There are 262 users in the forums

Baalke still has work to do........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think everyone is over reacting, this is the olines first time playing together in nearly six months, and their first time playing under a new coach. NFL Championships are not won in one pre-season game or one regular season game. Give the team time to mold before you guys start jumping off a bridge, we have a lot of new pieces here. Normally the team would have been practicing for a month or so by now, but due to the lock out we have not had that chance. The Saint are a vet team with a lot of chemistry, give us time.

Agree with your assessment but still, our O-Line needs to step up!

Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think everyone is over reacting, this is the olines first time playing together in nearly six months, and their first time playing under a new coach. NFL Championships are not won in one pre-season game or one regular season game. Give the team time to mold before you guys start jumping off a bridge, we have a lot of new pieces here. Normally the team would have been practicing for a month or so by now, but due to the lock out we have not had that chance. The Saint are a vet team with a lot of chemistry, give us time.

Agree with your assessment but still, our O-Line needs to step up!

I'm sure they will.
Originally posted by Paul:
I heard a guy named Palmer is available

They refuse to trade him, so he's not available.
I scoff at the notion that we need to get a veteran QB.

It isn't so much that I am giving Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick my blessing. It's the fact that it is UNLIKELY that any QB, except a marquee QB like Peyton or Brees, will perform much better than Alex Smith this late into training camp and pre-season. And currently, there are no marquee QBs available at the moment.

The fact is, we live and die by Alex Smith this season. If Alex Smith fails horribly or gets injured, I find it unlikely that anyone could come in and succeed on such short notice. The only reason we would need a veteran QB is if Alex Smith gets injured and we're RIGID about not wanting Kaepernick to play until he's ready.

Of course, when I say this, I'm just guessing. Sure, it's not impossible that a veteran could come in and do well with minimal practice time, but I doubt it: our team doesn't have an established structure and surrounding cast like the Saints or Patriots do without putting in some sort of time with his teammates and understanding the playbook.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Aug 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:

It isn't so much that I am giving Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick my blessing. It's the fact that it is UNLIKELY that any QB, except a marquee QB like Peyton or Brees, will perform much better than Alex Smith this late into training camp and pre-season. And currently, there are no marquee QBs available at the moment.

The fact is, we live and die by Alex Smith this season. If Alex Smith fails horribly or gets injured, I find it unlikely that anyone could come in and succeed on such short notice. The only reason we would need a veteran QB is if Alex Smith gets injured and we're RIGID about not wanting Kaepernick to play until he's ready.

Of course, when I say this, I'm just guessing. Sure, it's not impossible that a veteran could come in and do well with minimal practice time, but I doubt it: our team doesn't have an established structure and surrounding cast like the Saints or Patriots do without putting in some sort of time with his teammates and understanding the playbook.

Sounds like an intelligent post.... makes me sick.

Think if it as more of a protection of our investment. If Alex goes down, Kap is up. I dont think he is ready and getting thrown to the lions without proper training could have deleterious effects on our future qb that he could never recover from. Get a #2 as insurance, he doesnt need to succeed he just needs to be filler umtil Kap is ready. Walsh brought Joe along slowly putting him in positions where he could succeed, putting Kap behind that line as it was tonight would be bad.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Anthony Davis played like caca

Just him? I thought Staley sucked as usual. He is not a good LT IMO.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

If the Bengals really wanted to get even with Palmer they should trade him here. Whoever plays QB for us this is year is going to get their ass beat into the ground.

I certainly don't think Palmer would want to come out of retirement to play here after watching tonight's oline performance.

ive never seem brees or manning complete that many passes when hit from behind as they are throwing
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I know its only the first preseason game, but if anything came out of this, its that we do indeed need to sign a veteran QB.

I don't expect them to add anyone who would compete for a starting role, other than perhaps on the O-line. There is a chance they aren't comfortable with anyone we have at RG or RT (unless they shift Staley back to the right), so those are the only spots I can see a trade or something, but it's very unlikely.

I understand that some people are looking at QB, but this game gave almost no insight into quarterback play, or other offensive skill positions for that matter. There is not a quarterback on the planet that could've turned in a good performance in that position tonight (...okay, maaaybe Vick).

I fully expect our pass protection to improve (how can it not), but the only consideration for a "vet" or "quality" 3rd quarterback is for the concern that there is a possibility that both Smith and Kap get injured. I think Harbaugh had been planning to only dress 2 QB's in order to carry an extra player elsewhere or for special teams, but that could be reconsidered if things don't change quickly.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

If the Bengals really wanted to get even with Palmer they should trade him here. Whoever plays QB for us this is year is going to get their ass beat into the ground.

I certainly don't think Palmer would want to come out of retirement to play here after watching tonight's oline performance.

Can we call farve already. Hell offer 50 million to kurt warner if he can't make this work were screwed!
and Dante "I dont even play in the NFL anymore" Culpooper is what he brings us?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
During the train wreck that was tonight's first pre-season game, Tim Ryan made a point that Baalke's work is not done yet. It is apparent that our offensive line needs major help and the Niners could definitely use a veteran 3rd QB. What other changes do you see coming before the end of the preseason?

Share 49ersWebzone