There are 170 users in the forums

Watched NFL network yesterday.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The hatred or dislike of CK7 in this thread surprises and disturbs me a great deal. The only real "game" opportunity the man got came against Tampa Bay. And, as I recall, he moved the team crisply down the field in a drive that ended terribly because of Morgan's knee injury.

But in that handful of plays, he showed flashes of arm strength, accuracy and a willingness to sling the pigskin down the field and put it in the right spot.

Did he have any other performance that I'm not recalling?

So why the hate/dislike then?

The doubts against Alex, before the start of last season, were well-founded. He hadn't done anything to prove that he belonged in the NFL. And then he proceeded to shut up his detractors with a series of great performances, and nearly brought home a sixth SB trophy.

But CK7 hasn't been given a chance to succeed or fail. He hasn't had any real time on the field. So, I'm wondering what this criticism is based upon.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The hatred or dislike of CK7 in this thread surprises and disturbs me a great deal. The only real "game" opportunity the man got came against Tampa Bay. And, as I recall, he moved the team crisply down the field in a drive that ended terribly because of Morgan's knee injury.

But in that handful of plays, he showed flashes of arm strength, accuracy and a willingness to sling the pigskin down the field and put it in the right spot.

The doubts against Alex, before the start of last season, were well-founded. He hadn't done anything to prove that he belonged in the NFL. And then he proceeded to shut up his detractors with a series of great performances, and nearly brought home a sixth SB trophy.

But CK7 hasn't been given a chance to succeed or fail. He hasn't had any real time on the field. So, I'm wondering what this criticism is based upon.

Did he play against the rams when we shut them out? I'm pretty sure there was at least one more time he did clean-up duty. I think he didn't look great in that game but I'm still very excited to watch his development for sure. In Harbaugh I trust.
Watched ESPN yesterday
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Colin is the worst deep ball passer on the team. The moves were to benefit the team overall in terms of balance, not to cater to CK. I think the idea is more just to have the threat of the deep ball. What I think we're going for more is to get someone that can turn a five yard pass into an 80 yard touchdown. With that speed and ability, the defense is left guessing whether it's a short or long route and has less time to recover than with a possession receiver. When you have speed, you have to respect that instead of a slant, it could be a "slant and go" .. guess wrong, and you're burned.

This.
Joe Montana : "It changed a lot of things, not just in my career but in the game for a while. It's an easy system for a quarterback to run once you understand the protective schemes. The passing part was easy because you had so many options all the time. 'We don't throw the ball down the field.' Well, I was taught not to throw it down the field unless I liked it. If I don't like it, I have too many other options down here with guys that can make things happen with the ball if you get it in their hands, especially if it's an early down. John Taylor, Jerry (Rice), Dwight Clark, Roger Craig, oh my gosh, we had a bunch of them. They were a lot better with the ball than I was. Bill liked those high-percentage completions. We didn't force it down the field. We didn't have to."

Link

This should answer some of the questions in the OP. Montana played in a different era with slightly different rules, but the deep coverages played by defenses should be about the same. Please get off the deep throw crap like they mentioned on the show. It's an overrated area of a qb's play. He still needs to be capable of making those deep passes but not force it or feel that he needs to.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Did he play against the rams when we shut them out? I'm pretty sure there was at least one more time he did clean-up duty. I think he didn't look great in that game but I'm still very excited to watch his development for sure. In Harbaugh I trust.

Pretty sure Kap only played against Tampa and other than a few awkward hand offs looked good passing the ball. QYB

Edit: He did play for a short time against the Rams, still kid has a 60% completion percentage and a QB rating north of 80 in limited duty. QYB still applies.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Watched ESPN yesterday

Nice dawg. Nice.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Pretty sure Kap only played against Tampa and other than a few awkward hand offs looked good passing the ball. QYB

well to be fair at that point TB stopped playing because it was a blowout

i have not read the CK hate however i agree its unwarrented as of now

other than 1 offseason with a lockout no less he cant be said to be a bust

physically speaking hes the most talented qb on roster and one of the most talented in nfl

however he has to work on the little things that includes pre read snaps accuracy and mechanics
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CK will easily win the starting QB job because the competition is meek.
Originally posted by susweel:
CK will easily win the starting QB job because the competition is meek.

you must not follow the niners at all

alex smith already clinched starting spot

Smith actually had one of the highest completion %'s in the league on passes over 20 yards and had a few big drops too (VD TD against the Rams for example).

The team just didn't throw it a lot.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
1) The 49ers draft room cheered out loud when the Bengals selected Andy Dalton.
2) Kaepernick has had 5 entire weeks of training camp in the NFL to beat out an 8 year player. What pray-tell happened in those five weeks to indicate that he isn't "catching on"?

We waited 7 years for a particular quarterback to catch on, and by all "reports", he was a bust.
So now, the draft pick that the GM of the year and draft room cheered for only gets five weeks to prove himself. That is some tough sledding.

If you take Kaepernick's 5 best plays from college and put them on film against any other prospect in history's and you will find he matches up rather nicely. His arm talent is incredible and he runs the ball well. If he were forced into a starting role, I'd love to see what happens. His biggest knock was his mechanics which are funky, but can be cleaned up. Rodgers mechanics were criticized coming out as well, he polished them up to the point where he could write the book on QB fundamentals IMO.

Give him time, and if he is forced into action, expect big plays. He might not throw it as consistently short/medium but he will make up for it with chunk plays early in his career - assuming he hasn't polished his game at which point I think he can be a star. So we'll see what happens.
CK hasnt shown s**t but were building for him. sounds legit
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Ck is the future but we have smith for now.

I think the moves were meant to improve the roster regardless of who is taking snaps.

/thread

Tend to agree
Share 49ersWebzone