LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Silver Lining in the running game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ironically, the Packers ability to stop the 49er rushing attack, should open it up for the rest of the season.

The 49ers' running game was uncharacteristically non-existent yesterday. The one thing we knew the 49ers could hang their hat on week in and week out, is the ability to impose their will with their sophisticated smash-mouth running game. However, although the Packers stuffed the running attack all game, we learned a few things that are promising for the future.

Over the past couple seasons, the Packers were labeled as more of a soft, finesse team. Frankly, I believe they were sick and tired of that, especially after losing to the 49ers twice last season, and getting physically dominated at Candlestick last playoffs. They spent all off season trying to change that label, both in personel and in scheme. Jolly's back to plug the middle, they took a trip to A&M to learn about the option, they even drafted Eddie Lacy to give their offense more of a physical presence. Long story short, their motivation all off season was directly focused on beating the 9ers, by attempting to match our physicality and trying to slow the defense down with an fast-paced offense. (Bravo to the 9ers for cycling the Dline in out throughout the game.)

Yet, with all that preparation, and I will add in obsession with the 49ers, the Packers still lost. (The 49ers also let them hang around but that's another story)

Because the Packers geared up so much to stop the rushing attack, they finally proved to the league that all of the myths about Kaepernick, are indeed nothing but myths. He was composed in the pocket, looked to make plays down field first, displayed good accuracy and arm strength, and proved he has a relationship with Vernon Davis. Boldin is simply a monster so I feel no need to dive more into him.

Although it was troubling at first to see the rushing attack us fans took for granted the last few seasons be completely shut down, the league was put on notice. If you want to stack the box, Colin will destroy you from the pocket. And rest assured, Harbaugh will NOT let his rushing attack look anemic again. That's his pride and joy, he wants to smash you in the face, and it will return with a vengeance.
First game. The timing will improve A LOT.
I think when it's all said and done we will see the Pack again. I can't lie, those boys played a good game, but they were too worried about the run game/read option and Kaep tore them up in the pocket. Sometimes a team just has your number (Giants/Ravens for us) and I think we will have the Packers number as long as our team is reasonably healthy. With all that being said the Packers look good this season, they are playing with a chip, they are aggressive and hungry!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
they ran better as the game went, when we needed a tough yard we got it, when we needed to go smash mouth at the goal line(like we f**king should have done in the super bowl) we did and gore scored. when we ran a nice sweep away from the fat guys we were very good. the running game is nothing i am worried about
Originally posted by cciowa:
they ran better as the game went, when we needed a tough yard we got it, when we needed to go smash mouth at the goal line(like we f**king should have done in the super bowl) we did and gore scored. when we ran a nice sweep away from the fat guys we were very good. the running game is nothing i am worried about

Amen.
It looked like Packers solution was to line up the heaviest defensive tackles in the league and ask all DB and LBs to keep one eye in the backfield at all times. It worked great for Boldin and Davis.
Packers run defense only looked good because that was their plan to "stop" Kaepernick (sell out against the run). For some odd reason, they seemed thoroughly convinced that keeping Kap in the pocket is the way to beat him.

Believe me when I say, no team we face down the road (unless it's the packers again) will make that same mistake.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Amen.
oh, did i mention the fact that what we did at the goal line yesterday with gore is what we should have done on second and goal from the five in the super bowl?
Originally posted by baltien:
Packers run defense only looked good because that was their plan to "stop" Kaepernick (sell out against the run). For some odd reason, they seemed thoroughly convinced that keeping Kap in the pocket is the way to beat him.

Believe me when I say, no team we face down the road (unless it's the packers again) will make that same mistake.

Agree, pick your poison when you play the Niners.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Agree, pick your poison when you play the Niners.
scratch where it itches

gore started finding those holes between peoples legs by the end of the game, i think we'll be fine. it was the first game for everyone and our starting o-line and gore didnt play much in the preseason, i think theyll get better every week till theyre on top of the league again by mid season.
also i think if this game was say week 3 or 4 matthews would have never sacked kaep or even gotten near him as many times as he did, when our oline is on its the best in football. this game knocked off the rust
Originally posted by baltien:
Packers run defense only looked good because that was their plan to "stop" Kaepernick (sell out against the run).

I agree with this. I honestly believe the 49ers came in with a pass-heavy game plan, and if IIRC most of the runs we ran were out of passing formations.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
also i think if this game was say week 3 or 4 matthews would have never sacked kaep or even gotten near him as many times as he did, when our oline is on its the best in football. this game knocked off the rust
staley was hurt early in pre season i think, our center missed a ton of time, this group did not play much in pre season and as honda said, this game knocked the rust off and we ran it better as the game went which showed they were getting into the flow.
The only reason we looked so inept with our running game is Tolzien spilled the beans on our running formations and tendencies etc...If it wasnt for him I guarantee our running game would have been more effective like it will this week against the Seachickens
Share 49ersWebzone