LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 355 users in the forums

Whats up with Mario Manningham?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
With the problems they've had with Aldon Smith, I'd be astonished if they took a chance on Gordon. Again, one mistake and he's gone for a year. Come on people. This isn't Madden. Something like that has consequences not just for the team playing, but for the cap and the draft.

I don't think the Madden analogy works in this case. Yes Gordon is a high risk in terms of character, but the only tangible down side would be losing picks and/or a player for nothing in return. Gordon's salary is cap friendly to begin with and if he was suspended I don't think we'd be on the hook to pay him anymore.

I'm not saying this makes it more plausible that we make the move, but the prospect of it happening isn't a Madden-esque pipe dream.
I'm wondering if part of the reason Kyle Williams has seemed a bit down lately is that he has seen that Manningham is looking pretty good in his recovery and since Williams and Kap haven't gotten much going, Williams is seeing the writing on the wall (kick receiver and WR standby and then later in the year maybe not even dress for games).
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/393015158957944832

"Mario Manningham moving around very well at practice. He's one if the players Harbaugh said "might" be elevated to 53-man roster this week."

I say elevate him and cut some of the dead weight. Marlon Moore is just taking up a roster spot and doing nothing.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I'm wondering if part of the reason Kyle Williams has seemed a bit down lately is that he has seen that Manningham is looking pretty good in his recovery and since Williams and Kap haven't gotten much going, Williams is seeing the writing on the wall (kick receiver and WR standby and then later in the year maybe not even dress for games).

No he just sucks.
I'm excited for Manningham to come back. He's by no means gonna save our WR corps, and he'd probably be a low-end #2 WR on other teams (or an excellent #3 on others), but he's a legit WR. He's not going to catch 10 balls for 200 yards, but he'll catch 3 or 4 key ones for 50 yards.

With Frank Gore running well, Boldin taking up double-teams, VD presenting match-up problems, and the threat of a Kaep scramble, Manningham will have opportunities that he will definitely win.

The question is, how will he, and Michael Crabtree, look coming off injuries. With those two healthy and playing at a decent level, it puts us back at the Super Bowl contender level that I think we'd fallen off of early in the season. Right now, I think we're kind of iffy.
i say dont elevate manningham. let him rest this week and the bye just so he has 2 more weeks and comes back even better. besides not like we need help playing the jaguars. henne is their QB, we just have to not do anything dumb and we will likely win by 15-20.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by 49erphan:

No he just sucks.

Maybe Kyle's injury has something to do with it. Makes me wonder about Manningham to. Anyone can look good in practice.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersush:
i say dont elevate manningham. let him rest this week and the bye just so he has 2 more weeks and comes back even better. besides not like we need help playing the jaguars. henne is their QB, we just have to not do anything dumb and we will likely win by 15-20.

More the reason to activate him. Manningham certainly won't be the focal point in the offense anyway so give him some snaps to feel the game speed and the defenders on him. Practice is one thing but getting used to being on the field on gameday is a different thing. Against the Jags, its probably like practice anyway.
Yeah for sure if there's any game you might wanna bring Manningham back it might be this one simple because of the team we're playing. I've always been a fan of Mario and I think he's sometimes underrated in the league. But he's just what the doctor ordered because he can get open. Last year he and Kap seemed to hook up well especially in the Saints game. And we all know he can be a clutch player.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
With the problems they've had with Aldon Smith, I'd be astonished if they took a chance on Gordon. Again, one mistake and he's gone for a year. Come on people. This isn't Madden. Something like that has consequences not just for the team playing, but for the cap and the draft.

Agree and would also be astonished. Just not worth the risk given the players likely to come back and make a difference.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Let's pretend the FO doesn't give a eff about his character issues....Even IF the FO traded for Josh Gordon, what makes anyone think he'd be able to pick up this complex playbook on the fly (at mid-point in the season mind you)? Is there any recent historical evidence of a WR (or any offensive player for that matter) being traded from one team to another at the 11th hour of the trade deadline and actually played at a high level with their new squad?? I can't think of any. It's like asking a guy who has spoken French for the past 2 years to suddenly speak fluent Chinese in 3 weeks.
[ Edited by SaksV on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM ]
Originally posted by SaksV:
Let's pretend the FO doesn't give a eff about his character issues....Even IF the FO traded for Josh Gordon, what makes anyone think he'd be able to pick up this complex playbook on the fly (at mid-point in the season mind you)? Is there any recent historical evidence of a WR (or any offensive player for that matter) being traded from one team to another at the 11th hour of the trade deadline and actually played at a high level with their new squad?? I can't think of any. It's like asking a guy who has spoken French for the past 2 years to suddenly speak fluent Chinese in 3 weeks.

Mandarin or Cantonese?
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by SaksV:

Mandarin or Cantonese?

LOL.

Here is the thing, WR position is the easiest position to pickup within an offense.

Also Crabtree missed 5 games his rookie season and came in and performed pretty well. I understand that it wasn't Harbaughs offense, but the difficulty in a WR picking up an offense is so over exaggerated around here its not even funny. These are professional athletes. This is not the Same as a QB, or even a RB/OL.

Now Chemistry with a QB is another topic but as far as picking up the playbook? Not that difficult for a professional WR.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I'm excited for Manningham to come back. He's by no means gonna save our WR corps, and he'd probably be a low-end #2 WR on other teams (or an excellent #3 on others), but he's a legit WR. He's not going to catch 10 balls for 200 yards, but he'll catch 3 or 4 key ones for 50 yards.

With Frank Gore running well, Boldin taking up double-teams, VD presenting match-up problems, and the threat of a Kaep scramble, Manningham will have opportunities that he will definitely win.

The question is, how will he, and Michael Crabtree, look coming off injuries. With those two healthy and playing at a decent level, it puts us back at the Super Bowl contender level that I think we'd fallen off of early in the season. Right now, I think we're kind of iffy.

The threat of crabs n mario has to be respected by opposing defences! They wanna play them soft n stay doubling boldin then its easy pickings for sure. Same with davis, it becomes a pick your poison. With davis crabs boldin mario, gore and the threat of kaep and yes the passes to miller! It opens us up on offense imo
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude needs to bulk up, he's too skinny.
Share 49ersWebzone