There are 131 users in the forums

Back to BASIC...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
The Pistol is just a formation. We could run a WCO out of the PIstol if we wanted to. For this game we needed to spread them out and hit our receivers off of fast developing 3 or 5 step drops.

Instead you had Kap holding the ball too long.

It doesn't make sense to have 3 step and 5 step drops out of the pistol. The QB will be further back and that will hurt the 3 step routes the receivers run. These are timing plays and the further the QB is back the worse it is.
Originally posted by reno90210:
the 49ers had the wrong game plan, the 49ers gave up the running game early in the game.

Exactly. I remember someone earlier in the week posting here and saying that Roman better not get cute in this game, and I agreed with him. In an environment like Seattle, the last thing you want is to have complicated shifts, motions, audibles, etc. He needed to come out with basic offensive plays to at least get the offense moving and build confidence in the players. The players looked totally flustered and nervous, and such playcalling did not help one bit. Coaches need to know how to help their players build confidence as the game progresses. Remember in Atlanta we were able to calm down and get back into the game by calling 4 straight run plays to Gore. In this case I felt like Roman was again trying to get too cute at the wrong time.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Exactly. I remember someone earlier in the week posting here and saying that Roman better not get cute in this game, and I agreed with him. In an environment like Seattle, the last thing you want is to have complicated shifts, motions, audibles, etc. He needed to come out with basic offensive plays to at least get the offense moving and build confidence in the players. The players looked totally flustered and nervous, and such playcalling did not help one bit. Coaches need to know how to help their players build confidence as the game progresses. Remember in Atlanta we were able to calm down and get back into the game by calling 4 straight run plays to Gore. In this case I felt like Roman was again trying to get too cute at the wrong time.

the game was 5-0

there was no reason to abandon the run and getting action off of the run.

we ran it 20 times and Kap did it 9

as opposed to Seattle's 47

that's been the pattern since Jim has been here and for the life of me I don't understand it.,
When a team runs our game plan against us while we try to run theirs or get cute we lose... it's happened every time

there hasn't been a game where we committed to the run and got beat.

ever under this regime
Originally posted by 9erempire:
It doesn't make sense to have 3 step and 5 step drops out of the pistol. The QB will be further back and that will hurt the 3 step routes the receivers run. These are timing plays and the further the QB is back the worse it is.
Lol you don't have to step back to run those timing routes. Kaep can just time it in his head.

The huge advantage to the pistol is you can run play action on almost any play because the QB does not have to drop back on the 3 step drops.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Lol you don't have to step back to run those timing routes. Kaep can just time it in his head.

The huge advantage to the pistol is you can run play action on almost any play because the QB does not have to drop back on the 3 step drops.
You aren't going to get a lead blocker in the pistol like you would in the I.
Originally posted by jreff22:
You aren't going to get a lead blocker in the pistol like you would in the I.

there are times you spread em out and times you power them.

you power seattle. you punch them in the mouth

OR

you go full spread, you go full out 4wr passing attack against man to man defense.

we were running a tween offense.

an embarrassment
Seems to me that the game plan never changes, even if it isn't working. Maybe I'm missing something, but Harbaugh and Roman don't make adjustments in games, at least ones that work and are apparent. The best coaches know when to throw the original game plan out the window if it's not working, but Harbaugh seems to want to go down with the ship regardless.

One disturbing example.... When the game was delayed, the media coverage said the Seahawks were studying pictures and listening to coaches, the Niners? listening to their I-pods...

So, either they don't know how to make adjustments or just don't. Your thoughts...
maybe others can provide insight in this but even leading back to last year i haven't heard kap saying this before plays.

it was a staple of our offense with alex smith...he'd come to the line w/ 2 plays and pick one

did they get away from this or did i just not hear it?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
still audible, just use different verbiage.
GREEN GREEN GREEN

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Bottom line is, our PISTOL offense doest not, and will not work AGAINST Seattle... Carroll is a freakin Defensive guru.. he prolly spent his vacation figuring our a Defensive game plan to use when he plays us.. Looks can be deceiving, but eyes DON'T lie.. Seattle came, landed and conquered our offense...

Remember back in the late 80s or erarly 90s, when Dallas would always have trouble at Philly because the late Reggie White & Co would ask the fans to be as loud as possible??

What did Jimmy and the Cowboys do?? They went to a basic play calling and used their HUGE OL, and ran the ball down to Eagles' throat.. Emmitt never had a long run, but the OL took over the game and just pounded Buddy Ryan's D.. That's what we need to do here.. we need to be calm, patient and realize that it's going to be a low scoring game when we play Seattle..

This is why Alex Smith would always come up with a victory against them, it's because we do nothing but stay basic w/ him.. Pound, pound, pound, big play!!!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
GREEN GREEN GREEN

This.

They still do it but they use different words.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

yuuuuuup
Yep, that's what I thought... Nobody has an answer.
Share 49ersWebzone