LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 350 users in the forums

Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey everyone new to the Forum.. been a 9ers fan since the early 90s..
Anyways to my topic...

How do yall feel about McCoy as a back up and his capability to run the offense and win games if Kap happens to catch an injury?
Kap was able to work in the system a whole year and half before having to come in, and he was primed and ready for the spot light.
He wont be as good of a back up as Alex Smith, but I'll take him. Seems like a smart kid with a lot of potential, and I think Harbaugh will maximize his talent!
the niners have been impressed on what they've seen. So I trust them more than myself.

No offense to him but I hope he doesn't see one snap UNLESS the game is in a 49er blowout.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The more blow outs in our favor, the more we can rest players.
I see McCoy having similar skillset to Alex Smith. Remember, before Harbaugh, Alex and McCoy were essentially the same thing.
This team has transformed into one where you plug someone in and there's a good chance they will have success. Reminds me of when Steve would go down in the 90's for a few games. No problem, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac would come in and dominate too. That's what you get with a good coaching staff and scheme, what a change from the previous years. Colt is a quality QB who played for a low quality team that is a ship without a rudder currently, looking forward to see his talent with coaches who know how to use it.
He seems to be getting some good mentions in the press
"Bono & Grbac wasn't enough"

Prepare for this guy to have a few good games and get signed by the Chiefs
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I see McCoy having similar skillset to Alex Smith. Remember, before Harbaugh, Alex and McCoy were essentially the same thing.

So McCoy likes corndogs too?
I think the competition with Tolzein may be closer than we are making it. By picking up McCoy, the team signaled they aren't looking for someone to come and run the Kapernick offense. The backup, whoever he is, will be running the Alex Smith offense.

If you recall, Tolzein looked pretty good in that offense last preaseason, as good or better than our current starter at times. McCoy is a good ball player in my opinion, limited by his physical abilities, but has a good football mind and a serious competition in him. But he also has to learn a new offense over one training camp whereas Tolzein (am I spelling this right?)is going into his 3rd season with the team and 2nd full training camp.

I still like McCoy to win out the #2 job, but I think there is some legit competition for the job.

Originally posted by defenderDX:

So McCoy likes corndogs too?

Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I think the competition with Tolzein may be closer than we are making it. By picking up McCoy, the team signaled they aren't looking for someone to come and run the Kapernick offense. The backup, whoever he is, will be running the Alex Smith offense.

If you recall, Tolzein looked pretty good in that offense last preaseason, as good or better than our current starter at times. McCoy is a good ball player in my opinion, limited by his physical abilities, but has a good football mind and a serious competition in him. But he also has to learn a new offense over one training camp whereas Tolzein (am I spelling this right?)is going into his 3rd season with the team and 2nd full training camp.

I still like McCoy to win out the #2 job, but I think there is some legit competition for the job.
Agree, but I have always liked Tolzien and the potential he demonstrates. Still pulling for him to be Kap's backup and to get some playing time if scores permit.

McCoy is a more accurate passer and a better runner.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
McCoy is a more accurate passer and a better runner.

McCoy - 58.3% 6.25 yd/att
Smith (circa 2011) - 57.1% 6.20 yd/att

Very similar
Originally posted by verb1der:
He wont be as good of a back up as Alex Smith, but I'll take him. Seems like a smart kid with a lot of potential, and I think Harbaugh will maximize his talent!

Yea but him plus two draft picks is better than Alex Smith...
Share 49ersWebzone