LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great write up. The NFL has already admitted to messing up on flagging Staley. We should have had a first and goal. Mute point now I guess.

Our secondary can be better, and I think they will improve as the season progresses. Especially as Reid gets more comfortable. But, I don't think there is a secondary or defense that can really shut down the Packers passing game. Not even the Seachickens secondary. I guess the Pack may have an off game every now and then, but if they are on their game, with today's rules, how do you shut that down? You can't. You have to score, or try and run the ball well and slow the game down. The Pack run a lot of offensive plays at rapid fire. When Rogers is on, he runs that offense like a machine and has great rapport with his WRs. People riding our defense are a little off base in this regard. They had some huge stops when it counted.

I agree with you on Nnamdi. Not sure what to think. It was a mixed bag. I still think he will come through for us and have a solid year.
Every time we tried a designed quarterback run it didn't work. The sooner we get rid of this play, the better. Players like Matthews are going to try and injure Kap. I don't blame them. I would gladly trade a 15 yard penalty for a chance to take down the main obstacle for any NFC team. It's disgusting, but the NFL is not doing anything to discourage it.
Always looking forward to your post.
Excellent post!

As far as the extra play crap:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/09/nfl-now-says-packers-not-49ers-benefitted-from-officials-mistake/

I agree w/ your assessments. I'm very encouraged to see the DLine rotation. Our subs will only get better if they get real game experience.

Although Gore didn't put up big numbers running he had some POWERFUL blocks especially on Mathews that were real important.

Question: I didn't notice Patton in the game - did he play?
nfl is now saying that staley shouldn't have been flagged.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Every time we tried a designed quarterback run it didn't work. The sooner we get rid of this play, the better. Players like Matthews are going to try and injure Kap. I don't blame them. I would gladly trade a 15 yard penalty for a chance to take down the main obstacle for any NFC team. It's disgusting, but the NFL is not doing anything to discourage it.

It looks like it didn't work, but you factor in how much teams need to gameplan and time put in practice to stop, it really is something we need to keep. We only need to show it a few times a game to keep teams honest, but it opens up so much more
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Overall i am very happy with 49ers performance. Few things to complain about:
1. The timeouts used due to play clock running out has to be cleaned up. At home there is no excuse. Next week will be A LOT tougher due to noise
2. We will be playing most of season without Manningham and Crabtree. We will need a 2nd WR to emerge. Lets hope Q is healthy all year.
3. the secondary looked as good as it can vs. Rodgers. Not really any complaints here.

Very excited for this weeks game Sunday night.
bullet point number one is something that should be top priority . it should have been last year, it should have been in the off season and here we are
Ian Williams is our starting NT??? Is this true? Sorry for the stupid question but my stream was lower than low-quality.
Originally posted by cciowa:
1. The timeouts used due to play clock running out has to be cleaned up. At home there is no excuse. Next week will be A LOT tougher due to noise
2. We will be playing most of season without Manningham and Crabtree. We will need a 2nd WR to emerge. Lets hope Q is healthy all year.
3. the secondary looked as good as it can vs. Rodgers. Not really any complaints here.

bullet point number one is something that should be top priority . it should have been last year, it should have been in the off season and here we are

That definitely is not going to fly next week or things will get ugly quick
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Unless someone important gets hurt, the Ravens gave us a superbowl ring this season. I don't see the 9ers getting out played this season.

Little early, don't you think? Let's make at least one full pass through the NFC West before we can even talk about that.

Originally posted by socalniner:
Another thing on this issue a lot of our built in calls and signals had to be changed yesterday. there is no doubt that had some effect.
Originally posted by cciowa:

They need to do minimal adjusting and audible calling next week, or else they'll need 12 timeouts a half.
Originally posted by NCB316:
Thanks for the write-up, agreed with everything you said; ESPECIALLY the penalty. Matthews should have been EJECTED. Didn't we see a player ejected earlier in the week/day or something similar? Throwing a punch??

I'd also add that we all have to remember that even though Nnamdi didn't shut anyone down, we were playing against Aaron Rodgers and his quartet of receivers, they are going to get theirs.

Panther DL in the Seahawk/Panther game was ejected just before halftime for FAR LESS than what Matthews did
Originally posted by BrianGO:

It looks like it didn't work, but you factor in how much teams need to gameplan and time put in practice to stop, it really is something we need to keep. We only need to show it a few times a game to keep teams honest, but it opens up so much more

That's a good point perhaps, but I think people are over blowing that idea a little too much.

Green Bay was not actually stacking the box. It looked that way because we run this funky double TE pro set. So basically we have three players in the backfield around Kap. Of course teams are going to attack that straight on. If we don't have anybody spread wide, what else should they be doing?

I think we should shelf it for a few games, then come back to it. If teams start to relax, we can come back to it. I don't think we have to run it every game.
It is frustrating how people are downgrading Kap by implying that the WR's are only open because of his running ability. That is nonsense. Kap is an AMAZING pocket quarterback and that is his greatest strength by far. The running stuff is just a distraction.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
Question: When Dawson missed his first FG was it his fault or the new long snapper's?
Share 49ersWebzone