LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
But he didn't have 430 yards, 3 picks and lose the game like Cam Newton.....

You realize that by continuously comparing Alex Smith to Cam Newton, you only make Smith look worse right?

430 yards and a loss is always much better than a win....

Originally posted by backontop:
The haters are now saying take some chances , who cares if you throw an INT. I guarantee you once Alex throws an INT they will be saying "typical Alex Smith" "there's the old Alex I know" "Alex Sucks" "WE WANT CARR WE WANT CARR". The haters are impossible to please as they blindly hate Alex Smith for no reason other than their own hatred.

Well maybe if Alex Smith quit throwing interceptions when he actually does toss it down field, we would get off his back.

Playing it safe and sending Andy Lee out to punt proves absolutely nothing.

I will give it up for his red zone play. I just wish he would treat the other 80 yards the same way.

You want him to stop throwing INT but ever think that our WR's do not get separation down field? That has been a big problem with them the past few seasons you know.

You realize that by continuously comparing Alex Smith to Cam Newton, you only make Smith look worse right?

Does not compute? Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton and the 49ers have a better record thus far.

Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

LOLOLOL

Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton? First of all, no. Second of all, like I said, you realize you're comparing him to the 1st overall pick right?

Cam Newton has every excuse in the world to suck right now, but he doesn't. Why? Because he has IT. That thing Alex Smith will never have.

Alex Smith is afforded every excuse in the book in year 7 (LOL) of his career and yet Cam can't even get credit for throwing for 900 yards in his first 2 games on a s**t squad.

Cam Newton has every excuse? Really? He has a better OLine, 2 solid RB's, 2 Solid TE's, a pro bowl WR. Please explain to me what this magical IT factor is? The only thing that Cam Newton has right now that Alex Smith doesn't have is a ton of INT's and a losing record. While you call them excuses everyone who knows anything about football calls them legitimate reasons for Alex Smith's delayed development. Alex Smith has shown progression in his development every season even though he has been hindered by inadequate coaching and OC's. I guess seems how yardage is now the new IT stat I guess that means that Cam Newton is going to be the MVP of the SB. Oh that's right you have to actually win those games or else all those yards are worthless. I will take less than 200 yards and a W over 400 yards and a loss any day. Oh one more thing, each week the offense gets opened up more, and more of the WCO is being implemented into the game plans each week. Huh if only Harbaugh had told us something like this was going to happen, oh wait he did. It's funny that everyone can recognize this but the haters.
You want him to stop throwing INT but ever think that our WR's do not get separation down field? That has been a big problem with them the past few seasons you know.

Cam Newton has every excuse? Really? He has a better OLine, 2 solid RB's, 2 Solid TE's, a pro bowl WR. Please explain to me what this magical IT factor is? The only thing that Cam Newton has right now that Alex Smith doesn't have is a ton of INT's and a losing record. While you call them excuses everyone who knows anything about football calls them legitimate reasons for Alex Smith's delayed development. Alex Smith has shown progression in his development every season even though he has been hindered by inadequate coaching and OC's. I guess seems how yardage is now the new IT stat I guess that means that Cam Newton is going to be the MVP of the SB. Oh that's right you have to actually win those games or else all those yards are worthless. I will take less than 200 yards and a W over 400 yards and a loss any day. Oh one more thing, each week the offense gets opened up more, and more of the WCO is being implemented into the game plans each week. Huh if only Harbaugh had told us something like this was going to happen, oh wait he did. It's funny that everyone can recognize this but the haters.

Go ahead bro, you win. Alex Smith > Cam Newton . Try making that argument to anyone other than a 49er fan .
I say we nominate SD for the homer of the year award. He will not be dissuaded. I admire that.

Homer of the year? He predicted we would go 0-16 this year.

The haters are now saying take some chances , who cares if you throw an INT. I guarantee you once Alex throws an INT they will be saying "typical Alex Smith" "there's the old Alex I know" "Alex Sucks" "WE WANT CARR WE WANT CARR". The haters are impossible to please as they blindly hate Alex Smith for no reason other than their own hatred.

Well maybe if Alex Smith quit throwing interceptions when he actually does toss it down field, we would get off his back.

I will give it up for his red zone play. I just wish he would treat the other 80 yards the same way.

Dude, Alex Smith has terrific mobility for a quarterback. He used to use it a lot in 2006, remember? When you are trouble finding an open receiver, you sprint your ass out of that pocket and you create an opportunity for them. Rodgers does it well, Brees does it well, Big Ben does it really really well. You move, and the defense moves, and an opportunity will present itself down field if you are looking!

You can't blame all of Alex's mistakes on the WR corps these last six years. Have they sucked too? Hell yes. Guess who those sucky receivers are looking to to make a play though? Definitely not themselves.

Go ahead bro, you win. Alex Smith > Cam Newton . Try making that argument to anyone other than a 49er fan .

Alex Smith
2 TD's (should be 3 at the least) 1 INT 68.9%(correction from 69.8%) completion percentage 504 yards and a 2-1 team record.

Cam Newton
4TD's 4 INT's 59.8% completion percentage 1,012 yards and a 1-2 team record

Sorry but Alex Smith still wins. Better TD/ INT ratio, better completion % and better team record.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I say we nominate SD for the homer of the year award. He will not be dissuaded. I admire that.

Homer of the year? He predicted we would go 0-16 this year.

Well, if it's not sarcasm, then I stand corrected sir!

I'm not so sure in his case though. He sure does talk awful excited about a team he was hopeless about.
you realize you lost about half the board at "Alex Smith doing a good job..."

Dude, Alex Smith has terrific mobility for a quarterback. He used to use it a lot in 2006, remember? When you are trouble finding an open receiver, you sprint your ass out of that pocket and you create an opportunity for them. Rodgers does it well, Brees does it well, Big Ben does it really really well. You move, and the defense moves, and an opportunity will present itself down field if you are looking!

You can't blame all of Alex's mistakes on the WR corps these last six years. Have they sucked too? Hell yes. Guess who those sucky receivers are looking to to make a play though? Definitely not themselves.

You act like it's just that easy. He's tried but the damn oline is so horrible you can't escape multiple defenders coming from multiple directions. When Alex has been able to actually do it this year he has made plays. Look at the botched snap PI to Gore, look at the "out of bounds" TD to Crabtree. Don't tell me you are this blinded by your hatred that you can't see these plays, you just choose to not acknowledge them because then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on with your I hate Alex argument other than "uhh dood in seven yeerz........" Guess what, this is 2011 not 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010 so get over it. Alex is playing great with what he has in front of him.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He's doing good at being accurate, but he lacks the balls to throw a WR open on deep passes. He locks on to a WR, and only throws it in the space that he can SEE. The result of that is you have a higher completion percentage and an improved TD-INT ratio, but you are completely risk adverse.

The O-line is a big factor, yes. But it's sort of like a chicken or the egg - if you can beat them or create passes for long gains, then that forces the D to blitz less, and in turn, improves the run.

4th game of the season - I want to see some growth in this offense.

Does not compute? Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton and the 49ers have a better record thus far.

Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

LOLOLOL

Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton? First of all, no. Second of all, like I said, you realize you're comparing him to the 1st overall pick right?

Cam Newton has every excuse in the world to suck right now, but he doesn't. Why? Because he has IT. That thing Alex Smith will never have.

Alex Smith is afforded every excuse in the book in year 7 (LOL) of his career and yet Cam can't even get credit for throwing for 900 yards in his first 2 games on a s**t squad.

And SanDiego, 430 yards and a loss IS BETTER than 125 and a win for the Panthers/Newton. They're building for the future. They know they have a star in the making with Cam Newton. They'd gladly have him play lights out and lose right now than him look like s**t and win a few meaningless games.

I expect to read ridiculous post here but wow dude. 430 yards and a loss are better than 125 yard and a win? Cam only had 158 yards and a win in week three. I bet the panthers must be disappointed LOL. And by calling the panthers a sh1t team you make it obvious you've never actually watched them play this year

Good job Alex....Go Niners!!!
Originally posted by GEEK:
He's doing good at being accurate, but he lacks the balls to throw a WR open on deep passes. He locks on to a WR, and only throws it in the space that he can SEE. The result of that is you have a higher completion percentage and an improved TD-INT ratio, but you are completely risk adverse.

The O-line is a big factor, yes. But it's sort of like a chicken or the egg - if you can beat them or create passes for long gains, then that forces the D to blitz less, and in turn, improves the run.

4th game of the season - I want to see some growth in this offense.

We don't know that. Unless someone is willing to sit down and watch all Smith's throws to figure out if he made the wrong decision on dump offs then it is pure speculation. Seems to me Harbaugh doesn't have a problem with Smith so until that happens and we start losing then we can start blaming him and every other player on the team.
Exactly. Case in point is the 2nd pass of the game @ Cincy (when he was sacked). He had a guy open for a split second on a slant. Instead he's too much of a b***h to make the throw and he ends up holding the ball and getting sacked.

I agree, holding the ball for two seconds is inexcusable! How dare he want three seconds--where his completion % is very good...the real QBs can complete 100% of their passes with less than one second. And these stats are not up for debate...because I'm making them up...because perception is reality!
Alex Smith will consume the English with fireballs from his eyes...and bolts of lightening from his arse.

Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

LOLOLOL

And SanDiego, 430 yards and a loss IS BETTER than 125 and a win for the Panthers/Newton. They're building for the future. They know they have a star in the making with Cam Newton. They'd gladly have him play lights out and lose right now than him look like s**t and win a few meaningless games.

So what you are saying is that if Cam throws for 400+ yards it's because he has IT, but if he throws 3 INT'S in that same game it's because he is a rookie. Am I reading you correctly?
Share 49ersWebzone