There are 141 users in the forums

This time, I CAN wait until next year...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Every year since I could remember, from the Erickson years, to the Nolan/Singletary Era, up until last year, whenever our season ended either WAY off the mark or "SOOOO CLOSE" to the playoffs, or even last year "JUST MISSING THE SUPERBOWL" my thoughts and feelings were, "I ALREADY CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT SEASON".

The offseason for me would be spent scouring the internet for any article on the Niners. Visiting the webzone everyday. Looking for rare historical games on youtube to fill the 49er void. I was always so hungry for more, with the hope that next year will be the year.

This time it's different. Not saying the hope is not there, because it is. I have DAMN high hopes for next year, and think we have Top 5 Franchise QB for years to come. The future does indeed look bright, but this time, for me, it's different. This pain stings so bad, that I too, like Harbaugh says, need some R & R.

A year ago or so, I posted a poll asking, "Would you rather have the Niners make it to the Super Bowl only to lose and tarnish our 5-0 record, or would you rather lose in the NFC Championship?". The glaring results by over 80% were that they would rather go to the SB and lose, then to lose the NFC Championship. Well now with both results happening in consecutive years, my answer remains and is actually validated. I would have rather lost to the Falcons then lose the Super Bowl. Especially the way we lost it, having to beat the Refs too...

So this offseason, I will not be tuning into the sports talk stations, reading the webzone, contributing to the forums, keeping up with free agency or the draft... I am spent emotionally, and look forward to picking things back up when the Pre-Season starts... for the first time in over 10 years... I actually CAN wait for football to start.

Have a great offseason my 49er brethren... Always Faithful... Let's WIN it next year...
[ Edited by zozell on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM ]
I understand how you feel. The closer you get to a championship, the more devastating the loss. I'm optimistic about the team moving forward, but I know the Niners are going to be in a serious dogfight with Seattle next year. It would have been great for the Niners to get #6 before this division becomes as brutal as I think its going to be. Too drained to deal with it right now.
[ Edited by RedAlert on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM ]
Wow.

Really?

I want Free Agency to start today, the Draft to start tomorrow and the season to start the next day.

I can't wait to get this all started again. The best medicine for losing to the Giants last year was watching the Niners beat the Packers.
For the last 18 years we have kept our perfect record. I really find it hard to believe that most would prefer another 18 year drought in the playoffs to keep an aging record perfect.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM ]
Folks got some serious loser mentalities around here. Why would i want them to lose to ATL and miss out on that experience and excitement the guys got. Getting the the bowl is a once in a lifetime experience for the majority of NFL players. You see how excited the guys were when they beat ATL? I wouldn't want to take that back from the guys even though I know they are down heavy after the lost. The lost should fuel the flame for next year just like the loss to the Giants did the year before.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Wow.

Really?

I want Free Agency to start today, the Draft to start tomorrow and the season to start the next day.

I can't wait to get this all started again. The best medicine for losing to the Giants last year was watching the Niners beat the Packers.
Yea bro, I don't know why but it's just different this year... maybe all the personal stuff going on in my life... Father of a 1 year old now, just bought a new home etc... I'll never stop being a die hard, but I don't think I will dedicate several hours a day in the offseason to the Niners this year... I don't get paid the millions they do... But I do get the High Blood Pressure associated with it... lol I could use a vacation away from it for the next 7 months
Originally posted by lamontb:
Folks got some serious loser mentalities around here. Why would i want them to lose to ATL and miss out on that experience and excitement the guys got. Getting the the bowl is a once in a lifetime experience for the majority of NFL players. You see how excited the guys were when they beat ATL? I wouldn't want to take that back from the guys even though I know they are down heavy after the lost. The lost should fuel the flame for next year just like the loss to the Giants did the year before.

Not really talking about how the team feels... talking about how I feel... and the pain of losing the Superbowl to me, now that we've finally experienced it... is 100X worse than losing the NFC Championship... plain and simple.
Man I was hoping I wasn't the only one feeling like this. I need some detox time. I spent so much time and energy worrying about the ins and outs of the playoffs that I was completely exhausted after the Super Bowl. I need a little time away to not be so consumed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Man I was hoping I wasn't the only one feeling like this. I need some detox time. I spent so much time and energy worrying about the ins and outs of the playoffs that I was completely exhausted after the Super Bowl. I need a little time away to not be so consumed.
being old school and being used to having the team win super bowls, the game sunday eats me up and is still making me sick to my stomach, esp when i know it did not have to happen this way. we were betrayed by the coaches who are supposed to do what is best for the team,, the lousy play calling at the end was not in the best interest of this team. i do not give a s**t about JH admitting he would like to have some calls back. he should have overrode roman and made the right god damn calls in the first place. and please do not hand me any of this" well we could always bring back nolan"... news flash,, you can like the guy who is your head coach but be very very angry at what you think are legit mistakes he made during the course of the biggest game of the year.. if you are not upset or puzzled at that last series of play calls,, well i just do not know
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

likewise for me. not going to follow the offseason as closely, going to use it to get other things done in my life that i've been neglecting. i'll be there in week 1 to cheer to boys on, but i wont truley be exicted and amped for a game until we're back in the show.

One nice trend - the days of Super Bowl losers sucking the next year seems to be a thing of the past. The Super Bowl 43-46 losers all made the playoffs the next year and the only thing preventing that from being 5 in a row is the fact that the '08 Pats somehow managed to miss the playoffs despite going 11-5.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Wow.

Really?

+1. Baseball and basketball season are just time-fillers...it's all about football and the Niners. I know the new NFL year starts Mar. 12...when does Free Agency start after that? Can't wait for it and the draft...very curious to see what the Niners will do in prioritizing team needs.
I'm upset and would by far rather have lost in the NFC title game as well, but I still CAN'T wait for next year. Winning the super bowl is the only thing that can remove this disgusting feeling I have in my heart.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
making it to the SB is an achievement in itself. Losing in the NFCCG was much worse IMO.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
making it to the SB is an achievement in itself. Losing in the NFCCG was much worse IMO.

i scoffed at tom brady for saying last year he'd rather get there and lose then not get there at all. after going through it, i agree with him. i enjoyed the week leading up to the sb and thats something you usually detest if you've been eliminated in the previous round.
Share 49ersWebzone