There are 273 users in the forums

Spencer released

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Spencer> Brown

this. i don't know what he did to get on the staff's bad side but it had to be something.

Brown is much better and younger.
Maiocco says we were under by $20.2M coming into today, before Rogers' deal. And then at 23.5M, he isn't taking into account the fact spencer's release is only 2.91M, because you have to bump up a player, making $390K. Plus I think he isn't including the $750K roster bonus(divided by 16 weeks) for Moss.

If he did count it in there, since he said 1.75M cap number, he would have us at $22.36M under, I have us at $21,967,164 under, a difference of $392,836K. Now Rogers deal should be around $3M, leaves us around $18.967M under. Take away 3M for rookie picks, leaves us $15.967M to spend/play with. We can save an additional $2.75M(would be $2.36M due to top 51 rule), bringing us up to $18.327M under after draftees.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Maiocco says we were under by $20.2M coming into today, before Rogers' deal. And then at 23.5M, he isn't taking into account the fact spencer's release is only 2.91M, because you have to bump up a player, making $390K. Plus I think he isn't including the $750K roster bonus(divided by 16 weeks) for Moss.

If he did count it in there, since he said 1.75M cap number, he would have us at $22.36M under, I have us at $21,967,164 under, a difference of $392,836K. Now Rogers deal should be around $3M, leaves us around $18.967M under. Take away 3M for rookie picks, leaves us $15.967M to spend/play with. We can save an additional $2.75M(would be $2.36M due to top 51 rule), bringing us up to $18.327M under after draftees.

Plenty of cap space to sign alex and Mario Manningham.
  • dj43
For all the many good decisions Harbaugh has made, this one puzzles me. When healthy, Spencer was near Pro Bowl quality. This year he never seemed to be given a chance. IMO, he still has some good football left in him. Salary cap is the only reason I can see for this move.
Originally posted by dj43:
For all the many good decisions Harbaugh has made, this one puzzles me. When healthy, Spencer was near Pro Bowl quality. This year he never seemed to be given a chance. IMO, he still has some good football left in him. Salary cap is the only reason I can see for this move.
Seems like he got on Fangio's bad side and could never get out of the doghouse. Only surprised it took this long to release him, but maybe they were hoping for a trade, or until they signed a replacement (Cox?).
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM ]
Making Room To Sign Mario Manningham
Always liked Spencer. That hit on Kitna in 06 was one of the best hits in recent memory. Thought he was always one of the most underrated DBs in the league from 06-10. He hardly got burnt a did a good job against Arizona.

Best of luck Spence.
He will end up the Falcons. The Falcons need depth, Nolan knows him and likes him, they don't have space and are looking for cheap players that can be impact players and that they can get cheap. I love the guy, hate to see him go. But I think he will land in a good situation.

Mario Manningham is Gonna Be a Niner baby!!
Good move.

Spenser was a classy guy. I wish him well - unless he plays in our division.

• dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
one WR in FA and one in draft to develop we still dont know how productive a 35 year old 1 year removed from NFL moss will be

thats why i think getting royal or lloyd is a must

get hill wright in 1st or marvin jones in 2nd along with a RG depending where you go WR

right..i dont trust moss...we need another wr in f.a
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:

link

He was injured too often overall. Maybe they felt he just wasn't fast enough. It seems like this new coaching staff highly values speed more than anything and it also appears they can teach the technique or design the defense to mask imperfections of technique and maximize the speed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

he got hurt. people ahead of him were better, he lost his spot, he became a non factor and thats it. no conspiracy here, he was not as good as the people above him and while many thought he was great he was just another one of the many dennis erickson picks. with the exception of lee and soap most are not in the nfl. very telling in my opinion. he may have been a classy gu, a ok corner and whatever but he was a non factor last year and is a non factor to me now.
Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:

dont show that f**king video in here
Share 49ersWebzone