LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

49ers Players that will surprise us this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by cciowa:
if you release kyle,, who returns punts? mario will not be able to start the year which opens up a temp spot for a wide out. Kyle has made the most of his given chances, jenkins has not so far and patton is a real unknown. Kyle stays in my opinion

Do you have a link on Mario not starting the season? Everything I keep reading says he will probably not be ready for training camp but could be ready for the regular season. Obviously he will not be in game shape in that circumstance but I keep hearing posters saying "he will not be ready for the season" , or "he will miss a month or two of the season." Where are people getting this information from, because I've goggled the heck out of it?

I think that given the severity of his injury and how late into the season (week 16) they were it's not too much of a stretch to say he'll probably start the season on the PUP list.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If it's Jenkins as a deep threat and Nnamdi as a lock-down press guy, the Niners are going all the way.

This is every fans wet dream lol...
I constantly read how Culliver will "only get better". What makes WZers so sure about this? What exactly has Culliver done from yr 1 to yr 2 that shows he will be better? I believe Culliver will regress and may already be close to his max potential. The guy just doesn't have proper CB ball skills.

Patton will surprise this year IMO.
[ Edited by 49erMike on May 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM ]
VD
Kaepernik still has chip from SB and our rookie DLinemen will make our D look energized.
Originally posted by 49erMike:
I constantly read how Culliver will "only get better". What makes WZers so sure about this? What exactly has Culliver done from yr 1 to yr 2 that shows he will be better? I believe Culliver will regress and may already be close to his max potential. The guy just doesn't have proper CB ball skills.

I believe the thinking is that he is pretty good at staying with a receiver, he has prototype size and his only problem is finding the ball in the air. If they can work on that with him, he should be a solid corner. During the season, PFF actually rated him pretty high among starting corners.

Outside of the Superbowl (his worst game of his career) where did he give up a big play. i understand it was in the biggest game of the season and he ran his mouth at the wrong time.

GB he won it for us with the knockdown at the end.
i dont recall him getting destroyed anytime during the season.

is he going to turn into Deion? no...but he'll be a solid #2 for the next 5 years i think.
If it's Jenkins as a deep threat and Nnamdi as a lock-down press guy, the Niners are going all the way.

THIS^^^^^
Chris Culliver - Lots of baggage that he has to dump and take his next steps as a CB. Hopefully he will cover the slot.

Asomugha - Hopefully he will get back into his groove and give us some quality time as a CB.

Looney/Kilgore - Looks like they will start to define themselves as clear backups and may even push our starting center off the field.

Dobbs/Tukuafu - They will either have to step up to the plate and show themselves as quality players or be dumped.

Dorsey/Williams - One or both will have to become starters..

Williams/Jenkins - We will have to see some progress out of either one or both for them to remain on the team.

L. James - Hopefully he will be a regular RB and he will have to take his next steps as a punt returner.

Coach Seely - He needs to rebound to get his special teams to play much better than last season.

Aldon Smith - He needs to show that he has rebounded and that he can pass rush on his own. He needs to take his next step in development as well.

J. Smith - Fully recovered from his injury and can return to his 2011 form. Hopefully he will have 2 years left in the tank.

Kaepernick - Show more touch on his passes and better view of where his receivers are.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Chris Culliver - Lots of baggage that he has to dump and take his next steps as a CB. Hopefully he will cover the slot.

Asomugha - Hopefully he will get back into his groove and give us some quality time as a CB.

Looney/Kilgore - Looks like they will start to define themselves as clear backups and may even push our starting center off the field.

Dobbs/Tukuafu - They will either have to step up to the plate and show themselves as quality players or be dumped.

Dorsey/Williams - One or both will have to become starters..

Williams/Jenkins - We will have to see some progress out of either one or both for them to remain on the team.

L. James - Hopefully he will be a regular RB and he will have to take his next steps as a punt returner.

Coach Seely - He needs to rebound to get his special teams to play much better than last season.

Aldon Smith - He needs to show that he has rebounded and that he can pass rush on his own. He needs to take his next step in development as well.

J. Smith - Fully recovered from his injury and can return to his 2011 form. Hopefully he will have 2 years left in the tank.

Kaepernick - Show more touch on his passes and better view of where his receivers are.

and getting the plays / audibles off quicker

I believe the thinking is that he is pretty good at staying with a receiver, he has prototype size and his only problem is finding the ball in the air. If they can work on that with him, he should be a solid corner. During the season, PFF actually rated him pretty high among starting corners.

I remember that PFF article. What I saw was Culliver making some decent plays during the first half of the season and then falling completely apart. He's extremely immature and willing throw teammates under the bus. I will go out on a limb and say his mouth and attitude will get him in more trouble.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:

Outside of the Superbowl (his worst game of his career) where did he give up a big play. i understand it was in the biggest game of the season and he ran his mouth at the wrong time.

GB he won it for us with the knockdown at the end.
i dont recall him getting destroyed anytime during the season.

is he going to turn into Deion? no...but he'll be a solid #2 for the next 5 years i think.

I can't remember which games, but I remember him face guarding A LOT. The SB definitely wasn't his only bad game. I believe he can be a solid corner, but nothing close to elite.
To me, one of the most frustrating things about last season was that at least once or twice a game, Culliver would be completely ON a receiver tight, but he would fail to find the ball in the air and the receiver would go up and get it with Culliver draped all over him. Culliver clearly has speed and quickness. He has size and height. He plays the run well. If they can just teach him to the ball in the air more often, it will be a huge improvement, IMO.
alex smith

Bowman wins DPOY.
Share 49ersWebzone