LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Will there be changes in the secondary?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brown is obviously our best corner , Rogers has had trouble keeping up with faster receivers in the slot , and Culliver seems to land himself in hot water with his choice of words every other month , even though Cully has potential to be a top flight CB .

and with Asomugha on board , will we have new starters at CB?

or will we play the DB's based on the opposing receivers talents? , or rotate our top 4 CB's based on the personal of the offense?

what do you guys think? ....personally I feel having more options in the secondary will allow us to matchup with the multiple receiver packages that will be thrown at us , plus with more push from our front 7 ...our secondary could be the cream of the crop this season
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I guess I am confused. Do you mean further changes? We have already had a great deal of change with the loss of Goldson, the addition of Asomugha and Reid. Do you mean going after an FA?
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Brown may be the one who moves inside to cover the slot, then bring in Asomugha at RCB

Rogers retains his LCB spot, with Culli his backup and still getting plenty of PT

Cox and Brock as depth

* as a bold and unlikely prediction, I could see the Niners turning Rogers into a safety
Many good CB's turn into good safetys later in their carreer, Rogers has the leadership and communication skills to do it
Probably be Cox or Brock for last spot. However, with the way the secondary is shaping up (or lack thereof) in 2014- We could probably keep Cox and Brock at low end deals, and extend Brown- hence, this may all "factor" in their "decisions".. The Craig dahl signing was this type of "decision", as we got a cheap backup for next yr. along with Reid and a new draft pick next yr. will lock down the Safety positions for a good while.
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on May 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM ]
i don't see rogers lasting too long into the season. he's older now and slower, he won't be able to keep up with all these quick WRs some of our division opponents have brought in via draft or FA. I would like to see Namdi and Culvier take over the starting jobs, with Brown as a nickel corner.
Originally posted by fropwns:
I guess I am confused. Do you mean further changes? We have already had a great deal of change with the loss of Goldson, the addition of Asomugha and Reid. Do you mean going after an FA?

no , I guess I mean do you guys think we will have clear cut starters at CB , or will we alternate our CB's based on opposing offenses personal packages.....

I've heard other fans call for Cully and Asomugha to start, and move Brown to the slot?

personally I feel we will play a lot of nickel this year anyway ....plus Reid will be a day #1 starter , but I was curious as to your guys thoughts on alternating our CB's since we will have a lot of depth ?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
i don't see rogers lasting too long into the season. he's older now and slower, he won't be able to keep up with all these quick WRs some of our division opponents have brought in via draft or FA. I would like to see Namdi and Culvier take over the starting jobs, with Brown as a nickel corner.
He looked way worse and slower than Rogers. And you want to start him and Culliver over Brown? Nah
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Base D: Brown (Right Corner), Rogers (Left Corner), Reid (Right Safety), Whitner (Left Safety)

Nickle D: Brown (Right Corner), Culliver (Left Corner), Rogers (Slot Corner), Asomugha (Free Safety), Whitner (Strong Safety)

Dime: Asomugha (Right Corner), Rogers (Left Corner), Brown (Slot Corner), Culliver (Slot Corner), Reid (Right Safety), Whitner (Left Safety)
Share 49ersWebzone