LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Carlos Rodgers thinks he's a starter....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cools:
I think the original poster nailed it.

Carlos starts at LCB, Brown at RCB
Asomugha steps in as the RCB in the Nickle, Brown moves inside to cover the slot
This would keep Asomugha fresh, and also playing in his natural position on the right side.
Ive read Brown is our quickest CB, he seems well suited to cover those small slot guys

Though last year, they moved Carlos to the slot and put Culliver in at LCB

Culliver could drop to the 4th CB spot, but still be the primary backup and hier apparent to the LCB spot

Completely agree
Originally posted by SD49ers:
Completely agree

So you trust Rogers more than Culliver... Yes Culliver did have some WTF plays in the SuperBowl, but a week before the playoffs Who would you of rather had covering the receiver on the game winning pass. I for one would have hoped to God it was Brown and if not Brown then Culliver...lets not let an inexperienced players first SuperBowl performance cloud our judgement.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on May 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM ]
Frank Gire thinks he's a starter
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Completely agree

So you trust Rogers more than Culliver... Yes Culliver did have some WTF plays in the SuperBowl, but a week before the playoffs Who would you of rather had covering the receiver on the game winning pass. I for one would have hoped to God it was Brown and if not Brown then Culliver...lets not let an inexperienced players first SuperBowl performance cloud our judgement.
Hmmm, pro bowler, vs unrested 3rd round project. Yeah, I'll take Rogers,
  • Veteran
He'll start in the slot.

1. Rogers was not a pro bowler last year hence the regression.

2. Culliver allowed the lowest percentage of 1st downs and touchdowns over every other CB in THE NFL, he played at an all pro level..
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

3. While Rogers was routinely covering the slot... Culliver was consistently taking on teams # 1 receivers and dominating them.

He is not an untested third round project, he is a F-cking stud who had a bad game!
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on May 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM ]

2. Culliver allowed the lowest percentage of 1st downs and touchdowns over every other CB in THE NFL, he played at an all pro level..
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-cornerbacks/

3. While Rogers was routinely covering the slot... Culliver was consistently taking on teams # 1 receivers and dominating them.

He is not an untested third round project, he is a F-cking stud who had a bad game!

Bingo...the team needs to get him some counseling and educate him. On top of that, we need to get him some Adderall to help with his concentration when the ball is in the air. Wait...is this the SeAdderall forum?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Bingo...the team needs to get him some counseling and educate him. On top of that, we need to get him some Adderall to help with his concentration when the ball is in the air. Wait...is this the SeAdderall forum?
I'll still take Rogers . Cully was the only CB beaten deep by a scrub a couple of days ago. a Scrub!!
I'll still take Rogers . Cully was the only CB beaten deep by a scrub a couple of days ago. a Scrub!!

Lol why don't we plan our starting lineup around OTA non-contact drills, and your basing your whole point on info reported from so called "pundits"...

And p.s. you don't know who is a scrub before they are giving an opportunity, Tom Brady was a "scrub" once too, and your right great cornerbacks don't EVER get beaten... Not even once.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
rogers sucks

Nice analysis, professor.

Wow, thought I was the only one who's been seeing/saying this for a while!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101045/the-book-on-49ers-corner-carlos-rogers

I circled back with Williamson for some final thoughts: "Rogers is a tough evaluation. He came in as a first-round pick. He is a first-round caliber tools guy: not small, long arms, pretty fluid, moves well. But he more or less never lived up to that in Washington. His first year with the Niners (2011) was his best as a pro, and not just for the six interceptions. I would bet he will never reach those six picks again. I felt like that first year in San Francisco on a very good defense with a good pass-rush, he was good. Last year, I thought he was an average NFL starting corner. I don't know the guy or know his motivation, but I wondered if he coasted a little bit. He can play the slot, and he benefits from a strong supporting cast. He will not be a top corner who you put on the opponent's best receiver every week. He is a good fit, but it wouldn't shock me if you're looking to replace him, too."
Sounds about right ^

He had a rough two weeks thats for sure. Unfortunately people will remember that and forget about the times where he shut down Calvin Johnson on a couple seam routes, or all the other jump balls that he typically knocked away.

From PFF, passing ratings based on who lined up where:

Carlos Rogers

Slot (regular season only): 86.7 passer rating allowed, 437 snaps in coverage, 76 targets, 52 receptions allowed (68.4 catch rate), 443 receiving yards allowed, 2 TDs allowed, 1 interception, 5.83 yards allowed per target, 8.52 yards allowed per catch, 5.8 snaps in coverage per target, 1.01 receiving yards allowed per snap in coverage, 8.4 snaps in coverage per reception allowed.

Slot (all games, including playoffs): 89.3 passer rating, 529 snaps in coverage, 87 targets, 61 catches (70.1 catch rate), 541 receiving yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 6.22 yards per target, 8.87 yards per catch, 6.1 snaps in coverage per target, 1.02 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 8.7 snaps in coverage per catch allowed.

Left cornerback (regular season): 115.6 passer rating, 155 snaps in coverage, 21 targets, 16 catches (76.2 catch rate), 172 receiving yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 8.19 yards per target, 10.75 yards per catch, 7.4 snaps in coverage per target, 1.11 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 9.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Left cornerback (all games): 112.05 passer rating, 179 snaps in coverage, 23 targets, 17 catches (73.9 catch rate), 187 receiving yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 8.13 yards per target, 11 yards per catch, 7.8 snaps in coverage per target, 1.04 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.5 snaps in coverage per catch.

Tarell Brown

Right cornerback (regular season): 73.9 passer rating, 580 snaps in coverage, 84 targets, 49 catches (58.3 catch rate), 667 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 7.94 yards per target, 13.61 yards per catch, 6.9 snaps in coverage per target, 1.15 receiving yard per snap in coverage, 11.8 snaps in coverage per catch.

Right cornerback (all games): 76.77 passer rating, 700 snaps in coverage, 107 targets, 65 catches (60.8 catch rate), 838 receiving yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 7.83 yards per target, 12.89 yards per catch, 6.5 snaps in coverage per target, 1.20 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.8 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot (regular season, did not cover slot in playoffs): 93.8 passer rating, 34 snaps in coverage, 6 targets, 4 catches (66.7 catch rate), 52 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 8.67 yards per target, 13 yards per catch, 5.7 snaps in coverage per target, 1.53 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 8.5 snaps in coverage per catch.

Chris Culliver

Left cornerback (regular season): 71.82 passer rating, 479 snaps in coverage, 72 targets, 35 catches (48.6 catch rate), 465 receiving yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, 6.46 yards per target, 13.29 yards per catch, 6.7 snaps in coverage per target, 0.97 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 13.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Left cornerback (all games): 79.08 passer rating, 571 snaps in coverage, 94 targets, 49 catches (52.1 catch rate), 737 receiving yards, 4 TDs, 3 INTs, 7.84 yards per target, 15.04 yards per catch, 6.1 snaps in coverage per target, 1.29 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 11.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot (regular season, did not cover slot in playoffs): 131.3 passer rating, 14 snaps in coverage, 1 target, 1 catch, 6 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 14.0 snaps in coverage per target, 0.43 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 14.0 snaps in coverage per catch

Nnamdi Asomugha

Outside cornerback: 121.0 passer rating, 454 snaps in coverage, 60 targets, 39 catches (65.0 catch rate), 632 receiving yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 10.53 yards per target, 16.21 yards per catch, 7.6 snaps in coverage per target, 1.39 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 11.6 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot: 112.5 passer rating, 51 snaps in coverage, 6 targets, 5 catches (83.3 catch rate), 66 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 11.0 yards per target, 13.2 yards per catch, 8.5 snaps in coverage per target, 1.29 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.2 snaps in coverage per catch.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He had a rough two weeks thats for sure. Unfortunately people will remember that and forget about the times where he shut down Calvin Johnson on a couple seam routes, or all the other jump balls that he typically knocked away.

From PFF, passing ratings based on who lined up where:

Carlos Rogers

Slot (regular season only): 86.7 passer rating allowed, 437 snaps in coverage, 76 targets, 52 receptions allowed (68.4 catch rate), 443 receiving yards allowed, 2 TDs allowed, 1 interception, 5.83 yards allowed per target, 8.52 yards allowed per catch, 5.8 snaps in coverage per target, 1.01 receiving yards allowed per snap in coverage, 8.4 snaps in coverage per reception allowed.

Slot (all games, including playoffs): 89.3 passer rating, 529 snaps in coverage, 87 targets, 61 catches (70.1 catch rate), 541 receiving yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 6.22 yards per target, 8.87 yards per catch, 6.1 snaps in coverage per target, 1.02 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 8.7 snaps in coverage per catch allowed.

Left cornerback (regular season): 115.6 passer rating, 155 snaps in coverage, 21 targets, 16 catches (76.2 catch rate), 172 receiving yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 8.19 yards per target, 10.75 yards per catch, 7.4 snaps in coverage per target, 1.11 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 9.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Left cornerback (all games): 112.05 passer rating, 179 snaps in coverage, 23 targets, 17 catches (73.9 catch rate), 187 receiving yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 8.13 yards per target, 11 yards per catch, 7.8 snaps in coverage per target, 1.04 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.5 snaps in coverage per catch.

Tarell Brown

Right cornerback (regular season): 73.9 passer rating, 580 snaps in coverage, 84 targets, 49 catches (58.3 catch rate), 667 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 7.94 yards per target, 13.61 yards per catch, 6.9 snaps in coverage per target, 1.15 receiving yard per snap in coverage, 11.8 snaps in coverage per catch.

Right cornerback (all games): 76.77 passer rating, 700 snaps in coverage, 107 targets, 65 catches (60.8 catch rate), 838 receiving yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 7.83 yards per target, 12.89 yards per catch, 6.5 snaps in coverage per target, 1.20 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.8 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot (regular season, did not cover slot in playoffs): 93.8 passer rating, 34 snaps in coverage, 6 targets, 4 catches (66.7 catch rate), 52 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 8.67 yards per target, 13 yards per catch, 5.7 snaps in coverage per target, 1.53 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 8.5 snaps in coverage per catch.

Chris Culliver

Left cornerback (regular season): 71.82 passer rating, 479 snaps in coverage, 72 targets, 35 catches (48.6 catch rate), 465 receiving yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs, 6.46 yards per target, 13.29 yards per catch, 6.7 snaps in coverage per target, 0.97 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 13.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Left cornerback (all games): 79.08 passer rating, 571 snaps in coverage, 94 targets, 49 catches (52.1 catch rate), 737 receiving yards, 4 TDs, 3 INTs, 7.84 yards per target, 15.04 yards per catch, 6.1 snaps in coverage per target, 1.29 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 11.7 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot (regular season, did not cover slot in playoffs): 131.3 passer rating, 14 snaps in coverage, 1 target, 1 catch, 6 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 14.0 snaps in coverage per target, 0.43 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 14.0 snaps in coverage per catch

Nnamdi Asomugha

Outside cornerback: 121.0 passer rating, 454 snaps in coverage, 60 targets, 39 catches (65.0 catch rate), 632 receiving yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 10.53 yards per target, 16.21 yards per catch, 7.6 snaps in coverage per target, 1.39 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 11.6 snaps in coverage per catch.

Slot: 112.5 passer rating, 51 snaps in coverage, 6 targets, 5 catches (83.3 catch rate), 66 receiving yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 11.0 yards per target, 13.2 yards per catch, 8.5 snaps in coverage per target, 1.29 receiving yards per snap in coverage, 10.2 snaps in coverage per catch.

Putting Nnamdis stats in there is useless because he wasnt benefitting from an amazing front seven like Rogers, Cully, and Brown were.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Putting Nnamdis stats in there is useless because he wasnt benefitting from an amazing front seven like Rogers, Cully, and Brown were.

Oh I just copied and pasted... no way do I have that much free time on my hands haha, they just showed all Niner CBs..
Share 49ersWebzone