LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

If you could acquire one player and make them a 49er...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by pingpong:
I don't know how people saying anyone other than Rodgers can be serious. Yes, Alex is playing better than he has, but it should be clear he will never reach Rodgers's level, or even really approach it.

The importance of an elite QB cannot be overstated. Rodgers has a team with no real running game or defense, with a good/great receiving core, and the team just won a superbowl and is still undefeated this season. Look at what Peyton Manning was able to do with the Colts for so many years just by being so good at the position.

Now compare that to what Nnamdi suffered through in Oakland, or what Fitzy's been through post-Warner, or all of Megatron's years in the league. Every single one of those teams was a bottom dweller for multiple years despite having a top 1-2 WR or CB on the team.

Hopefully my point has been made about the general importance of elite QBs over elite players of any other position, especially in the sense of a franchise. And hopefully it goes without saying that Rodgers is just playing at a ridiculous level right now, and is still extremely young for a QB (http://i.imgur.com/LxNxu.png).

The only argument that some people make is that "our biggest weakness is at CB/WR/etc and not QB." This may be true, but it's not like QB is a position of strength. Alex is playing the best football of his career, but I would still take probably half of the QBs in the league over him. We already have the league's #1 defense, wouldn't it be better to improve our offense from below average to elite instead of incrementally improving our defense?

Green Bay has the best group of receivers in the league...and it isn't even close. Rodgers benefits ENORMOUSLY from that.

I'm not talking about their stats. I am talking about the way the run their routes, the adjustments they make to defensive alignments, the few number of passes they drop...all of it. Also, Rodgers has been in the same system/same HC/coordinator for 5 years and been with the majority of the same group of players for 3+ years. All of that makes a tremendous amount of difference. Rodgers here with the current group of receivers would be lucky to be in the top 5 in the league.
Originally posted by dj43:
Green Bay has the best group of receivers in the league...and it isn't even close. Rodgers benefits ENORMOUSLY from that.

I'm not talking about their stats. I am talking about the way the run their routes, the adjustments they make to defensive alignments, the few number of passes they drop...all of it. Also, Rodgers has been in the same system/same HC/coordinator for 5 years and been with the majority of the same group of players for 3+ years. All of that makes a tremendous amount of difference. Rodgers here with the current group of receivers would be lucky to be in the top 5 in the league.

Rodgers interview with Grant Napier yesterday said that sometimes the receivers have an option to cut in or out and he has to find them. He doesn't always know which way they will cut. There's no way Alex can do this.

His ability to throw quickly from ANY position would make him succeed on nearly any top 10 team. We are a top 10 team, he would be just as good in terms of effectiveness. He can see the receiver open and still throw it quick enough with enough zip to not allow a defender to break on it.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

This is absolute bs. What Rodgers is doing right now is unprecedented, not just this year, but in NFL history, and you're trying to say that it's only because of his WRs?? Greg Jennings is good, and probably in the conversation for top 5 WRs in the league, but I think it's pretty clear that he's not even a top 3 WR right now, in his prime. I don't think anyone would have a problem with ranking AJ, Fitzy, and Megatron above Jennings. Who else does Rodgers have? Jordy Nelson is talented, but he's not an all-pro WR. I have a feeling his success has much more to do with Rodgers than it does with Nelson. I see Jordy Nelson as similar to Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon, and look how they fared with Peyton at QB, and with Painter/Colllins/etc at QB. Jermichael Finley gives every fantasy football player a hard-on, but he's not a top-5 TE. Off the top of my head, I'd take Witten, Gronk, VD, Graham, and probably Gates before Finley (on a real football team). Who else is there? Old Donald Driver? A James Jones who got 0 interest in FA? Rookie Randall Cobb?

This is not like the Pats '07 offense with a motivated Randy Moss (2nd greatest WR in history) and Wes Welker, or the greatest show on turf with Bruce, Holt, and Faulk (3 potential hall of famers). The pieces surrounding Rodgers are good, maybe even great, but they are not even close to elite, and you can't say they are carrying Rodgers. It's clearly the other way around.

In terms of receiving corps in the league CURRENTLY, I don't even think the Packers group is the best. Arguments could be made that the Jets, Steelers, Eagles, and Cowboys have equally good or better WR groups.

I'd personally rank them:
1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Packers
4. Steelers
5. Jets
CB Patrick Peterson trade for WR Brett Swain

Then we will have young studs everywhere. New Dynasty!
Share 49ersWebzone