LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Justin Smith Candidacy for Defensive Player of the Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
DPOY Candidates - According to Bleacher Report (grain of salt)

Jared Allen - 22 sacks
Demarcus Ware - 19.5 Sacks
Jason Babin - 18 Sacks
Jason Pierre-Paul - 16.5 Sacks
Justin Smith - 7.5 Sacks, 3FF, 2 game winning plays, OUTSTANDING season
Terrell Suggs - 14 Sacks

Do you think Justin Smith can win the award? The playoff game against the Saints should do a lot.
Added the link to poke fun at Bleacher Report
justin deserves it more than anyone else
Doubt it. Sack numbers are what they are looking for. Smith was a great pickup. I was hoping we could get him instead of Andre Carter in the draft but the Bengals grabbed him.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
justin deserves it more than anyone else

Agreed, I think national exposure and a winning team will put over the top. The other guys I see winning it are JPP and Suggs.
Best defensive player on the best defense in the league who led the team to the NFC championship despite an anemic offense.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Best defensive player on the best defense in the league who led the team to the NFC championship despite an anemic offense.

Plays on the west coast.
I'd like to think Smith would get it, we all know what an impact hes been on the D side of the ball. Aldon has benefited well with Justin there. But everyone will be looking at the numbers.
That B/R article was written before the season started.

And it was written by a correspondent, which is like the bottom of the barrell when it comes to the website's writer rankings.
Justin had a phenomenal season.....but statistically, he doesnt match up. So we will see what happens. No doubt he is a defensive monster, and does deserve the award.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dont think he will win because his stats aren't sexy enough but he deserving. Dude is a beast
JPP will get it
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by YungAce:
JPP will get it

I think Suggs will get it.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by YungAce:
JPP will get it

I think Suggs will get it.

I hope neither!

Btw Aldon has a better chance at winning DPOY than Babin..
[ Edited by YungAce on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Justin had a phenomenal season.....but statistically, he doesnt match up. So we will see what happens. No doubt he is a defensive monster, and does deserve the award.

Apparently, not everyone with a vote is ignorant of Justin's accomplishments. He was voted on to the All-Pro squad - twice. That will obviously help him get some MVP votes.
Share 49ersWebzone