LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Our rushing attack

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Disp:
We're pretty set at RB and I don't think we need to devote 10% of our roster space to a single position. Could Dixon be upgraded? Maybe, but then we'd need someone to step up and take those illegal block penalties on ST's.

Freak'n ref missed them usually, then the other team takes it for a TD. Last time it was in the SB
i really would like to engage some people in how dumb it sounds when they run around with the refs vs us conspiracy , i really want to say"now you know why people call us whiners" but I just to not have the energy and i will restrain myself
Knile Davis was an absolute MONSTER for Bobby Petrino. His biggest knock is staying healthy, when he's right though, he is the best looking RB in this draft. A North South plow who hits the hole like a rocket!

However, with 3 RB's, plus Red Beard locked in at FB, that last RB is going to have to be a jack of all trades to make this squad. That's the main reason Dixon beat out Jacobs. I don't really see us using a roster spot on a guy who will get 2-3 touches a game and doesn't play special teams. If we don't draft a RB, I would love to see a current 9er beat out Dixon.....Jewel Hampton....the 9ers kept him around all year so he could compete for a spot this summer. He's not built like a bruiser,( 5'9" 210 ) but is very strong and plays like a much bigger back. I watched pretty much all Big 10 games over the past 10 years. When Hampton was a frosh he would spell Shonn Greene and looked explosive between the tackles. If it wasn't for ACL tears ( to both knees in different seasons ), he would have started and dominated at Iowa.

If we don't draft a RB late ( aside from Lattimore ) , then I think its a sign that they think highly of Hampton to push Dixon and possibly beat him out.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Our rushing attack could easily be the best in the league , I know we are trying to get more weapons for our passing game , another speed WR and TE will go a long way towards expanding the playbook , and along with the pistol, we will have the deadliest and most versatile attack in the game ..and I know Harbaugh and Roman like to run the ball out of exotic formations, so with that said , I personally feel we need to pick up a big bruiser for short yardage situations ...Brandon Jacobs was supposed to be the sledgehammer RB we needed , and that failed miserably , but I still feel we need to find that big bodied RB , Gore, Hunter and James are all excellent backs , and we can do a lot of things with that trio ...but I hope we draft a big bruiser and develop him for the future , Dixon is serviceable, and a good ST player , but I still think we should search for a William Floyd type of back that could also see a little FB duty ....

a solid reserve OT would be nice too .....Boone needs to stay where he is at RG , I want a Tackle that could play both tackle positions, we dont need anymore Guards , Looney and Kilgore will continue to improve , so a true reserve tackle should be on our shopping list

the skys the limit for this offense , and after this weekend we will see exactly what kind of tools we will have to work with ...I have a feeling after this weekend our offense will be STACKED, and the envy of the league

I got a feeling that Dixons luck will run out this year...doesn't make the 53 man roster.
We easily have the best rushing attack in the league.

First of all, we have, by far, the most dominant blocking offensive line.

Second of all, we have a trio of very good backs in Hunter/Gore/James.

I do agree that it would be nice if we had a big-bodied back for goal line situations... that's about the only weakness I see in our rushing attack. The problem is that it's tough to add a fourth back if he doesn't have a special teams role.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kaepmandu:
I got a feeling that Dixons luck will run out this year...doesn't make the 53 man roster.

dixon is not going anywhere, he did a good job in short yardage and after a shaky start was actually respectable on special teams. on our special ed teams last year, "respectable"was about as good as it got
What about the Vikings? Sure their offensive line is not as good as ours but they have Adrian Peterson who I would take over anybody.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
It is the best in the league. Who could possibly be better?

Exactly. This is the reason our o-line is widely considered the best in the league - because the rushing attack is #1. It's not because of pass protection.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
What about the Vikings? Sure their offensive line is not as good as ours but they have Adrian Peterson who I would take over anybody.
you stop him, you stop them. we have a multi phased attack who can hit you with power and speed.. plus unlike the vikings our line can impose their will on anyone. no i would take our gang of six over peterson any day
Share 49ersWebzone