There are 313 users in the forums

CAP SPACE AFTER BROOKS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maiocco saying Brooks will only count 2.85 against the cap for 2012
So Brooks' cap figure year 1 is 2.85M.

In the first 3 seasons, he can earn all of his 17.5M guaranteed. Could lessen with descalators.
Right now I have us at between 18.4M and 21.4M under depending on the cap(between 120-123M)

Add in Spencers 3.3M gives us between 21.7M and 24.7M

If we are able to re-sign Alex, Rogers, Costanzo, Morgan and Snyder I see them taking up 4M each for Alex and Rogers, 2M for Snyder, 1.5M for Morgan and 1.25M for Costanzo. Plus the 3M needed for draftees, leaves us between 5.95M and 8.95M under.

Now we can create some extra cap room by restructuring Donte Whitner and David Akers contract. Lower Akers down from 3M to 925K, saves us 1.926.500M, and Whitner down from 3.3M to 750K, saves us 2.025M. By restructuring those 2 contracts, we would be under by between 7.975M and 10.975M. If we didn't feel necceassry to approach Whitner, Akers or anyone else, we can release Haralson, and save 2.45M instead of the 2.025M from re-doing those contracts.

Either way we would have enough to sign a free agent WR. We would also gain 390K for each player signed, by bumping down a player, so an extra 1.95M to the cap room.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Right now I have us at between 18.4M and 21.4M under depending on the cap(between 120-123M)

If we are able to re-sign Alex, Rogers, Costanzo, Morgan and Snyder I see them taking up 4M each for Alex and Rogers, 2M for Snyder, 1.5M for Morgan and 1.25M for Costanzo. Plus the 3M needed for draftees, leaves us between 5.95M and 8.95M under.

Now we can create some extra cap room by restructuring Donte Whitner and David Akers contract. Lower Akers down from 3M to 925K, saves us 1.926.500M, and Whitner down from 3.3M to 750K, saves us 2.025M. By restructuring those 2 contracts, we would be under by between 7.975M and 10.975M. If we didn't feel necceassry to approach Whitner, Akers or anyone else, we can release Haralson, and save 2.45M instead of the 2.025M from re-doing those contracts.

Either way we would have enough to sign a free agent WR. We would also gain 390K for each player signed, by bumping down a player, so an extra 1.95M to the cap room.

AB, how would a Crabtree trade (super unlikely) or the cutting of Dixon help the cap?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/brooks-gets-825-million-guaranteed-on-signing/
I almost feel bad for Brooks, this contract is just absolute ownage by the 49ers management. Of course, Brooks will get paid if he performs, but my god, the actual guaranteed money is close to zilch.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I almost feel bad for Brooks, this contract is just absolute ownage by the 49ers management. Of course, Brooks will get paid if he performs, but my god, the actual guaranteed money is close to zilch.

No it wasn't. 17.5 mil guaranteed is very good however you want to look at it. And it shows he's good on his willingness to stay with the team.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

No it wasn't. 17.5 mil guaranteed is very good however you want to look at it. And it shows he's good on his willingness to stay with the team.

It's really only 7.5-8.25 million guaranteed if he doesn't perform. Placing performance standards on guarantees makes it so those guarantees are conditional, thus not actually guaranteed. The rest of his "guaranteed money" is tied up into roster bonuses. It is an insanely team-friendly deal. If he sees all of that money, he will be a star.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

It's really only 7.5-8.25 million guaranteed if he doesn't perform. Placing performance standards on guarantees makes it so those guarantees are conditional, thus not actually guaranteed. The rest of his "guaranteed money" is tied up into roster bonuses. It is an insanely team-friendly deal. If he sees all of that money, he will be a star.

Yeah, that 8 mil up front is very good for Brooks or for any player for that matter. And like you said, team friendly the rest of the way. He does have a history of being injuries so that played into the contract. I think it's a fair deal for Brooks looking at it on his side. On the Niners side they aren't tied up cap wise. Good deal
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Yeah, that 8 mil up front is very good for Brooks or for any player for that matter. And like you said, team friendly the rest of the way. He does have a history of being injuries so that played into the contract. I think it's a fair deal for Brooks looking at it on his side. On the Niners side they aren't tied up cap wise. Good deal

You simply don't throw crazy guarenteed money too a dude who has only been a starter one season. We don't obviously know yet what the sack escelators are but the deal is great for both side assuming Brooks doesn't get injured. Enough incentives to keep Brooks hungry and now he will see dollar signs on the QB's chest every time he rushes the passer, sounds good for both sides.

Paraag has learned to use players confidence to the 9ers advantage in terms of contracts. Heres the conversation that went down with Brooks per a league source I made up "You dont think you can reach 8-10 sacks/yr, then maybe you shouldn't be paid like a 10 sack guy.. oh wait you want that money? Then get ten sacks haha." Players will never downgrade themselves, and if the players go beast mode then they get compensated and if they dont they make allot less... seems actually fair to the team and other players who perform cause it frees up money for them to get paid.

Within three years this franchise has gone from red-headed stepchild of the league, to almost a blueprint of how to be successful. Players want to stay here, they know if they perform they will get paid compared to having to overpay for guys just to come and play here.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Paraag has learned to use players confidence to the 9ers advantage in terms of contracts. Heres the conversation that went down with Brooks per a league source I made up "You dont think you can reach 8-10 sacks/yr, then maybe you shouldn't be paid like a 10 sack guy.. oh wait you want that money? Then get ten sacks haha." Players will never downgrade themselves, and if the players go beast mode then they get compensated and if they dont they make allot less... seems actually fair to the team and other players who perform cause it frees up money for them to get paid.

Within three years this franchise has gone from red-headed stepchild of the league, to almost a blueprint of how to be successful. Players want to stay here, they know if they perform they will get paid compared to having to overpay for guys just to come and play here.

True but typically, the SAM isn't the guy who is required to get 10+ sacks every year. That comes from the WILL position on the blind side of the QB's side. Those are your Ware's, Harrison, Matthews, etc.

If Brooks can get 7+ sacks every year while also leading the team in TFL (like a sack), seals the edge effectively, remains 6th on the team in total tackles, 3rd in pressures/hits and continues to impress with underneath and outside-in coverage like he did last year in his first year, than he has more than earned his contract! But I have no doubt this contract is set up to motivate him even more and if he DOES get double-digit sacks from the SAM, it will benefit both sides.

The more effective Brooks is and the more teams have to continue to double and even triple team him, the more effective the rest of the front 7 (esp. Aldon) AND the back end will be.

Very nice contract!

PS: We just have to remember the differences in responsibilities between the SAM & WILL positions. Eventually, both may be learning the other position and they will become interchangeable like in Pittsburgh to help with disguising the blitz!
ok so how much money do we have left to spend? AB i read your post but didnt get a confirmed # of money we have left. is it 20mil left for us to deal with?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

AB, how would a Crabtree trade (super unlikely) or the cutting of Dixon help the cap?

Crabtree would save about 4M for 2012, and about 3.359M in 2013, we would have cap hits of $1.359M in 2012 and 2.718M in 2013. So we would add 4M to our cap space if we did trade him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
True but typically, the SAM isn't the guy who is required to get 10+ sacks every year. That comes from the WILL position on the blind side of the QB's side. Those are your Ware's, Harrison, Matthews, etc.

If Brooks can get 7+ sacks every year while also leading the team in TFL (like a sack), seals the edge effectively, remains 6th on the team in total tackles, 3rd in pressures/hits and continues to impress with underneath and outside-in coverage like he did last year in his first year, than he has more than earned his contract! But I have no doubt this contract is set up to motivate him even more and if he DOES get double-digit sacks from the SAM, it will benefit both sides.

The more effective Brooks is and the more teams have to continue to double and even triple team him, the more effective the rest of the front 7 (esp. Aldon) AND the back end will be.

Very nice contract!

PS: We just have to remember the differences in responsibilities between the SAM & WILL positions. Eventually, both may be learning the other position and they will become interchangeable like in Pittsburgh to help with disguising the blitz!

How long have we've been talkin' 'bout this, N? Been soooooooooooo long ago that I think I was playing with my Pong game. Shheeeez. We finally have our QB Rushing Book Ends and man are they nice.
Share 49ersWebzone