There are 131 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'll just put my opinions on a few matters here.

I think Kap looked good again this game. Wish he could havep layed some more but hey, what'reyagunnado.

Gore looked awesome as always. I got pissed when Vern was interviewing him and went "Oh you looked like the OLD Gore out there today!" No you dumb troll looking midget, he looked like he ALWAYS does.

AJ I thought had a better game than people will credit him for. A lot of people say "He was on the ground a lot" but if you look, most of the times he was getting yanked on by defenders when he was on the ground. He needs to get a little more muscle on his trunks and then he'll be fine. He had a good reception and it seemed like most of the QBs never even looked his way. You could say that's because they don't trust him, but how is he supposed to earn their trust if they don't throw to him? And that back shoulder throw that was intercepted was a HORRIBLE throw and most likely would have been a TD if thrown correctly.

Dixon continues to impress me. He had a couple missed blocks but he looks a lot faster and stronger this season than he ever has.

Our backup offensive line is horrible and probably the reason we're not able to see much from our wide receivers and QBs.

I thought James had a pretty bad game. He had bad blocking but there were a couple plays where he just didn't have good vision. Especially that one where he tried to jump into the back of his blockers for whatever reason and got thrown backwards.

Eric Reid continues to impress. He's always there to give a big shot or to help tackle someone. I would like to see him run with the ones next game.

Asomugha looked REALLY good this game, just like he did last game. Impressed like hell with him.

Our special teams still needs work. They've been pretty lousy every since we let Costanzo leave.
Everything 2nd string looks awful on this team. I think we are thinner than we believe. If starters go down we are toast.
On the Gray vs Celek battle...

Celek looks like he lost some weight. Almost looks like a bigger WR. Looks quicker but looks like his blocking has gotten worse. Houston handled him with ease like 4 times, Jackson another time. He motioned a lot and went out for a pass a bunch, maybe even 40-50% of the time. Lined up and motioned out of HB at times. Seems like if we keep Celek might hurt our blocking but expect him to catch more balls this year than last.

Gray looks much more bulkier and part of it cold be Celek was blocking 1st string and Gray 2nd/3rd but Gray looked much better blocking. Would throw out a guess and say half the time he went out or a pass. Gray did play a few plays in the 2nd against the 1st string (with 2 te sets with celek) but didn't have to block on either play. Edit: One play did get to block against Houston, cant really judge seemed to be holding his block but Tribune came in and helped so hard to say.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 17, 2013 at 4:23 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
AJ lost his balance on a cut on one play I thought was pretty funny. He needs to have a good game next week to have a shot at ligning up opposite Boldin.
Originally posted by Walsh:
People forget we were one special teams TD stop from a SB win. This is absolutely the biggest concern right now. They need to have a few roster spots for guys who are going to shore this up.

holding
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Everything 2nd string looks awful on this team. I think we are thinner than we believe. If starters go down we are toast.

I disagree. It's not like if one starter goes down we replace the entire 1st string with backups.
Originally posted by xtm059:

I disagree. It's not like if one starter goes down we replace the entire 1st string with backups.

Thanks to the salary cap, who can hold decent players as depth nowadays? Still hoping we could pick up a reasonable OL, maybe a tackle, from the final cuts though.

You must not have watched the 2nd and 3 string defense play then.
Our pass rush looks awesome. If Haralson and Lemonier keep this up it's not gonna be fair.

This statement mmaaaybe true for the offensive side of the ball. But I totally disagree on the defensive side. Glen Dosey & the Pacel or Parcel or whatever that linemans' name is, seem decent for backup linemen. Moody & Whilope(whatever his name is) look like decent backups, haralson & lemonier look like decent backups. P.Cox, Nnamdi, look decent. Safety is where you are probably right too though.

Originally posted by 49ersss:
For me,

Winners: BJ Daniels, Haralson, Cox, Lemonier, Nnamdi, Reid, Chuck Jacobs, Chad Hall, Marqueis Gray, Phil Dawson

Losers: Backup offensive line, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien

Neutral: AJ Jenkins (he made a good catch today but stupid holding call brought it back)
You forgot Stupar
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Haralson will see plenty of PT this season. Cox appears to be a star in the making, he has swag. Jenkins is getting closer to the edge.

The edge of making it or getting cut?
Guys on my CUT list after yesterdays game

#3 Tolzien is just awful McCoy did play better

#43 Dahl why is he starting missed tackles/assignments

#33 Jewel Hampton the kid has no moves as a RB avg 1.7 yards a carry

#88 Celek is a TERRIBLE blocker a liability

#66 Patick Omameh why is he still playing

# 78 Joe Looney played awful

P.S. Special Teams coverage is still TERRIBLE
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Haralson will see plenty of PT this season. Cox appears to be a star in the making, he has swag. Jenkins is getting closer to the edge.

The edge of making it or getting cut?

Are those two different things?
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Did anyone key in on Celek and then Gray? Didn't key in but wasn't happy with Celeks blocking these past two games from the little I saw him.

Gray seemed to have a good outing... wouldn't be surprised if we kept 4 TEs and only 7 OL...

There's no way we only keep 7 OL.. Most of the time you have 7 active on game day.
Share 49ersWebzone