There are 268 users in the forums

Trent Baalke / GM of the weekend per Peter King

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Eric Branch
The #49ers had no shortage of film on their draft picks, who averaged 34.6 starts in college: G Joe Looney: 44; OLB Darius Fleming: 36; RB LaMichael James: 35; C Jason Slowey: 35; OLB Cam Johnson: 34; S Trenton Robinson: 32; WR A.J. Jenkins: 26.

Good stat!
Originally posted by genz22:
Per Peter King in todays MMQB...

GM of the weekend (tie): Trent Baalke, San Francisco; Buddy Nix, Buffalo. I detailed Baalke's multiple moves to set up the Niners as a power player in the 2013 draft. And getting LaMichael James late in the second round gives Jim Harbaugh the home-run back he hasn't had in an offense that needs a threat like that. As for Nix, who rebuilt his defensive end position in free agency (Mario Williams, Mark Anderson), he bought a new secondary over the weekend, with first- and fourth-round corners (Stephon Gilmore and Ron Brooks) who will become starting and nickel corners, respectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love what the 49ers did late Friday night and Saturday.

To become a great general manager, you have to be willing to take some chances. You have to be willing, on draft day, to make decisions that can impact your team for the next few years, positively or negatively. You have to have the courage of your convictions that if you trade down and lose the player you wanted in the first place, you'll be OK with that; the risk was worth it.

That happened to San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke late Friday night, as the third round was winding down. The 49ers had the 29th pick in the round, the 92nd pick overall. They liked a guard from Wake Forest named Joe Looney. Baalke knew the Niners liked Looney better than a lot of teams. He knew he might be able to get Looney in the fourth round. Might. No guarantees. And if he lost him, Baalke felt fine going with the next man on the board. So when the Colts called looking for a late-third-round pick, Baalke traded 92 to the Colts for the 97th pick and Indy's fifth-round pick in 2013.

On Saturday, at the start of round four, Baalke still thought he could wait for Looney. He dealt 97 to Miami for the Dolphins' fourth-round pick, 103 overall, plus the 196th pick and a sixth-round pick in 2013. At 103, Looney was still there. San Francisco was picking 125th. Dare Baalke wait? Carolina came calling for the 103rd pick, and Baalke dealt that pick for the 180th in this draft and a third-round pick in 2013.

Tick. Tick. Tick. No guards went from 103 to 111, and Chicago was a candidate, but the Bears passed on the line, as did Arizona at 112, and now Baalke was pressing the outer limits, and he picked up the phone and made a deal with Detroit, trading up eight spots from 125 to 117 and throwing in the Miami pick acquired an hour earlier (196) in order to draft Looney ... 25 picks after the Niners were going to take him at 92.

So at the end of the dealing, the Niners got their man. And they got this:

• The 180th pick in 2012 -- Michigan State free safety Trenton Robinson.

• Carolina's third-round pick in 2013.

• Indianapolis' fifth-round pick in 2013.

• Miami's sixth-round pick in 2013.

Along with a seventh-round pick in 2013 from Cincinnati in the Taylor Mays trade, and likely compensatory picks for losing guard Adam Snyder and wide receiver Josh Morgan in free agency, San Francisco now sits with a projected 13 picks in the 2013 draft, the most of any team in the league.

"I'd be lying to suggest building up that many picks was our intention at the start of it,'' Baalke told me Saturday night. "But we were able to turn the pick over three times and get our guy, plus five picks [four, after the deal with Detroit]. So it worked out. We're not trying to win in the court of public opinion, or win in the media. We're trying to win games over the long haul and build a team for sustained success.''

That's precisely the kind of deal that helps a team win over the long haul.

jesus....13 projected picks in 2013 Baalke is going to have a field day using those picks to acquire some great talent next draft. We will probably use those picks to fill some expected holes to come about in the defense this season.

the only criticism i have is that we didnt really do anything to the defense other than adding some project pass rushers who will have minimal contributions next season. But our defense is great as is so i guess its ok but im just a defensive minded person who would love a completely unstoppable defense.

Im guessing that next year we will package alot of those picks to acquire a top-end SS. My 2013 draft crush is RAMBO the dude is a freakin beast
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Honestly it feels kind of weird reading all this positive stuff about the niners. Also on TV all these analysts praising our coaching staff and front office. Its been so long since we had a competent front office that it almost feels surreal to hear all this positive media.
I remember just before Jed hired Baalke...on The Herd, Colin Cowherd said York was about to hire a top-flight GM. He wasn't kidding...TB's very connected w/Harbaugh and vice versa. Nothing's done in a vacuum...he's a team guy, first and foremost. Cool that Peter King recognized the job Baalke's done and wrote about it. Many of the rest of his peers panned the draft, which is hard to understand, but only amplifies that most national sportswriters really don't have a clue what's going on in Santa Clara. What Baalke did this draft was "Belichick-esque". Getting his guys, all the while piling up draft picks on the fly because he had the guts to do it. We're in extremely good hands, folks, and ain't it cool!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
jesus....13 projected picks in 2013 Baalke is going to have a field day using those picks to acquire some great talent next draft. We will probably use those picks to fill some expected holes to come about in the defense this season.

the only criticism i have is that we didnt really do anything to the defense other than adding some project pass rushers who will have minimal contributions next season. But our defense is great as is so i guess its ok but im just a defensive minded person who would love a completely unstoppable defense.

Im guessing that next year we will package alot of those picks to acquire a top-end SS. My 2013 draft crush is RAMBO the dude is a freakin beast
we were in a good spot this year to , just draft for depth on the defensive side. Maybe next year they will look at some stuff along the line as guys like justin and soap get older
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

we were in a good spot this year to , just draft for depth on the defensive side. Maybe next year they will look at some stuff along the line as guys like justin and soap get older
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sorry
Originally posted by toeshawn:
13 picks is a lot! Will definitely be trading up next year

Matt Barkley perhaps? Just kidding!!! But love what the FO is doing!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
We didn't have the sexiest draft, we had the smartest one.

Not to be nit-picky, but the two probable comp picks cannot be traded, so we have 11 tradeable picks. That's a lot of knobs we can turn to make deals.

I could also see us trading some of the picks for free-agent players. (I am assuming free-agency is still open, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

And just echoing the other commenters: it is like a breath of fresh air to see real competence return to the front office and coaching staff of this franchise. All hail, Harbaalke!
Originally posted by toeshawn:
13 picks is a lot! Will definitely be trading up next year

Keenan Allen
Baalke definately wanted to add speed/home run ability/mismatches to help on 3rd downs and in the red zone. (Niners 2 biggest areas of concern)

2013 Draft will be fun....Will look to upgrade Defensive line, Cornerback, and Safety.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I remember just before Jed hired Baalke...on The Herd, Colin Cowherd said York was about to hire a top-flight GM. He wasn't kidding...TB's very connected w/Harbaugh and vice versa. Nothing's done in a vacuum...he's a team guy, first and foremost. Cool that Peter King recognized the job Baalke's done and wrote about it. Many of the rest of his peers panned the draft, which is hard to understand, but only amplifies that most national sportswriters really don't have a clue what's going on in Santa Clara. What Baalke did this draft was "Belichick-esque". Getting his guys, all the while piling up draft picks on the fly because he had the guts to do it. We're in extremely good hands, folks, and ain't it cool!

COOL LIKE THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW!!!!!!

Damn it feels good to hear real football people give the 9ers props for this years draft. Mayock and Lombardi gave us the highest grades in the NFC West, now Peter King is giving Trent GM of the draft? That was unexpected due to the cannon fodder being thrown our way by the "experts"...oh you know those draft experts like Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, John Czarnecki - Fox Sports, Chris Burke - SI, Pete Prisco - CBS...they all gave us some of the lowest grades in the draft. These same experts blasted our draft last year and then 8 months later said it was the best in the league. Since none of those jokers EVER worked for an NFL team and made a single pick of their own, or even played in the NFL, while guys like Mayock and Lombardi did...Im gonna err on their side here. The draft DID NOT go the way I envisioned, but then again, I hated the draft last year too and continue to be humbled by Master Baalke. I wont be quitting my day job anytime soon, but maybe some of these "experts" should.

If Trent hits on AJ, James and Looney, and they all become starters for our team while the guys from the previous two years continue their upward trend....and then we add some firepower with our league high 13 picks next year?????
wow hell has frozen over Peter King being praised by folks on this site. this place is hilarious.
Share 49ersWebzone