There are 268 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Are the Packers hurting at linebackers....if so, good luck stopping our running game. When we pass the ball -- guys that will have a good day with the underneath stuff in the area where Moss and Ginn cleared out-- VD, Crabtree, Manningham, Walker. Smith to VD connection --good for at least 2TDs.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by aaronitout:
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

What happened when Brees got in a shoot out with Alex smith last year? And Brees had the BEST passing season of all time.

Oh...and the most opportunistic defense in the league.... They wear red and gold.
[ Edited by notsoempty86 on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Once again, I would like to point out, that the Packers had the 2nd highest scoring offense in NFL history last year, and they were easily the most unbalanced offense in the league. They have added a RB coming off 3 straight 1000 yard seasons as well.
The NFL is different then 20 years ago...the run is no longer a must if you can effectively use the short pass to set up the rest of the passing game.

Stacking the box will effectively take away the 49ers key to victory (ball control) if Alex is forced into a duel with Aaron Rodgers, against the most oppurtunistic defense in the league no less, he will have to play at a level in which he has never played in the pros.

Alex was forced into a shootout with Drew Brees too. That turned into 5 turnovers and Alex leading TWO game winning drives in 4 minutes.

so good luck.
There are so many matchup problems I see with the GB defenders trying to contain our receivers. One that stands out to me is one that wont get much attention by the fans: I dont think Clay Matthews or any ILB can cover Bruce Miller on any play action pass play.

So much is made of our defense, i think our offensive playmakers are going to steal the show and score often.
This game depends on our pass rush. If Rodgers can sit in the pocket, he will shred us and it will be a tough game to win. If we can get him dirty early and often, nines win 27-20
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
This game depends on our pass rush. If Rodgers can sit in the pocket, he will shred us and it will be a tough game to win. If we can get him dirty early and often, nines win 27-20

This maybe true between the 20's . And I expect the Green Bay offense to move the ball on us early. They are too good. Been together a long time too. But in the redzone our defense is the sh*t too. Further into the game when adjustments are made. We stiffen up and clamp down and do the death roll on them.

SFO north, you are late to the party. The NFL that you are saying is different 20 years ago is not so different for us because the short passing game to set up rest of the passing game and the run was what Bill Walsh innovated popularized and passed on to his disciples like Holmgrem and Gruden who passed it on to people like Reid and Marriucci and somehow you have McCarthy expanding upon that. This new NFL is our old NFL as your very own Aaron Rodgers grew up watching in the form of 49er football. Montana always used Rice and Taylor as running backs at the WR position. Short passes were our running game and the WRs got that YAC. The NFL you speak of, we were doing it 30 years ago en route to 5 Super Bowls in 13 years and 16 seasons of 10 wins or more during our dynasty run during the 80s and 90s. So I don't think we need any education about the WCO. That said, I think the game will be an eye opener for those that think it will be a cakewalk and our team had the plus 28 turnover differential for highest in the league so I would say that is pretty darn opportunistic indeed. Thank Bill Walsh BTW!!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM ]
Im not saying Benson is going yo tear you up, but he is a major improvement from last years backs and he has the NFL best QB and WR core to alleviate any pressure on him.

Idk how much of A-rod you watch, but rarely ever, regardless of the pressure does he make forced and/or errant rushed throws. His composure I'd one of the reasons bed the best QB in the league.
I think you have an extremely talented offensive cast but as much as I support Alex, he is your ultimate liability.
He isn't the kinda guy that can out score the likes of Aaron Rodgers, and because of that the pressure for your running game to produce and produce big is enormous.
Not to mention, the Pack may not be sound on D, but they are very oppurtunistic and give A rod plenty of opportunities. If Alex forces one bad throw that results in a pick, that could mean the game for the Niners, as the last thing you can afford to do is give them an extra opportunity to put it in the endsone with the plethora of offensive weapons on the Packs offense.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Lol I think Harbaugh has addressed the stack the box issue by not only signing Manningham and Moss, but making an effective blocker out of Tukuafu. Harbaugh is doing what Singletary dreamed of doing and thats running 5 yards a carry when the defense knows your running. Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, Dixon and James is a scary backfield. GB is the 2nd most opportunistic defense, #1 is SF. We play a safer game than GB does, I like our odds really, not saying it will be a cake walk but I think we match up well.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Im not saying Benson is going yo tear you up, but he is a major improvement from last years backs and he has the NFL best QB and WR core to alleviate any pressure on him.

Idk how much of A-rod you watch, but rarely ever, regardless of the pressure does he make forced and/or errant rushed throws. His composure I'd one of the reasons bed the best QB in the league.
I think you have an extremely talented offensive cast but as much as I support Alex, he is your ultimate liability.
He isn't the kinda guy that can out score the likes of Aaron Rodgers, and because of that the pressure for your running game to produce and produce big is enormous.
Not to mention, the Pack may not be sound on D, but they are very oppurtunistic and give A rod plenty of opportunities. If Alex forces one bad throw that results in a pick, that could mean the game for the Niners, as the last thing you can afford to do is give them an extra opportunity to put it in the endsone with the plethora of offensive weapons on the Packs offense.

Alex doesnt force throws... and you might as well have alex green running the ball becaus it doesnt matter against this front seven. The seahawks were the only team who was remotely successful running on us and they still lost because they had to put EVERYTHING into it.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]

You keep saying that Alex can't out score rodgers in a shoot out. First off al, we aren't going to get pulled not a shoot out, and even if we do, I'm sure we can hang ( see 2011 playoffs). The only liability in these game is greens bay's weak ass defense.
[ Edited by notsoempty86 on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Alex doesnt force throws... and you might as well have alex green running the ball becaus it doesnt matter against this front seven. The seahawks were the only team who was remotely successful running on us and they still lost because they had to put EVERYTHING into it.

happened LATE in the lions game last year....didnt lose, lol

(i expect the same type of game...niners might fall behind early, but harbaugh will NOT let us get blown out and will find a way to scratch back in and pull out an upset in the waning minutes)

Lol "endsone"

You need to get that opening day 2011 game between the Saints out of your head.

49ers don't play that type of game.

BTW, I applaud you coming on here in enemy territory. I do so myself from time to time.

The big question I have for you is how do you explain your playoff loss to the Giants? That was a tough beating that can't be rationalized solely on Rodgers and the offense being "rusty" or unlucky.

Like I've said before, the biggest matchup issue in any big game the 49ers play this season is how their offense plays against the opposing team's defense. No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

If you can stop the 49ers offense then I would be concerned.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Share 49ersWebzone