LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

? for board members on draft pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does anyone know what has to be achieved for the Alex Smith/Chiefs draft pick to go from a 3rd round pick to a 2nd round pick? Thanks in advance for any information provided.
Tim Kawakami tweeted the Chiefs would have to win a certain # of games for it to go from a 3rd to a 2nd. Don't think either shared what the number is yet although I am sure they know. If I guessed it would be maybe 9 or 10.

Either way I am happy as our 1st 3 rounds based on the KC factor and Goldson comp or not will look like one of these:

1, 2, 3, 3, 3 = No Goldson Comp, KC doesn't win enough games
1, 2, 2, 3, 3 = No Goldson comp, KC wins enough games
1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 = Goldson Comp, KC wins enough Games (best scenario)
1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3 = Goldson comp, kc doesn't win enough games

SS, CB, WR, etc could be all big needs. Will need them again to continue to replace guys and build for the future. We can trade up to get a higher first or an extra first or an extra 2nd or trade to build up picks for 2015.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM ]
Just revealed this morning...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/if-chiefs-go-8-8-they-owe-49ers-a-second/

Peter King of Sports Illustrated has filled in the blanks on the conditional 2014 pick the Chiefs owe the 49ers to complete the Alex Smith trade, noting that it's a second-rounder if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, but will be a third if they're 7-9 or worse. Getting to .500 could be a reasonable goal for the Chiefs, who have checked off many boxes this offseason, beginning with finding a QB. And the better Smith plays, the better able his old team will be to make more draft-day moves. The 49ers could have as many as three extra third-rounders in addition to their own picks, which would mean six of the first 100 picks.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
NICE! Can't wait for next year's draft.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Tim Kawakami tweeted the Chiefs would have to win a certain # of games for it to go from a 3rd to a 2nd. Don't think either shared what the number is yet although I am sure they know. If I guessed it would be maybe 9 or 10.

Either way I am happy as our 1st 3 rounds based on the KC factor and Goldson comp or not will look like one of these:

SS, CB, WR, etc could be all big needs. Will need them again to continue to replace guys and build for the future. We can trade up to get a higher first or an extra first or an extra 2nd or trade to build up picks for 2015.

not could they WILL be big needs. all our WR are either coming off an injury or 1 year contracts. who knows if crabtree resigns (i dont think he will). whitner a FA next year. rogers (salary) and asoumgha (skill) aren't locks to return. 2014 this team will look vastly different.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/if-chiefs-go-8-8-they-owe-49ers-a-second/

Peter King of Sports Illustrated has filled in the blanks on the conditional 2014 pick the Chiefs owe the 49ers to complete the Alex Smith trade, noting that it's a second-rounder if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, but will be a third if they're 7-9 or worse. Getting to .500 could be a reasonable goal for the Chiefs, who have checked off many boxes this offseason, beginning with finding a QB. And the better Smith plays, the better able his old team will be to make more draft-day moves. The 49ers could have as many as three extra third-rounders in addition to their own picks, which would mean six of the first 100 picks.

So either the 49ers get a high 3rd round pick or a middle-of-the-round 2nd. Still good eitherway.
  • thl408
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for thl408.
Does it matter if Alex is actually the QB of those 8 wins? If for some reason he is not starting (or playing) in those 8 wins, do the 49ers still get the 2nd rounder?
Originally posted by thl408:
Does it matter if Alex is actually the QB of those 8 wins? If for some reason he is not starting (or playing) in those 8 wins, do the 49ers still get the 2nd rounder?

I don't believe it does they win 8 we get a 2nd round pick.
[ Edited by Rizvi49er on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

so its gonna be a 3rd rounder you say.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

not could they WILL be big needs. all our WR are either coming off an injury or 1 year contracts. who knows if crabtree resigns (i dont think he will). whitner a FA next year. rogers (salary) and asoumgha (skill) aren't locks to return. 2014 this team will look vastly different.

SS likely a need, CB likely a need depending on what happens with Nnamdi and Rogers, and WR...who the hell knows. Crab has 2 years left. AJ and Patton will both be under contract. It really depends on how Boldin, Maningham, Jenkins and Patton play.

Originally posted by susweel:

Ya know, peeps keep making that joke, but I'm not so sure. More talent on that roster than people realize, a decent coach, some good rookies and an easy schedule.....8-8 isn't out of the question
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by susweel:

Ya know, peeps keep making that joke, but I'm not so sure. More talent on that roster than people realize, a decent coach, some good rookies and an easy schedule.....8-8 isn't out of the question

yes Im hopeful they can "manage" 8 wins. but I wouldnt bet on it.

I agree.

I see the Chiefs finishing 2nd in the AFC West. Teams that are 2nd in their division typically finish 7-9, 8-8 or better. So it's a very real possibility. It was only a couple years they were a 10-6 playoff team with a lot of the same players. They just needed to find the right HC and QB. Reid and Alex should help stabilize things there.

I want that 2nd rounder!!!!
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I agree.

I see the Chiefs finishing 2nd in the AFC West. Teams that are 2nd in their division typically finish 7-9, 8-8 or better. So it's a very real possibility. It was only a couple years they were a 10-6 playoff team with a lot of the same players. They just needed to find the right HC and QB. Reid and Alex should help stabilize things there.

I want that 2nd rounder!!!!

They do have the Raiders and Chargers. I think Al and Andy could pick up three wins there.
Baalke was a pickpocket in a previous life.
Share 49ersWebzone