LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Theyre sitting Willis in favor of Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Defuego:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/film-review-49ers-coaches-deserve-game-ball.html

Think that about sums it up
Watch the Carlos Rogers interview after the game. He talks about the packages they were in and why Bowman was in and not Willis.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by verb1der:
When your backers are so good that you can put Patrick Willis on the sideline. And came out on top

I just wondered if it's by reputation that Fangio took Willis out. They seems pretty close in talent the way they played the position. He's trying to somewhat disguised what the defense is doing. So with Willis' ProBowl reputation, the Packers will pay attention at all times to where Willis is at. Instead of putting Willis in as a lone ILB, he put Bowman who has a lesser reputation. He may tend to get forgotten by the Packers offense or at least think lesser of. Then BAM! -- INT!

I honestly think it was purely a decision based on match-up according to what Fangio says below

"It's difficult," Fangio said of taking a four-time pro-bowl player like Willis out of the game. "But it's either that or you've got to line him up on a receiver sometimes, which he did a couple of times."Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/brain-brawn-harbaugh-praises-49ers-mind-game-after-lambeau-win.html#storylink=cpy

A big part of Willis' duty is to play the coverage game (cant say the same for Bowman)...but when packers overload with WRs...it only makes sense to replace Willis with a real cornerback to match up.

Thanks for the find. I realized yesterday they took out Willis for another DB. Just wondering why Willis and not Bowman. Sam and Will is the reason as implied by the Fangio statement.

Thanks for the find. I realized yesterday they took out Willis for another DB. Just wondering why Willis and not Bowman. Sam and Will is the reason as implied by the Fangio statement.
Looks like you're right on the money, qnnhan7. From Matt Maiocco.

Here's how 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio explained it:

"I think Bowman played a little more than Pat did just because the position that's left for that linebacker is Bow's normal position," Fangio said. "But Pat did play some in there, too."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Monday-Morning-Mailbag-Where-was-Willis?blockID=770715&feedID=5936
Was probably overeaction guys, he played every defensive snap last sunday night.

Seems the top playing guys would be J.Smith, McDonald, Brooks, Aldon, Willis, Bowman, Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Whitner and Goldson. Sopoaga has played 15 snaps out of 137 total snaps. Also Jean Francois and Cox are playing little time on defense. Dobbs and Spillman only played in week 1 on defense.
shouldnt make a big fuss about it. We should be happy to have the best ILB core in the NFL.
How is this thread still a thread? It's been debunked. Wow are people misinformed.
Lock this nonsense up please
Willis sits in the nickel in favor of another safety or DB, Bowman is a better pass defender, and a better blitzer. I laughed my ass off at Jaworski, I heard him saying how Pita will eat up Pat in multiple receiver sets, he went on and on about how a 3 receiver set will isolate Pat on Pita, and that was a huge mismatch. One Pat could run with Pita, and two, in multiple WR sets we generally go nickel, so Pats on the sideline and Bowman runs with Pita! Bowman can keep Pita under wraps, Pita will get some sure, but more often than not look for Bowman to cover him long enough.
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Lock this nonsense up please

Please this is old mess1

I'm going to this thread...

Matt Ryan talks to Pete Prisco about the NFC Championship...

Last Drive:
Ryan refers to 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis as the "worst cover guy" on the field for one pivotal play. This was the play late in the game when Ryan suffered a shoulder injury. The 49ers' Aldon Smith impeded running back Jason Snelling's release from the backfield. Ryan said he held the ball too long before taking a hard hit from Ahmad Brooks. Referring to Willis as a coverage liability seems like a harsh assessment for a player as great as Willis has been year after year.
wait which LB can shut down gonzo/graham etc? willis didn't have his best game that day but he's stopped gonzo b4 and he has certainly contained graham...much more than most lb's can do
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Last Drive:
Ryan refers to 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis as the "worst cover guy" on the field for one pivotal play. This was the play late in the game when Ryan suffered a shoulder injury. The 49ers' Aldon Smith impeded running back Jason Snelling's release from the backfield. Ryan said he held the ball too long before taking a hard hit from Ahmad Brooks. Referring to Willis as a coverage liability seems like a harsh assessment for a player as great as Willis has been year after year.

the biggest liability on the field was Matt Ryan who always chokes in the playoffs
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Last Drive:

the biggest liability on the field was Matt Ryan who always chokes in the playoffs

We have the 2 best MLBs in this league
Share 49ersWebzone