LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

All of our QBs except Kap look like Rivers....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it me or does Kap have the most fluid throwing motion of all of our QBs? McCoy and Tolzien look like Phillip Rivers and kind of push the ball out. I never really noticed that until last night. Just funny to me because one of the knocks on Kap from the get go is that he has an awkward throwing motion (which I don't really see anymore).

By the way, Kap looked real good last night for his limited time. We will be in huge trouble if he goes down for any extended period of time. We would certainly be in a lot more trouble of sustaining play than SEA or WAS would be losing their starting "read-option" guys. Just something to consider...
Kap is clearly above McCoy and Tolzien. He had great throws to Boldin, Vernon and Marlon Moore(Who I am impressed with).

I think the problem for McCoy and Tolzien was 2nd string OL, only guys who played ok were Kilgore at C and Looney at OG. guys like Wiggins, Omamaeh, and Snyder seem like garbage.
Oh, I agree that McCoy and Tolzien definitely were under duress. I'm not making an observation about poor play, I just was surprised how odd both of their throwing motions are. They looked goof throwing the ball even from a clean pocket.
Colt McCoy is a heck of a good QB.

No blocking once the first string was out.
None of them look like Rivers. All 3 don't look like that. I live in San Diego and have seen plenty of Rivers. None of our QB's play like him.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Yeah, I still think McCoy has the advantage, the 2nd team OL was horrible. Makes me wonder if a veteran addition is possible. Maybe bring back Leonard Davis? I dont know, but that Omameh kid didn't play good, he is likely among the 1st 15 cut.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Yeah, I still think McCoy has the advantage, the 2nd team OL was horrible. Makes me wonder if a veteran addition is possible. Maybe bring back Leonard Davis? I dont know, but that Omameh kid didn't play good, he is likely among the 1st 15 cut.

Any word on his shoulder. Would like to see him more, vs Tolzien just winning the second job because of injury.
Yeah I don't think either has that great of an arm. Not a bad arm like Shaun Hill but we are use to seeing Kap now who has a cannon. I think Tolzien pushes the ball at times and both have trouble with those sideline throws at times. Some plays Tolzien riffles it other plays it looks like Shaun Hill. I know you didn't want evaluations on them but IMO I see Tolzien as being a game manager at best. He will make smart decisions, check down and do a lot of short throws. McCoy can be a little bit more than a game manager especially if Harbaugh coaches him up but I would think we would tweak the offense and change our style if they had to come in. We would go back to playing the game more like we did in 2011. Defense, running the ball, short throws, check downs, eating the clock. At least we aren't the Packers... if Rodgers goes down they would have a hard time winning a few games. Time to give up on Harrell I think and Vince Young???? I thought GB wasn't allowed to have a black QB. Only one I can remember was Aaron Brooks. Don't know if they have ever had a black starter. Sorry for going off topic but there are many teams with worse 2 and 3s than McCoy and Tolzien.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM ]
Kap makes the rest of the league look like Rivers.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Kap is clearly above McCoy and Tolzien. He had great throws to Boldin, Vernon and Marlon Moore(Who I am impressed with).

I think the problem for McCoy and Tolzien was 2nd string OL, only guys who played ok were Kilgore at C and Looney at OG. guys like Wiggins, Omamaeh, and Snyder seem like garbage.

This guy was a turnstile the whole time he was in there, made Chilo Rachal look like a stud offensive lineman. Horrible performance, possibly played the worst of any player in the game.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
None of them look like Rivers. All 3 don't look like that. I live in San Diego and have seen plenty of Rivers. None of our QB's play like him.

Maybe it's just me. I thought they looked odd and it reminded me of Rivers (who has the oddest throwing motion I have ever seen, though it is often effective). As for Kap, he looked sharp and I don't see any problem in his motion. Hell, sometimes you have to wind up if your gonna launch the ball 70 yards down the field.
Back up O-line was atrocious last night. Nothing more to say except SMDH
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

The guy was just commenting on their throwing motions. Wasn't criticizing the way they played at all.

Side note but maybe we should just change this to the Backup QB Thread or Tolzien and McCoy thread?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by VANiner:
Maybe it's just me. I thought they looked odd and it reminded me of Rivers (who has the oddest throwing motion I have ever seen, though it is often effective). As for Kap, he looked sharp and I don't see any problem in his motion. Hell, sometimes you have to wind up if your gonna launch the ball 70 yards down the field.

I think your thread title makes people think you mean they play like Rivers when you are referring to their throwing motions and I would agree like I said at times I see Tolzien pushing the ball. Some people just read the thread titles and not the post unfortunately.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

The guy was just commenting on their throwing motions. Wasn't criticizing the way they played at all.

Side note but maybe we should just change this to the Backup QB Thread or Tolzien and McCoy thread?

OK, my bad. Didn't read the OP.

I think Tolzien has a similar throwing arm motion to Rivers. But let me say this -- Rivers has one of the most f*cked up footwork in the NFL for a qb. He's been getting away with it because of whatever arm he's got. No qb should endure the indignity of the comparison in that regard, especially our very own backup QBs Harbaugh has too much self respect to let his qb slide on the footwork.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone