Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 805 users in the forums

Do we really need a #1 WR???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
this year draft from skill position standopoint

1. floyd
2. wright
3. fleener
4. hill

would be happy with any of them

I'd put Jeffery on that list too.
Don't need a #1 receiver but we do need a decent to very good receiving core. This question was asked and debated and never solved by the team since they drafted Alex Smith. Until Crabtree, a top 10 pick, there were a bunch of has been, average, late round development receivers that were on the team.
I take the point. Given the recieving options in the first round and our current stable with Moss and Manningham I'm happy to take Fleener given the pick of anyone near our point in the draft. I think he adds the most too our team immediately. Hopefully we can find someone else later in the draft.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I take the point. Given the recieving options in the first round and our current stable with Moss and Manningham I'm happy to take Fleener given the pick of anyone near our point in the draft. I think he adds the most too our team immediately. Hopefully we can find someone else later in the draft.

i thing wright (assuming floyd gets taken) will make the most impact we still dont have a deep treat
(moss at 35 1 yyear removed in which in 2010 he only had 80 yards in 10 games is unproven) also on one on in 3rd down situations he will be close to impossible to guard
  • jmerl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14
The best WR in this draft will be someone taken in the 3rd/4th round that no one sees coming. That being said...I think we still should take the best WR available with our first round pick I disagree with taking that TE everyone says we might take. We have VD and Delanie Walker. We are golden at TE.
  • jmerl
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14
I would be stoked if we got Wright...but he is small and we already have Kyle Williams who is small and quick like Wright. I actually think Kyle Williams is going to have a great season. We've already got a lot of WRs on the roster come to think of it. Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn, Kyle Williams, ...if we can get another good one in the draft we will be looking pretty good there assuming Moss ends up being a contributor.
The niners didn't have a # 1 or a #2 receiver last year. Morgan and Edwards injured and Crabtree starting the year with injuries...and they did pretty well.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone