There are 164 users in the forums

What is missing from the Offense now??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So each week we've seen the offense expanded, and the players have handled the game play really well -- KUDOS to the coaches for getting this amazing thing accomplished with a limited offseason, and to the players for getting it done!

Given the above, what is still missing from the offense? From what I have seen so far:

1. Deep seam, post, and flag routes. Given that Davis/Smith were successful at this before, that is a little surprising, but I think defenses have keyed on Davis to take that away. With Ginn and Edwards, I expected we would at least see flashes of these deep routes, but we haven't really yet. A lot of deeper in routes, or sideline routes, but not deep middle or flag routes. Wonder if this is JH's typical restraint from installing everything at once, or maybe with Smith's arm strength and limited deep threat receivers this isn't something we'll develop?

2. Screen game -- would have expected to see more screens to slow down the pass rush - particularly with Gore and Hunter. But this hasn't shown up much either.

Other aspects?
really good receivers.

we have average to good receivers. We need a really-good/great one.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
really good receivers.

I still think we are missing that deep threat. I know it's not really the way of the WCO, but to be able to have that threat would be nice. I'll also agree with the screen game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
really good receivers.

This Crabtree has been a disappoint for a #10 pick.
deep threat wr, hopefully desean sees free agency
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
deep threat wr, hopefully desean sees free agency

no way, Lead last year and maybe this year in drops
Originally posted by HearstFan:
So each week we've seen the offense expanded, and the players have handled the game play really well -- KUDOS to the coaches for getting this amazing thing accomplished with a limited offseason, and to the players for getting it done!

Given the above, what is still missing from the offense? From what I have seen so far:

1. Deep seam, post, and flag routes. Given that Davis/Smith were successful at this before, that is a little surprising, but I think defenses have keyed on Davis to take that away. With Ginn and Edwards, I expected we would at least see flashes of these deep routes, but we haven't really yet. A lot of deeper in routes, or sideline routes, but not deep middle or flag routes. Wonder if this is JH's typical restraint from installing everything at once, or maybe with Smith's arm strength and limited deep threat receivers this isn't something we'll develop?

2. Screen game -- would have expected to see more screens to slow down the pass rush - particularly with Gore and Hunter. But this hasn't shown up much either.

Other aspects?

Alex Smith doesn't really have limited arm strength. Coming out of college, they said he could make all the NFL throws, and he would get stronger as he got older. Of course, he doesn't have a Michael Vick arm, but he's certainly capable of all those throws.

I think it's a couple things though that we haven't seen deep passes. For one, Alex doesn't like to throw those low-percentage passes too often. He'll throw them though, as evidenced by some of the ones he's missed to Crabtree and Ginn in recent games. Second, we run a smashmouth West Coast Offense. We throw short and intermediate routes the majority of the time. Third, we've had receivers in and out of the lineup. Those deep routes require a certain amount of chemistry, and it's clear why Alex keeps missing his receivers... he hasn't had too much time with them. I think they'll come though, but don't expect a lot in the future. Maybe every couple games, Alex will hit some deep balls.

As for screens.. No idea on that one. I would've thought that would be a staple for our offense, but I don't even remember if Stanford ran them that much. I think we're still kind of developing them. The couple that I've seen us try didn't have outstanding execution... but I think we'll get there.
Originally posted by susweel:
This Crabtree has been a disappoint for a #10 pick.

He's been a good WR this year. Albeit, the chemistry with Alex needs some improvement, but he's always shown signs that he can ball. I think he's capable of a 1000 yard season in a more wide-open offense. I think it's just because we don't throw too much that he doesn't have big numbers.

But he's made some great adjustments on awkwardly-thrown balls from Alex.
Timing between the receivers and qb. Edwards is a legit deep threat, he led the NFL in yards per catch one year and has a pretty good average career wise. Crabtree will get better with time, he is almost on the same page with Smith. If Morgan was healthy I believe we would be much better on third down conversions, he doesn't get his due respect on these message boards because he is slow ( a myth really, the guy ran a 4.46 40) but he has sure hands and has great chemistry with Smith.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Timing between the receivers and qb. Edwards is a legit deep threat, he led the NFL in yards per catch one year and has a pretty good average career wise. Crabtree will get better with time, he is almost on the same page with Smith. If Morgan was healthy I believe we would be much better on third down conversions, he doesn't get his due respect on these message boards because he is slow ( a myth really, the guy ran a 4.46 40) but he has sure hands and has great chemistry with Smith.

Yeah, we're really missing Morgan. When he went down, he was our best WR because of his chemistry with Alex, quickness, and YAC ability. Would've loved to see how we would've done with Edwards, Crabtree, and Morgan. (Though we don't run many three WR sets)

Originally posted by 76Razor:
I still think we are missing that deep threat. I know it's not really the way of the WCO, but to be able to have that threat would be nice. I'll also agree with the screen game.

Deep routes are very much a part of the WCO.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
no way, Lead last year and maybe this year in drops

Seriously? First of all, hands can improve over time (Jerry Rice no less struggled with lots of drops early). Second, Jackson is running 20+ yd patterns every play. Of course he's gonna drop more than Wes Welker. Third, Vick has a howitzer arm. Guys like Brees feather it in, Vick guns it.

Even if Jackson caught just 2 passes a game, having him drag the safeties back 10 yards every play would do wonders to our entire offense. Look at Vick's numbers yesterday with Jackson on the bench. 16/34, 128 yds, a whopping 3.77 ypa.

Now, he may be a knucklehead (although I sympathize with him slightly for feeling underpaid). But on game day performance, a guy like Jackson would represent a huge potential improvement.
We're 1 really good WR away from being a dominant offense. He could already be on this team, but so far he hasn't shown up or isn't 100%, wether it's a hampering injury or just getting chemistry with the qb and running more precise routes. He did a really good job blocking on that Kendal Hunter TD though.
I'm not really sure about the screens either.

In regard to the deep middle passes, Bill Walsh never really liked those passes because there is too much that can go wrong. If both the route and throw aren't spot-on, the ball is a grapefruit waiting to be picked off.

With a sideline go route, the QB can target the WR's outside shoulder so that the DB doesn't have an angle to get the INT if everything isn't quite right.
a deeper understanding of the playbook, thats all
could you imagine what the Zone would become if the missing link was Tebow.
Share 49ersWebzone