There are 297 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's (Or WR's in general)?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM ]
  • thl408
I'd say they haven't done a great job of assessing a WR's mental aspect before spending a first rounder. We all know WRs are a different breed when it comes to their mental makeup. You want someone that's confident and wants the ball without being a distraction. Crabtree has the talent, but it sure was difficult getting the first contract signed. Jenkins has talent, but is short on the mental toughness.

Crabtree was more of a 'holy crap, he's still on the board' kind of pick, so maybe Baalke was so happy Crabs was there that he just had to take the BPA.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It think that since Johnson was a sixth round pick and Patton is unknown, you just created another AJ Jenkins thread. Redundant, no?

This.
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?
It think that since Johnson was a sixth round pick and Patton is unknown, you just created another AJ Jenkins thread. Redundant, no?

So what you are saying is that we should cut Aj Jenkins?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
oh look, another AJ Jenkins thread
Originally posted by English:
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?

Guy is still out of the league 2 years removed from being drafted.

I'm highlighting a limited body of work and the results are not desirable. Period!
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Seriously?

I'm highlighting a limited body of work and the results are not desirable. Period!

A ton of 6th round picks are out of the League.

You aren't highlighting a limited body of work so much as drawing conclusions from virtually zero data.
Originally posted by valrod33:

So what you are saying is that we should cut Aj Jenkins?

Do you give him a free pass because he's a 1st rounder? Maybe. But, Jenkins is producing less than most of the other WR's. At which point do you cut-bait and give players like Marlon Moore a chance?
it could be cost driven on why we past on the WRs above ?

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Seriously?

A ton of 6th round picks are out of the League.

You aren't highlighting a limited body of work so much as drawing conclusions from virtually zero data.

I've decided not to take the blind faith approach that you've taken.

Our WR situation is worrisome and I'm trying to figure out how it got this way.
We have been fine. Just watch what Kap does with these WR's. Prior to Kap, we did not have any WR-friendly QB's.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it could be cost driven on why we past on the WRs above ?

How do you mean ?
Well to be fair, we haven't had a great receiver since TO. I'm just as concerned with all the fail-FA WR's we've brought in. And perhaps, the bigger question beyond a keen eye for WR talent going WAY back to even Rashaun Woods, is why can't we develop these guys? And when we do, why does it take so long (ala Crabtree). Is the playbook that hard to grasp? Do they just not have much ability? Desire? Too small/weak? Poor coaching? Not included much in the HaRoMan offense? Hard to get into any rhythm?
NC...no love for Crabtree?!
Share 49ersWebzone