LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

OTA thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
It's the first OTAs though, and they aren't just going to put him out there with the 1s if they have no intention of letting him play the position. They must think he has the most talent of the guys he's competing with. Don't forget that he would've been a first round pick if he didn't have the problems with alcoholism.

No he wouldn't have been. I wish him the best of luck and hope the best guy wins the job but damn he's tall to play guard so I'm not very optimistic about him getting it done there.

Before Boone's alcohol and drug issues, scouts were talking about him being a 1-2 rounder.
Is this 4really though? I remember him being talked about as a guy with talent in the first few rounds, but don't remember 1-2 round talk. How come he hasn't already done been starting then with that kind of talent?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows Depth chart: Harbaugh says Alex Boone will get the first shot to land the right guard job; says Colin Kaepernick is the No. 2 QB right now.

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/205416403178749953

Interesting, they must think Boone is the best person for the job and the most talented.

Camp hasn't even started

It's the first OTAs though, and they aren't just going to put him out there with the 1s if they have no intention of letting him play the position. They must think he has the most talent of the guys he's competing with. Don't forget that he would've been a first round pick if he didn't have the problems with alcoholism.
I think it's a talent and seniority thing, Boone has been there longer so it's his job to lose.

agreed

No he wouldn't have been. I wish him the best of luck and hope the best guy wins the job but damn he's tall to play guard so I'm not very optimistic about him getting it done there.

Scouts were talking about him as a 1st-2nd rounder before the alcohol stuff caused him problems. Plus Robert Gallery is a pretty good guard and he was a former tackle who is like 6'5'' or 6'6'' I believe. One of the Raiders best linemen I believe is 6'7'' or 6'8''. So it wouldn't be the first time. He's the most talented guy competeing for the spot.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Before Boone's alcohol and drug issues, scouts were talking about him being a 1-2 rounder.
Is this 4really though? I remember him being talked about as a guy with talent in the first few rounds, but don't remember 1-2 round talk. How come he hasn't already done been starting then with that kind of talent?

Because Staley is a pro bowl LT with a big contract and Anthony Davis was a 1st round pick. He was the main backup at OT because of his talent but if he can transition to guard he's more talented than the other guys competing for the RG spot.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Because Staley is a pro bowl LT with a big contract and Anthony Davis was a 1st round pick. He was the main backup at OT because of his talent but if he can transition to guard he's more talented than the other guys competing for the RG spot.

Thinking back to Boone's 5 year extension last December and how they handled Adam Snyder in the off-season, this looks like a move that's been in the works for a while now.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Thinking back to Boone's 5 year extension last December and how they handled Adam Snyder in the off-season, this looks like a move that's been in the works for a while now.

Just check out the sideline moments with Harbaugh and Boone. Telling you, that Jim has him some lots of love for the boys named Alex.
really good words from Jim on both our RG and RT...

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/05/inside-the-49ers/harbaugh-pumps-up-alex-boone-anthony-davis-colin-kaepernick-and-more/

"Well, really [G/T] Alex Boone had the first shot at that and he's doing a phenomenal job. There will be competition of course, but he's doing outstanding. Another guy that's standing out is [RT] Anthony Davis. Really good with his footwork. That's been much improved. Knowing the system, veteran guy now. Seen a big jump in his play as well."
i think its funny how everyone is trippin over boones height but he is only 1 inch taller than our former guard... (adam snyder 6'6) boones real height is 6'7 and a some but not quite 6'8. i think he is gonna be fine if he wins the job.
Originally posted by tankle104:
i think its funny how everyone is trippin over boones height but he is only 1 inch taller than our former guard... (adam snyder 6'6) boones real height is 6'7 and a some but not quite 6'8. i think he is gonna be fine if he wins the job.

Yes, but Snyder stood shorter.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I am glad to see that moss is not talking to the media, screw them and i am happy to hear the coach say kyle williams is still the primary back up return man to ginn. That does my heart good cuz i know it makes the haters foam at the mouth.. I see the rookie wide out is struggling. You guys who have him starting and beating out moss need to take a time out. No need to rush the kid, we got good guys and in the case of moss,, a good mentor. In my opinion, being in camp, working out with alex and learning from moss will mean more to the kid than running a hill with a ex niner, no matter how great he is, or was
Originally posted by cciowa:
I am glad to see that moss is not talking to the media, screw them and i am happy to hear the coach say kyle williams is still the primary back up return man to ginn. That does my heart good cuz i know it makes the haters foam at the mouth.. I see the rookie wide out is struggling. You guys who have him starting and beating out moss need to take a time out. No need to rush the kid, we got good guys and in the case of moss,, a good mentor. In my opinion, being in camp, working out with alex and learning from moss will mean more to the kid than running a hill with a ex niner, no matter how great he is, or was

Never thought that of Randy freak'n Moss. He seems so selfish and self-centered throughout his years. But seems to be true this offseason and with the Niners. Inside out, up side down.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Never thought that of Randy freak'n Moss. He seems so selfish and self-centered throughout his years. But seems to be true this offseason and with the Niners. Inside out, up side down.
I think his ego is at play to. He does not want the world to remember his nfl career by the way he was two years ago when he bounced around with 3 teams. I have always said diva wide outs do well on one year deals
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think his ego is at play to. He does not want the world to remember his nfl career by the way he was two years ago when he bounced around with 3 teams. I have always said diva wide outs do well on one year deals

Seems that way lately.

Has there been something else since the conditioning thing at rookie mini-camp?

Not that I know Of. I'm pretty sure he's looked excellent other than the conditioning wall he and most rookies hit that first day.
Originally posted by kush:

Not that I know Of. I'm pretty sure he's looked excellent other than the conditioning wall he and most rookies hit that first day.

Nah I think it was Kevin Lynch who reported he had a few drops today and said he struggled. But it's his first day of OTAs. He'll be in the long run, but I think for the most part the top 3 WRs will be Moss/Crabs/Manningham. Jenkins can sit and learn for most of the season.
Share 49ersWebzone