LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ST. LOUIS RAMS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
JUST WIN BABY!

Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I'd just absolutely love to see us run with a WR trip on one side of the line.

Okay, and I KNOW I'm getting greedy, but a screen to LMJ, Patton, or Gore would make me scream with. I mean... screens beat man.... that's all teams are going to play against us moving forward. Please god, pleeease!

Seems so basic but we've always struggled with those it seems. Remember someone asking Roman why he doesn't or didn't run any screens on a game last year.

Anybody else remember the bubble screen to Patton in the preseason. A couple plays like that would show teams they can't man-up on us the whole game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't screen passes designed to beat the blitz'?

If a respective defender is playing man-to-man -- press coverage specifically -- then that means the defender will already be on the targeted receiver.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Patrick Willis calls 'out of the blue' meeting with defense

Willis is the man. lets bury these motherf**kers on thursday!!!
[ Edited by hondakillerzx on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Everyone in the forums is calling for major changes by this game, but on a short week that is unlikely. I think any substantial changes will be made after this game. I see us using the 10 days between the Rams game and the Texans game as a mini bye week. I think any drastic change would occur then.

Completely agree.

Great point. This week is more about simplifying than changing. (a) field position, (b) time of possession, (c) solid special teams play, (d) run to set up the pass, (e) no turnovers.

Nothing perfect, nothing pretty, just sound football.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

If a respective defender is playing man-to-man -- press coverage specifically -- then that means the defender will already be on the targeted receiver.

Screen passes are great against the blitz. WR bubble screens can work against man coverage, if the defender is playing off. That puts a typically smaller player in a tough spot to make an open field tackle. But yeah, if they're lined up close in press technique they could blow it up.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Screen passes are great against the blitz. WR bubble screens can work against man coverage, if the defender is playing off. That puts a typically smaller player in a tough spot to make an open field tackle. But yeah, if they're lined up close in press technique they could blow it up.

That's the point I was trying to make

Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but the previous posters sounded as if screen passes beat press-man coverage, which is obviously not the case -- drag routes and streaks (assuming we had fast receivers) would be ideal in that situation.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Hell yeah!
If we can just get thru this month at 2-2. October looks a lot more favorable for a mini run before the bye. We even get a much needed break before the texans game on a Sunday nite. But this Thursday game rite now is huge and I'm excited/terrified to see what this team is made of.

Talbert
  • Jiks

Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but the previous posters sounded as if screen passes beat press-man coverage, which is obviously not the case -- drag routes and streaks (assuming we had fast receivers) would be ideal in that situation.
To be clear I was talking about more than the last game. But I still think it can be used.

Screens can be utilized in more than just blitz situations. I could be wrong on this but man to man, especially press, leaves your RB with only the one guy to beat(at the LOS) with blockers ahead of him. Your WR's have to make their blocks though. It's more effective against blitz's, but in some cases it's can be used basically as a run.

Also add in that Indy was blitzing on occasion. So the point still stands. If a LB wants to blitz then your RB(usually) has nobody to beat and hopefully your blockers get out in front.

Point is that we need to get the ball out quicker, that and regardless of the defense and it wouldn't hurt to get it into the RB's hands. Screens have been a problem for us for a while. Even if it's a swing route or a quick hitch, that at the very least gives Kaep some easy throws.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

To be clear I was talking about more than the last game. But I still think it can be used.

Screens can be utilized in more than just blitz situations. I could be wrong on this but man to man, especially press, leaves your RB with only the one guy to beat(at the LOS) with blockers ahead of him. Your WR's have to make their blocks though. It's more effective against blitz's, but in some cases it's can be used basically as a run.

Also add in that Indy was blitzing on occasion. So the point still stands. If a LB wants to blitz then your RB(usually) has nobody to beat and hopefully your blockers get out in front.

Point is that we need to get the ball out quicker, that and regardless of the defense and it wouldn't hurt to get it into the RB's hands. Screens have been a problem for us for a while. Even if it's a swing route or a quick hitch, that at the very least gives Kaep some easy throws.

There are points quite regularly where there can be 3 wide to the left/right and only 1 or 2 CBs close to the LOS. It obviously depends on the other WRs blocking, but they can take away the press coverage and the WR that catches the ball needs to make someone miss.

It's all about execution. Either way it shows people that they can't press and/or man ALL DAMN GAME!

Originally posted by tohara3:

Hell yeah!

too bad he won't play
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Hell yeah!

too bad he won't play

My Cheerios....you've pissed in them
sorry if this has been posted already: http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/910/vernon-davis-takes-key-step

Meanwhile, as expected, star inside linebacker Patrick Willis did not practice Tuesday in the wake of a groin injury suffered in the third quarter Sunday. It would be a remarkably quick turnaround for Willis to be ready for Thursday, though the NFL Network reported earlier Tuesday that Willis said he hopes to play. San Francisco defensive coordinator Vic Fangio echoed that sentiment.

"He's getting better," Fangio said. "He's making a lot of progress. It remains to be seen whether he'll be ready on Thursday or not."

Would be awesome if he could play, even if he had to split time, we need him.
Sick of f**king b******t calls hurting our defense: http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/24/whitner-says-crown-of-helmet-penalty-wont-draw-nfl-fine/

f**k YOU REFS YOU GOT ANOTHER ONE WRONG!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
sorry if this has been posted already: http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/910/vernon-davis-takes-key-step

Meanwhile, as expected, star inside linebacker Patrick Willis did not practice Tuesday in the wake of a groin injury suffered in the third quarter Sunday. It would be a remarkably quick turnaround for Willis to be ready for Thursday, though the NFL Network reported earlier Tuesday that Willis said he hopes to play. San Francisco defensive coordinator Vic Fangio echoed that sentiment.

"He's getting better," Fangio said. "He's making a lot of progress. It remains to be seen whether he'll be ready on Thursday or not."

Would be awesome if he could play, even if he had to split time, we need him.
not at the risk of tearing the muscle. set him, he then has almost ten days to get better. bowman and brooks and justin will have to step up. we need help from the guys who will back up aldon, and we need to hope ray can make it on his gimpy ankles. we should be able to beat the rams without patrick. that is not a ringing endorsement gushing with confidence
Share 49ersWebzone