LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 234 users in the forums

gore frustrated *Edit - Signed Extension on 8/30 - 3 years: May no longer be frustrated.*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
He's 28 with a history of injuries, including a serious hip injury last season (who breaks their hip when they are 27?), so it will be hard to give Gore the money he wants. Though I like Gore and his elite abilities, RB's are a dime a dozen.

NFL Running Backs
You know Rosenhaus is pointing to the DeAngelo Williams contract . . . no friggin' way the Niner are going to touch that!

I'd say give him a three year (at most) extension for $5-6 million per year with a sweet signing bonus.
I think the Raiders proved last season that a two-headed monster at RB is the way to go. Bush and McFatty tore it up last year. I'd like to see the Niners have that same kind of attack. I don't think that Gore can last an entire season anymore. Many RB's can't. This is a violent game, and Gore will get hurt again if we rely upon him exclusively.

Knowing this -- we can't give away the bank to the guy. Sorry.
2-3 years, make the man happy
Originally posted by HessianDud:
He's 28 with a history of injuries, including a serious hip injury last season (who breaks their hip when they are 27?), so it will be hard to give Gore the money he wants. Though I like Gore and his elite abilities, RB's are a dime a dozen.

NFL Running Backs
I don't many RB's who have broken their hips... no one exactly where or how Gore broke his hip either.

Teams are always finding great backs in late rounds of the draft... or even undrafted... Arian Foster, LaGarret Blount, Peyton Hillis, Frank Gore (3rd Round), Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. etc.... RB's don't last long and it is a much easier position to fill, so asking for a lot of money doesn't make sense.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Aug 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM ]

NFL Running Backs

Those are a dime a dozen also.

Teams are always finding great backs in late rounds of the draft... or even undrafted... Arian Foster, LaGarret Blount, Peyton Hillis, Frank Gore (3rd Round), Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. etc.... RB's don't last long and it is a much easier position to fill, so asking for a lot of money doesn't make sense.

meh. elite RB's aren't a dime a dozen. Even decent ones aren't a gimme, no matter what anyone says. Sure, guys come out of nowhere to have a good season or two, but Gore has consistently been one of the best RB's in the league and despite a few injuries there's nothing that I've seen to say that he can't contribute for another couple of seasons--especially given the likelihood that he will cede some carries to other RB's on the team.

Dixon/Hunter aren't likely to scare opposing teams, preseason warriors or not.

And: it may be a passing league, but how many more Super Bowls do you think Peyton would have won by now with Marshall Faulk?

NFL Running Backs

Those are a dime a dozen also.

meh. elite RB's aren't a dime a dozen. Even decent ones aren't a gimme, no matter what anyone says. Sure, guys come out of nowhere to have a good season or two, but Gore has consistently been one of the best RB's in the league and despite a few injuries there's nothing that I've seen to say that he can't contribute for another couple of seasons--especially given the likelihood that he will cede some carries to other RB's on the team.

Dixon/Hunter aren't likely to scare opposing teams, preseason warriors or not.

And: it may be a passing league, but how many more Super Bowls do you think Peyton would have won by now with Marshall Faulk?

this
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
DeAngelo Williams money?! GTFO of here Frank. You're a great RB, better than Williams. But you're a 28 year old RB with an extensive injury history. We rewarded you in 2007 when we tore up your rookie deal. That was your choice to take the money early. You're a great RB Frank, the best in Niners history. But face the facts and get real. GMs don't pay for past performance, they pay for future expectations.
Deion Sanders voice : Pay da Man
its amazing how willing people are to hate one of if not the best player on their favorite team because he wants to make some money.

You guys know that these guys don't play football for free, right?

With Gore, Niners far apart, trade request could be next

Running back Frank Gore’s decision to conduct only a short holdout doesn’t mean he has abandoned his hope for a new long-term deal.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gore wants DeAngelo Williams money. And since Gore hasn’t gotten what he wants, he’s getting frustrated.
Currently, the two sides are far apart. The situation has been described to PFT as “volatile,” and the next step could be a trade request.
Gore, 28, has gained more than 6,400 yards on the ground in six NFL seasons. He has a career rushing average of 4.7 yards per carry.
He’s due to earn $4.9 million in 2011, the final year of his contract.

per pft
Gore may demand a trade soon as per Maiocco and PFT on Twitter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/with-gore-niners-far-apart-trade-request-could-be-next/
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Aug 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM ]
You can tell, cause he's been horribly pedestrian thus far in preseason. -Slipping, missing pass-protection stunts.
Can't blame Frank for wanting one last payday after all he's done for the team, but at the same time, I can't blame management for being weary of giving a 28 year old injury prone RB a long term deal.

This is a really tricky situation for all.
If he wants DeAngelo Williams money... let the cat go.
Share 49ersWebzone