There are 207 users in the forums

Which one of our free agent signings/trades will upgrade their position the most?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which one of our free agent signings/trades will upgrade their position the most?

• Chico
  • Veteran
Phil = better
Voted Dahl for the lulz.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
Boldin is a key upgrade over Randy Moss. Moss did his best at being a good example, but like theninermaniac said Boldin will make our offense even more tough. Outside of Crabtree our receivers aren't very tough, and Crabs has only recently become a tough receiver. With Boldin out there our offense will be known for our tank of a RB, tough as nails receivers and a monster o-line.

.....and much younger too, I think we can get at least 3 good years outta Boldin if re-signed.
How I would rank them..

1. Boldin is a huge upgrade over Moss and Manningham at 2. We finished the last 2 years depleted at WR so this will help us a lot. Will be even more loaded if we draft someone high or in the mid rounds.

2. Dawson should be a huge upgrade over Akers... who wouldn't be? Not sure he will repeat last year though but if he can do better than 75 it's an upgrade.

3. Dorsey at worst should be an upgrade over Sopoaga or RJF.

4. Dan Skuta hopefully brings us another Costanzo but I have heard he is a little better at ILB. His job is to get the ST back on track along with Brock, Spillman, Dahl, Wilhoite?, Dawson, etc.

5.. I see Asomugha as the #4 fighting with Cox right now. He will have to show a lot to overtake Carlos at 3... doubt he makes it to a #2 CB. He is just a name right now... not sure he has much of an impact and doubt he is going to be come in and overtake one of our starters but we do use the nickel a lot so maybe he can take over for Carlos but Carlos was better than Nnamdi last year.

6. Dahl... I see him as a ST leader, a good locker room guy and someone who can bring us knowledge of the Rams. He will contribute on ST and bring experience at backup SS (FS in a pinch) which is something we don't have with Robinson, Spillman (a little at FS), Michael Thomas and McBath.
If it's either Nnamdi Asomugha or Glenn Dorsey, the Niners defensive troubles are over.
Boldin. Let's face it, the Niners arguably haven't had a strong #2 receiver since John Taylor. Without a strong #2 receiver the opposing defenses have had the ability to key in on whomever they want ie double Vernon, put extra players in the box to stop Frank, live off the blitz etc. With the signing of Boldin (turbo charged by Kaep's ability to take off an run) it keeps the defenses honest and more balanced. They don't have a choice.....it's get cute and get burned.

Dorsey is more of an unknown. IF, and that's a big IF the Niners morph into more of a 4-3 defense Dorsey has the ability to shine.
Craig Dahl will win comeback player of the year
Originally posted by KegBert:
Dawson.

We went from one of the worst to one of the best (statistically) kickers in the league, that's a hell of an upgrade imo.

If we'd had Dawson this last season we'd have had the bye wrapped up early.
Boldin or Dorsey
double post
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM ]

Kind of a toss-up between Q and Dawson based purely on upgraded impact for each position. Maybe the kicker just slightly because of Akers' meltdown last year.
Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams with Vernon Davis and possibly another tight end that we draft, sounds good to me. Kaepernick is only going to improve, so I think the offense will have the biggest jump.
Boldin is the Biggest, then Dawson, Dorsey has as they like to say in the draft, the biggest upside. Scheme, coaching and proper use of a player could elevate Dorsey to the potential he was meant to have.

NA, if he can condribute as a press corner to throw off those offenses that really rely heavily on timing can be big.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
Boldin is a key upgrade over Randy Moss. Moss did his best at being a good example, but like theninermaniac said Boldin will make our offense even more tough. Outside of Crabtree our receivers aren't very tough, and Crabs has only recently become a tough receiver. With Boldin out there our offense will be known for our tank of a RB, tough as nails receivers and a monster o-line.

And a quarterback that has redefined the position!!!!HELLO!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
How I would rank them..

1. Boldin is a huge upgrade over Moss and Manningham at 2. We finished the last 2 years depleted at WR so this will help us a lot. Will be even more loaded if we draft someone high or in the mid rounds.

2. Dawson should be a huge upgrade over Akers... who wouldn't be? Not sure he will repeat last year though but if he can do better than 75 it's an upgrade.

3. Dorsey at worst should be an upgrade over Sopoaga or RJF.

4. Dan Skuta hopefully brings us another Costanzo but I have heard he is a little better at ILB. His job is to get the ST back on track along with Brock, Spillman, Dahl, Wilhoite?, Dawson, etc.

5.. I see Asomugha as the #4 fighting with Cox right now. He will have to show a lot to overtake Carlos at 3... doubt he makes it to a #2 CB. He is just a name right now... not sure he has much of an impact and doubt he is going to be come in and overtake one of our starters but we do use the nickel a lot so maybe he can take over for Carlos but Carlos was better than Nnamdi last year.

6. Dahl... I see him as a ST leader, a good locker room guy and someone who can bring us knowledge of the Rams. He will contribute on ST and bring experience at backup SS (FS in a pinch) which is something we don't have with Robinson, Spillman (a little at FS), Michael Thomas and McBath.
nothing more to add good job.... oh i forgot, lets not forget about the wide out we got from miami . i think he can be a good special team guy with good speed who could return punts and kicks and be better than ginn as a sixth wide out? i think he is a very under rated signing. yes i know the irony that i like him but can not remember his name! brisco? our new qb will be more than respectable. i think we replaced guys, improved the team and did not break the bank in doing so
Share 49ersWebzone