Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Man, is that an accurate post. To a lesser extent, Joe used Dwight Clark a lot in the same manner, except Joe kept throwing the ball low and making Dwight slide to catch it. Not as dangerous as high over the middle, but dangerous in it's own right.
It's interesting that you mention that, Beeker. Putting aside that image that people in Botswana are familiar with, Clark sliding on his left thigh/knee toward the sideline has got to be the iconic image of "Dwight Clark in action." I wrote "interesting" earlier because I really mean that. I had always assumed that the low ball to Clark was something that they worked out together. I'm tempted to say that I remember reading something to that effect in the Mercury News, but I really can't say that with any certainty. It really is a pity that those columns and news stories are wasting away on microfiche. They'd be a fun read.
Oh, absolutely it was their "thing". Go back and watch some of those games - Joe knew EXACTLY where he was throwing that ball - so only Dwight would have a play on it. It's why DC was so great on 3rd down ... he'd get 2 yards passed the marker, turn left, head for the sideline, start to slide, and BOOM! there was the ball!


