got called out by a couple guys when I said Marlon Moore was average. I thought I was being nice. The guy was let go by Miami . I mean, f**k man, f**k

Can't touch the Zone man crush. Someone thought Kyle Williams is a our deep threat. I disagreed and got jumped by 3-4 people

Some serious man crush....
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Well after putting Aldon on the non injured reserve list we have a roster spot available.

That might go to an OLB.

But I would like to see it go to Collie or Hawkins. Actually, I'd like to see us sign both, and cut Osgood.

I forgot Osgood was even on the roster. lol
What I put in the NFL thread:

My guess is the Browns are putting players out there to see what they can get but aren't just going to give them away like a fire sale. They probably want a 1st or 2nd and change for him and doubt we would do that. A 3rd I think we would do. Maybe our late 2nd but not a 2nd and mid round pick or 1st. Little isn't really worth trading for unless it's for a 6th or 7th and the Browns won't do that. I'm sure we inquired or did our home work but I'm sure it won't happen. We are stuck with what we have. Not a lot of trades happen during the season in the nfl. Also, nobody is giving up on the season yet. Would have better luck towards the deadline mid way through the season (I think week 8) but by then should have Manningham and Crabtree should be on the way.

And forgot to we could make the trade conditional to help make it so that if he was suspended for a year he only have to give up a 3rd instead of 2nd or whatever. So we could trade a 1st or 2nd and make it conditional saying if Josh is suspended for 8 games we have to give up a 3rd, if 16 games a 4th. Not sure Browns would go for it since that's the only reason he is out on the block. Might not hurt to try and work that in. Doesn't have to be major incentive either. Could say if he is suspended we still give the 1st or 2nd (or whatever we are willing to give up) but get a late round pick back (6 or 7). Browns might go for giving back a mid to low round if suspended. More likely than them saying oh if suspended we will take a 3rd from you instead of 2nd or 2nd instead of 1st. I'm not sure I see it happening though. In season trades are a lot more rare than in the NBA or MLB. Not too many happen. Ourselves, we do most of our trading on draft days. Some teams (like the Colts) are more aggressive and willing to do big trades (Vontae a few years back too for a 2nd, Richardson) than others.
This team needs to make a Falcons type move in next years draft

Give up multiple #1's for that top elite WR prospect coming out
Originally posted by Knowledge:
This team needs to make a Falcons type move in next years draft

Give up multiple #1's for that top elite WR prospect coming out

I had confidence the FO can pickup a good one until what happened with AJ Jenkins
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Our WR core is better than it was last year for the most part.

Boldin is a better WR than Crabtree (for now)
Williams is Williams
Patton and Moore are both better than anyone not named Crabtree or Manningham last year.

When Manningham and Crabtree get back we're going to have one of the best WR cores in the NFL. But we're still = or better to what we were last year and the year before.

It's not the WRs. We just need to get back to what we do, run the rock and then burn teams with the pass when they cheat up.

I agree, it is not the WR's. We are running a lot of shotgun and are getting very predictable. Colin needs to step it up a notch and make the correct reads. There were a couple of open looks but dude looks too unsure of himself right now.

We aren't even running the read-option no more. Teams are defending it well by loading that side so why not run a read option counter type of play?

Q has 2 working ankles so yes he is a better receiver than Crabtree right now. Moore has been invisible and he has no real history of production, he was a ST player at Miami.

Our WR core is NOT better than last season. Despite Moss taking a lot of plays off, he stretched the field and forced teams to account for him, opening up Crabs and MM. He could beat the man and press coverage and he could go deep.By your logic

Boldin = Crabtree
Manningham > Patton/Moore

However you forget DW played almost like a wide receiver on a lot of deep routes and Moss forced defenses to account for him. That's what people are missing is that DW and Moss could stretch the field and get open and therefore needed to be covered.

Both could make plays (well DW caught ~50% of passes thrown his way) and we are missing that. KW is not a deep threat if he can't beat the press, Boldin is slow and will be double teamed or against the best CB. We're lacking options and we're not being helped by the play calling, and to be fair it's the coaches where I lay most blame.

Boldin > Crabtree...not =. Maybe next year because Boldin is getting older...but even if Crabs was healthy, (if we're talking this year only) I'd take Boldin over him. Manningham is better than our #2 but our #3 and deeper is better than it has ever been. So #1 better now. #2 lesser now. #3+ better. All together means our core is better than it was.

We weren't talking about TEs...but Vance has looked pretty good so far. He brings some things to the table that Delanie didn't and visa versa. Not sure who's going to be the better player. The problem with Delanie was the drops.

Player assements aside, what you're missing is that 1. our WRs are getting open and Kaep is just not hitting them and 2. If the defenses are watching the read-option and the passing game, Gore should be able to tear it up. We need to get back to it.
kenny britt?

If he didnt have issues with the law, I think Baalke would be all over this right now (or maybe waiting until after trading for him)

Not happy with Titans, benched, rookie starting over him. He is a FA after this year, so maybe the titans would take a 6th for him
I agree with what alot of others are saying. Williams & Moore need to be cut loose. Replace them with Hawkins & Collie and see what they can do. They can't be any worse then Williams & Moore. Hawkins is an upgrade at KR/PR & Collie is a better WR then all 4 of them.

I would activate Baldwin on Thursday and start him opposite Boldin. Patton is the #3.

If Harbs & Roman are banking on 2 WR's with torn ACL's to take us to the promise land, they are stupid. Neither Crabtree or Manningham will be close to 90% when they return.

In closing, I think it would be in the best interest of the team if they traded for a Starting WR . Thats what Baalke really needs to do. Package some draft picks together and go get an impact WR now. I'd be happy with 1 of the following WR's:

NYJ Santonio Holmes
CLV Greg Little
PIT Emmanuel Sanders
WASH Santana Moss
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think you are missing my point. My point is we never utilize our players. There is absolutely no reason whatsover we still haven't played Baldwin. If he still doesn't play this Thursday, he will end up like another Brandon Jacobs.

It's important to comment on things I know rather than what I surmise. Not sure why Baldwin hasn't played but perhaps he hasn't been able to learn a play yet. If he turns into Brandon Jacobs then he is a problem not a solution. Right now the team is struggling and there is no room for guys being selfish.

Getting receivers open is the job of coaches and I really don't think the play calling and game plan has helped much. When I watched KC run those underneath routes when the deck was stacked against Smith it made me smile...but the niners almost never do that. I believe Gore could have caught a dozen passes against the Colts and just kept them off the field but he was under utilized.

Both the Seattle game and the Colt game were close until the late moments, when the niners wheels came off and they were desperate. A better game plan would have made a difference. I wonder how much Smith is missed in the planning stage of games? None? A lot?
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
I agree with what alot of others are saying. Williams & Moore need to be cut loose. Replace them with Hawkins & Collie and see what they can do. They can't be any worse then Williams & Moore. Hawkins is an upgrade at KR/PR & Collie is a better WR then all 4 of them.

I would activate Baldwin on Thursday and start him opposite Boldin. Patton is the #3.

If Harbs & Roman are banking on 2 WR's with torn ACL's to take us to the promise land, they are stupid. Neither Crabtree or Manningham will be close to 90% when they return.

In closing, I think it would be in the best interest of the team if they traded for a Starting WR . Thats what Baalke really needs to do. Package some draft picks together and go get an impact WR now. I'd be happy with 1 of the following WR's:

NYJ Santonio Holmes
CLV Greg Little
PIT Emmanuel Sanders
WASH Santana Moss
I'm not wild about any of those guys, but they are all more proven talent than what we have. So I would be in favor of it.

Originally posted by JR80Forever:

NYJ Santonio Holmes
CLV Greg Little
PIT Emmanuel Sanders
WASH Santana Moss

All those guys cost too much but Little. We dont have the Cap room to trade for a impact WR. Best we can get is Gordon, but may take a 1st, which is too much.
I'm not convinced we can't win with our current group of WRs if the coaches can use them to there best. I like Patton but he made some rookie errors this week. Leave him in and let him gain experience...he's a gamer who can get open.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm not convinced we can't win with our current group of WRs if the coaches can use them to there best. I like Patton but he made some rookie errors this week. Leave him in and let him gain experience...he's a gamer who can get open.

Moore or Patton, but they need consistent targets. As far as Williams, he is what he has always been, good enough to not get cut but will never be a starter or a real impact player in the NFL. Wasting targets on him is basically preventing Moore and Patton from showing what they can do.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
All those guys cost too much but Little. We dont have the Cap room to trade for a impact WR. Best we can get is Gordon, but may take a 1st, which is too much.

And Little is mediocre....Gordon is the only real impact guy I see but his price may be too high.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

name those errors!
Share 49ersWebzone