There are 224 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not so much the defense in the second half. The 2 punt fake killed it. Defense pretty much stopped the Rams before those conversion. Basically 2 turnovers when you thought you got them stopped getting the ball back. Worse than the defense was the special team yesterday.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Baake really failed in the draft because he could have gotten us some quality d linemen but instead we got a couple of stiffs who cant even dress for games.
i can not disagree with this , esp after yesterdays fiasco

In order to do as you guys suggest, we would have had to use our 1st rounder to take one of the following:

Instead of taking Jenkins, could have taken:
Derek Wolfe, 6-5 295 lbs - started as DE for Broncos in a 4-3 - taken 36th
Kendall Reyes, 6-4 300lbs - backup DE for Chargeers in 3-4 - taken 49th
Jerell Worthy, 6-2 300lbs - backup DE for Packers in 3-4 - taken 51st
Devon Still, 6-5 300lbs - backup DT in Bengals 4-3 - taken 53rd

Or instead of taking LaMike, we could have taken:
Mike Martin, 6-2 306lbs - backup DT in Titans 4-3 - taken 82nd
John Hughes, 6-4 300lbs - starting DT in Browns 4-3 - taken 87th
Akiem Hicks, 6-5 318lbs - backup DT in Saints 4-3 - taken 89th
Brandon Thompson, 6-2 310lbs - back up DT in Bengals 4-3 - taken 93rd

Its not like we missed out on any D-Lineman doing well this year. Only Derek Wolfe is making an impact.
I wouldn't say they have regressed. I would just say that they are getting outcoached. Several times I saw linebackers having to switch to man to man coverage because of an audible and i'm not confident with them doing that. The wrong personnel just happens to be on the field in the wrong situations........a lot. Rogers is also just not as good as people thought, hes just not.
Rams - I think it was crystal clear our team wasn't prepared on either side of the ball to start the game off. Ram were fired up. Other then the first 2 TD's, I thought our D played well. Also there were the 2 special team plays that kept our D on the field.

Dude, even with a fake punt, you can't let Sam Bradford march it right down the field for a TD that late in the game.
We are allowing the least yards per play and the least points per game (not sure if week 9 was included).

The defense isn't our problem. The problem is that an analyst can say we will lose or tie if a team scores 24 on us.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I really feel like the depth on the DL and LB are whats hurting us. We rotated bodies last year. Aldon was coming in only on passing downs and he was unstoppable. This year Aldon is an every down player and at times he's having to cover and we see him get beat at times. The defense gets in trouble when they are on the field forever. Last year they were able to pressure the QB with just 4, now they have to send 5 or 6 just to get to the QB leaving guys in man-to-man. Last year the pressure got there quick forcing the QB to get rid of the ball before he wanted to causing TO's for the Niner D. This year the pressure is not there, giving the QB more time to throw which causes our DB's to have to keep up with a Cruz or Amendola which they can't do for a long period of time.

You know what defense is exactly where we were at last year? CHICAGO...and guess who we face next.
I think the d line regressed more then any other area........... I sure hope we can find away to get pressure on the qb
D line, from the run game, to the man on man pressures have all regressed. NO one is beating anyone man on man when it comes to getting to the QB lately. Aldon needs to step up. He was beating fools left and right last year but this year he has been heavily reliant on Justin Smith.
Originally posted by qua9er:
I think the d line regressed more then any other area........... I sure hope we can find away to get pressure on the qb

To me, this is the biggest thing.

Last year, it's not like we were getting sacks left and right, but the bull-rush from our 3 defensive linemen really shoved opposing offensive linemen back. There just doesn't seem to be as much push this year.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by qua9er:

To me, this is the biggest thing.

Last year, it's not like we were getting sacks left and right, but the bull-rush from our 3 defensive linemen really shoved opposing offensive linemen back. There just doesn't seem to be as much push this year.

I get frustrated watching the the opposing team qb have all the time in the world to throw the ball. something got to give!!!! If we get that in order we really can say we have the #1 d in the NFL

Sorry, but its a fact that we most likely weren't going to replicate the number of takeaways we had last year.

Last year we had a ton of takeaways and our special teams (ted ginn) got us excellent field position.

even analyst were saying it would be hard for our defense to replicate the turover margins we had last year.

I think we can't always expect our defense to bail us out of every game
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Sorry, but its a fact that we most likely weren't going to replicate the number of takeaways we had last year.

Last year we had a ton of takeaways and our special teams (ted ginn) got us excellent field position.

even analyst were saying it would be hard for our defense to replicate the turover margins we had last year.

I think we can't always expect our defense to bail us out of every game

That is why we brought in Manningham and Moss so we can get help on offense to make up for the defense. Some games it works, some games it doesn't.
I think our defensive rankings are a bit skewed from beating just really BAD offenses in BUF, NYJ, and AZ. That's fine. Good teams are supposed to pound bad teams. But when the D comes up against even a decent offense that's well-coached and well prepared, look the hell out. That's when we start to struggle and our weaknesses become very apparent...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
and it does not help when you have a supposed pro bowler ripping his helmet off , we have defensive holding and helmet hits to quarterbacks , sloppy and stupid does not make up an elite defense in my opinion
Originally posted by Method:
This year opposing teams are 5-5 in the red zone. Last year the 5th red zone td against us came in work 6. Regressed. (Per mike Sando).

And yet people would still like to talk about Alex smith.

I hate watching our defense allow 100 yard rushers, That is on the front 7 BUT the passing game is a lllll Carlos Rogers fault! He sucks!
Share 49ersWebzone