LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

QB decision effect on locker Room

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Saying someone is "the Man" is much better than saying someone who's a "playmaker."

Everyone is a playmaker if the make the play. Heck, Alex is a playmaker too.

But Kaep is not "the Man."

Another example....you are a great employee and producer for the company but he's the man (boss)
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Also, just consider this quote if you are looking to gauge the locker room reaction from our very own Vernon Davis:

"When I see him play, I see a playmaker," 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said. "He has so much ability and he's always helping his team out. ... I still think Alex is the man, but it's the coaches' call and I am sure Coach Harbaugh will make the right decision."

Notice how he calls Kap a playmaker, but then he says that he "still thinks Alex is the man." If he wanted to put them on even ground he could have gone back and said that "Alex is a playmaker too" but in that moment of equanimity that all professionals make when faced with difficult questions about teammates in front of the media, when he wanted to say something nice about Alex he chose to not put him on the same level as Kap.
Saying someone is "the Man" is much better than saying someone who's a "playmaker."

Everyone is a playmaker if the make the play. Heck, Alex is a playmaker too.

But Kaep is not "the Man."

Saying someone is the man is a generic non-descriptive comment that doesn't really say anything specific. Sorry, but I'm not impressed by generic little feel good compliments.
As long as were winning games there will be no problem.
2. Akers missed 2 fieldgoals. So if you want to talk about how Kap only led the offense to 17 points, he put us in position for 23, which according to math is enough to beat a team that scored 21 points.

Akers missed one FG. The other was blocked and was clearly not Akers' fault.
Originally posted by captveg:
2. Akers missed 2 fieldgoals. So if you want to talk about how Kap only led the offense to 17 points, he put us in position for 23, which according to math is enough to beat a team that scored 21 points.

Akers missed one FG. The other was blocked and was clearly not Akers' fault.

Fair enough, but my point still stands.
It appears that we are a better team after the QB change, so there is no disputing the decision. Alex is very well liked and I'm sure his teammates feel for him. Kaep is also a tremendous person and player. The team will rally behind him.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
You kidding? I think he has GAINED more supporters in the locker room than anything else. While Alex was QB, everyone was just smiling politely and doing their jobs like good little soldiers. Now, these guys freaking believe man. That confidence that has been gushing over these last two games is no accident.

I think the locker room is a big part of the REASON we are seeing Kaepernick playing on Sunday's.

I agree

x2

I think I read that Harbaugh talked to Vernon and Frank to see their input.

But you can just see it on the sidelines. A lot of players rallying around Kap. Moss talks to Kap a lot. And I also saw Rogers come up to Kap on the sidelines to tel l him good job, all in front of Alex Smith lol

Man I love seeing Moss coaching Kaepernick up like that. That s**t gave me wood.

Speaking of Moss, f**kin A on mugging that Saints f**k in the endzone like he did. That was awesome lol.

yea that was a heads up vet play
Saying someone is the man is a generic non-descriptive comment that doesn't really say anything specific. Sorry, but I'm not impressed by generic little feel good compliments.

and "playmaker" isn't a generic term?

"the Man" is a term of endearment that is used to prop a guy up above all.

What I get is Vernon really wants Alex in there.
The locker room is energized with Kaep at qb. Everyone knows they are a target now as oppose to the security blanket receivers. It shows the team that if you have talent and can put the team in a position to win he will suit you up. I mean he suited up Jacobs and nobody saw that coming. Nothing wrong with what hes doing. That keeps the locker room happy and excitied to play because thats what this deep roster of players want to do.

I think they have strong support for both guys and will back whoever Harbaugh puts in there. I'm sure Smith has more support though because he's been with them for so long.

Originally posted by jreff22:
We didnt dominate NO today. We played very good but it was not a dismantling. If we didnt get those pick 6's this game could of been ugly.

How are we not dominating with those pick 6's?

That's 12 points and we only won by 10 points. With out those points we may have lost.
The comment was, The difference is that we scared Chicago and New Orleans defenses and dominated them

The O did not dominate anybody today.
OK...

two things...

1. Defensive touchdowns take away time of possession from our own offense. So had we not gotten those touchdowns, lets say we had forced punts during those drives instead. There's no telling what we would have done with those possessions on offense. Kap certainly lead some impressive drives in this game.

1. Lets say the D got beat and gave up 14 points.....

2. That excuse was never valid for Alex, hence it cant be valid now.

To me, playmaker means that they are someone that is able to make things happen on the football field due to their superior talent and ability. "The man" is like saying someone is good. Which Alex is. He's good. Or maybe that's just Vernon paying respect to what Alex has gone through to get to where he has, which Vernon has done before. Just saying, its unspecific imo.
We didnt dominate NO today. We played very good but it was not a dismantling. If we didnt get those pick 6's this game could of been ugly.

That's 12 points and we only won by 10 points. With out those points we may have lost.
The comment was, The difference is that we scared Chicago and New Orleans defenses and dominated them

OK...

two things...

1. Defensive touchdowns take away time of possession from our own offense. So had we not gotten those touchdowns, lets say we had forced punts during those drives instead. There's no telling what we would have done with those possessions on offense. Kap certainly lead some impressive drives in this game.

lol not for me. I never used the term "alexcuses" because I always saw them as valid reasons for him, and I see them as valid reasons for Kaep as well. I was and still am a huge Smith supporter, but for me this whole QB debate comes down to "very good" vs. "potentially amazing".

OK...

two things...

lol not for me. I never used the term "alexcuses" because I always saw them as valid reasons for him, and I see them as valid reasons for Kaep as well. I was and still am a huge Smith supporter, but for me this whole QB debate comes down to "very good" vs. "potentially amazing".

Agree. I just want an even playing field when comparing and contrasting.
To me, playmaker means that they are someone that is able to make things happen on the football field due to their superior talent and ability. "The man" is like saying someone is good. Which Alex is. He's good. Or maybe that's just Vernon paying respect to what Alex has gone through to get to where he has, which Vernon has done before. Just saying, its unspecific imo.

Let's not try to over analyze things. We are winning before Kaep was starting so I really question why he's choosing Kaep over Alex when Alex has put up fantastic stats last year and continuing on this year.

You don't lose your starting job due to injury should still apply. The treatment of a team's player is disheartening when it comes from the coach. Don't want to see this happen to another player, not just Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone