There are 528 users in the forums
CB Perrish Cox a Niner
Oct 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM
- Joecool
- Veteran
- Posts: 70,984
Can anyone get a gif of that Cox INT? If you look, it was almost as if he had the WR on the sideline who did a curl or short route and Cox veered from that after reading Smith's eyes. Great read by Cox.
Oct 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM
- DJamhour
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,467
Originally posted by NCommand:Originally posted by DJamhour:He's clearly outplayed culliver(which doesn't seem the same) and he should start opposite of Brock. Is there any way to extend him to a 3-4 year deal before he continues to play at a pro-bowl level. I believe he's an unrestricted free agent this year. Maybe he's just having a few really good games and I'm over hyping him(don't think so)
Culliver isn't playing poor at all...just Cox is playing lights out! That light seemed to come on after he returned last year for the playoff run (like how the light came on for Brock last year too). This is a damn fine secondary that's getting better and better and better and the TO's are really starting to show up.
I know he's playing well. But like you said Cox is playing better. What is the deal on contract, he is allowed to get a deal done or he must wait? Yeah all seem to finally be working together bethea and Reid, and I'm sure this has some to do with lynch and pass rushing.
Oct 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,886
Originally posted by Joecool:Can anyone get a gif of that Cox INT? If you look, it was almost as if he had the WR on the sideline who did a curl or short route and Cox veered from that after reading Smith's eyes. Great read by Cox.
Good call man!
I don't know his contract data BUT I hope the FO locks him up for a while the price tag is realistic.
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM
- DJamhour
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,467
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:Originally posted by Joecool:Can anyone get a gif of that Cox INT? If you look, it was almost as if he had the WR on the sideline who did a curl or short route and Cox veered from that after reading Smith's eyes. Great read by Cox.
Good call man!
I don't know his contract data BUT I hope the FO locks him up for a while the price tag is realistic.
He's an unrestricted free agent after this year and I thought he can't be extended til the year is over [left]
Oct 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
^^^ Is there any doubt Baalke is going to lock him up LT? It will be a similar contract to Brock too. 4 years 16M was it?
Oct 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM
- elguapo
- Veteran
- Posts: 26,507
This is the best CBS we have had since the mid 90s and our front office better realize this. Look at Seattle with their DBS and that is enough to stop great passing offenses with a little help from pass rush. We now have 2 very good CBS and culliver is just good. If you look at our failures in the last 3 years it's been a secondary issue. Brock against the giants on 3rd and 15 for a td, cully against jones in the sb for a td, Rogers against Kerse for a td........this is a pattern which will stop if we just keep these 3 CBS.
If we need more money, than lynch can take brooks place and we can give gore a team friendly 2 year deal and boldin may be gone too or at least resign cheaper than 6 mil. If a cb gets injured we still have 2 good ones. Also, this allows a better cb like cox or Brock to play slot instead of ward who cost us the bears game and possibly the cards game. That's homefield advantage perhaps blown again.
We finally have 3 very good CBS and we better keep them, if this happens, we may have the best secondary with great safeties
If we need more money, than lynch can take brooks place and we can give gore a team friendly 2 year deal and boldin may be gone too or at least resign cheaper than 6 mil. If a cb gets injured we still have 2 good ones. Also, this allows a better cb like cox or Brock to play slot instead of ward who cost us the bears game and possibly the cards game. That's homefield advantage perhaps blown again.
We finally have 3 very good CBS and we better keep them, if this happens, we may have the best secondary with great safeties
Oct 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM
- jonesadrian
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,015
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DJamhour:
He's clearly outplayed culliver(which doesn't seem the same) and he should start opposite of Brock. Is there any way to extend him to a 3-4 year deal before he continues to play at a pro-bowl level. I believe he's an unrestricted free agent this year. Maybe he's just having a few really good games and I'm over hyping him(don't think so)
Culliver isn't playing poor at all...just Cox is playing lights out! That light seemed to come on after he returned last year for the playoff run (like how the light came on for Brock last year too). This is a damn fine secondary that's getting better and better and better and the TO's are really starting to show up.
I know he's playing well. But like you said Cox is playing better. What is the deal on contract, he is allowed to get a deal done or he must wait? Yeah all seem to finally be working together bethea and Reid, and I'm sure this has some to do with lynch and pass rushing.
that was the problem with the secondary. that's the problem with every secondary. no db's can cover for 4-6 seconds every snap. none in the nfl
Oct 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM
- Joecool
- Veteran
- Posts: 70,984
I wonder how much of Cox's production has to do with Reid and Bathae? Those two have been so smart that I think if the CB is smart enough to not blow anything, it's easy.
Oct 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM
- ESWYoung08
- Veteran
- Posts: 613
I get gitty thinking about how much better he'll play when the front seven gets healthy.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM ]
Oct 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM
- DJamhour
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,467
Originally posted by NCommand:^^^ Is there any doubt Baalke is going to lock him up LT? It will be a similar contract to Brock too. 4 years 16M was it?
I'm asking, are we allowed get a deal done before the seasons over because a he's an unrestricted free agent ?
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ Is there any doubt Baalke is going to lock him up LT? It will be a similar contract to Brock too. 4 years 16M was it?
I'm asking, are we allowed get a deal done before the seasons over because a he's an unrestricted free agent ?
PM AB81Rules. He is our salary cap expert. He will know for sure!
Oct 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM
- matt49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,658
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
we'll have some options to mix up our coverage schemes when Brock comes back ....an abundance of solid DB's is a great problem to have ....and Cox needs to stay on the field , he's obviously a top 10 CB right now, cant sit down one of your most consistent performers
Agree 100%. Lost in how well Cox is playing is the fact that Culliver has also been very good this year. Ward has been good the last 2 weeks also & I firmly believe he's going to be a very good slot CB until he's needed to shift to safety (which may be several years w/the way Bethea is playing). In order to avoid disrupting how well the DB as a whole is playing right now, it might make sense to just make Brock the dime back until either somebody gets hurt or play falls off. I hope the team ramps up Wards prep as a safety on the chance one of our starters gets hurt we can just move him there instead of playing Dahl. Hope Cox gets an extension ASAP also, don't wanna lose him in the off season.
Oct 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM
- matt49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,658
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ Is there any doubt Baalke is going to lock him up LT? It will be a similar contract to Brock too. 4 years 16M was it?
I'm asking, are we allowed get a deal done before the seasons over because a he's an unrestricted free agent ?
PM AB81Rules. He is our salary cap expert. He will know for sure!
Don't wanna speak for AB, but I'm about 99.99999% sure before the year he was speculating that if Culliver played well, he'd get a similar contract to Brock so the logic behind Cox getting that deal instead makes sense to me via a salary cap perspective. As for us being allowed to extend him, I'm also almost entirely possible that we are allowed 2, I've never heard of a rule that you can't extend somebody on your roster for any reason. I know rules exist behind when and how often you can renegotiate a contract, Cox is signed for only this year so extending beyond shouldn't be a problem from a rules perspective either.
Oct 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
- KegBert
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,831
Oct 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,114
I'll answer even though I wasn't asked, lol.
Yes they should be allowed to extend him. Only veteran minimum salary benefit players usually aren't allowed extension in season.
Also goes for new draft picks, must be in 4th year of contract to get an extension, started from the 2011 draft class, till now, under the new CBA signed in 2011.
I thought Cully would play better, and earn a new deal. I even thought about why not reward him before season, but when he got in trouble, I stopped that backing. Now I wouldn't re-sign him at all. Keep Cox at $3M a year, which I think is a fair number for both sides. I would do a 3yr deal, with roster and workout bonuses, typical 49er structure.
Yes they should be allowed to extend him. Only veteran minimum salary benefit players usually aren't allowed extension in season.
Also goes for new draft picks, must be in 4th year of contract to get an extension, started from the 2011 draft class, till now, under the new CBA signed in 2011.
I thought Cully would play better, and earn a new deal. I even thought about why not reward him before season, but when he got in trouble, I stopped that backing. Now I wouldn't re-sign him at all. Keep Cox at $3M a year, which I think is a fair number for both sides. I would do a 3yr deal, with roster and workout bonuses, typical 49er structure.