Fine article as always.
I thought Hunter played excellent. He had some fine blocks protecting Alex & missed one. He hits the hole fast and hard. When the announcer said that what he did at Oak. was no fluke - he was spot on. This guy is good - real good.
There are 558 users in the forums
Preseason Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,886
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
In response to Hohbie (didn't want the huge quote)
1) Watched live and thought Alex played pretty crappy. Watched again and he did fine.
There is an interesting phenomenon in the audio world known as psychoacoustics. The main idea is that your state of mind and stress level does directly affect what you hear and what you perceive. It is a well-researched human response, and is a major problem for audio engineers.
I think that this happens quite a bit while watching Alex Smith play (or while critiquing any player). Whatever you think you saw in the heat of the moment, with the emotion and stress of the game taking place, there is almost a 100% chance that your emotions are distorting reality to some extent. That is why it is essential to watch a replay or 5 when the stress level are much lower. In that way you get a much clearer picture of what happened.
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Stop making so much sense, Marv. This is Niner Talk. There is no place for that here ;).
LOL! ;-)
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM
- JTsBiggestFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,758
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Anything you care to share about the NFCC that wasn't obvious to most watching it live?
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Marvin how did the Oline look?
Pass Protection...questionable. Run Blocking...outstanding.
Alot of what makes the run blocking look good tho is scheme. The RB have HUGE holes to run through on a somewhat regular basis. It's one of the reasons I'm pretty excited about the run game. I love that they are creative in the run game and don't just run into a brick wall down after down like another coach who shall remain nameless.
And also sometimes pantless.
LOL!
Aug 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Anything you care to share about the NFCC that wasn't obvious to most watching it live?
Not much that we don't already know. The D DOMINATED the game after halftime. The only points the Giants scored were off of the famous special teams blunders. Eli Manning was getting pummeled.
I've read several times how "heroic" Eli was in that game. Heroic my a$$, he got crushed down after down and only threw a TD to Manningham after Brown got hurt.
The real reason the Niners lost tho was an inability to even put up a single point on 4 or 5 possessions to finish the game. If Dixon can convert 3rd and 1, the game might be over. Williams gets all the grief, but even with those turnovers the defense bailed them out time after time and they simply couldn't take advantage of it.
I feel bad for Williams sometimes. He screwed up....no question....twice. However, on the last one...it was well into overtime catching his 11th punt of the night (if I recall) ona wet night at Candlestick of all places. We need to give him a break. I think it was Ann Killion who said it best.
As overtime went on it become more and more clear that neither team was going to "Win" the game. It was just a matter of time before one of the teams "Lost" it. That's what happened.
Aug 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM
- Afrikan
- Veteran
- Posts: 23,670
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Anything you care to share about the NFCC that wasn't obvious to most watching it live?
Not much that we don't already know. The D DOMINATED the game after halftime. The only points the Giants scored were off of the famous special teams blunders. Eli Manning was getting pummeled.
I've read several times how "heroic" Eli was in that game. Heroic my a$$, he got crushed down after down and only threw a TD to Manningham after Brown got hurt.
The real reason the Niners lost tho was an inability to even put up a single point on 4 or 5 possessions to finish the game. If Dixon can convert 3rd and 1, the game might be over. Williams gets all the grief, but even with those turnovers the defense bailed them out time after time and they simply couldn't take advantage of it.
I feel bad for Williams sometimes. He screwed up....no question....twice. However, on the last one...it was well into overtime catching his 11th punt of the night (if I recall) ona wet night at Candlestick of all places. We need to give him a break. I think it was Ann Killion who said it best.
As overtime went on it become more and more clear that neither team was going to "Win" the game. It was just a matter of time before one of the teams "Lost" it. That's what happened.
how come no mention of alex on those last 2 drives skipping the ball to our recievers....or justin smith missing his block that got a defender in the backfield to stop dixon?
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM ]
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Anything you care to share about the NFCC that wasn't obvious to most watching it live?
Not much that we don't already know. The D DOMINATED the game after halftime. The only points the Giants scored were off of the famous special teams blunders. Eli Manning was getting pummeled.
I've read several times how "heroic" Eli was in that game. Heroic my a$$, he got crushed down after down and only threw a TD to Manningham after Brown got hurt.
The real reason the Niners lost tho was an inability to even put up a single point on 4 or 5 possessions to finish the game. If Dixon can convert 3rd and 1, the game might be over. Williams gets all the grief, but even with those turnovers the defense bailed them out time after time and they simply couldn't take advantage of it.
I feel bad for Williams sometimes. He screwed up....no question....twice. However, on the last one...it was well into overtime catching his 11th punt of the night (if I recall) ona wet night at Candlestick of all places. We need to give him a break. I think it was Ann Killion who said it best.
As overtime went on it become more and more clear that neither team was going to "Win" the game. It was just a matter of time before one of the teams "Lost" it. That's what happened.
how come no mention of alex on those last 2 drives skipping the ball to our recievers....or justin smith missing his block that got a defender in the backfield to stop dixon?
...kinda the point. It wasn't any ONE thing. The punt return issues get all the pub, but they lost that game for a number of reasons.
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM
- tohara3
- Veteran
- Posts: 30,815
Great job Marvin! So ready for the season to start!
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
- dtcomposer
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,417
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Yep you have the right idea for sure. I can't and won't ever watch that NFCCG though... too painful.
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
EXACTLY.
Thats why I go back and re-watch every game at least once. Thats why I title this these threads "after REwatching the game". Thats why I've seen the NFC Championship game 3 times.
Yep you have the right idea for sure. I can't and won't ever watch that NFCCG though... too painful.
I have to admit....that game was tough. I usually spend the off-season making Niner vids, but this year it was just too damn hard to spend that much time on them. I kept beginning to start grabbing highlights, but it just wasn't in me because I knew how it all ended.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM ]