LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

***SF 49ERS VS. OAK RAIDERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Week 2)***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I have to say the offense as a whole looked completely different. yes it is pre-season, but at the same time harbaugh said he wanted to see improvement. and i think he saw that tremendously.

As far as Smith went, id like to see him vs the Texans to see if he gets even better. A lot that call the INT another Smith moment, i look at it differently. i remember a vet in here when i posted about Alex and his Int's and they responded, i dont care if he throws an INT just as long as he is moving the offense and doenst go into a shell after that.

As a result he didnt, and i thought it was a pretty telling stat that said he had a 118 QB rating in the redzone. Second in the entire NFL only to Romo. So if this was a regular season game, i think he would of scored at least 2td's before the half.

I cant lie, those two drops i was like damn, same old team. But Edwards had the first one i think, then made that terrific grab on the sideline. When throwing to Morgan, i could of swore Smitty was gonna miss him, but nah. Even when he escaped the lineman when the pocket collapsed and stood in there, and connected for a first down I thought, damn maybe a fumble or sacks about to come, but nope.

Overall, I just wanted to see the starting O move the ball up and down the field. I'd take that one INT every game, if it led to us keeping the ball for at least 75% of the time. Knowing now that hopefully Smith doesnt go into hybernation if he does have a bad play. And actually passing for over 120yds all in the first half. In seasons past, he may have had that, just going into the 4th quarter.

While its waay to early to say this will be Alex's normal routine of running the O up and down the field, i have to say Harbaugh is what this team needed. And yeah we have 2 pre-season games left, but i cant wait till our opener, when he really opens up the offense.

I didn't mind that INT at all either. He made a blind throw and trusted his read which was something he would have never done before.

Hit the nail on the head... in previous regimes he would of been told not to make the throw unless he was 100% sure and to check down, causing him to overthink everything and make mistakes. He knows the system, now he just needs to trust it and its nice he is showing those signs... it'll take his overthinking every throw out of the equation.
I was really impressed with how quickly and how deep Shaughnessy actually dropped back. I don't remember seeing many DEs do that so deeply... easy to understand why a QB wouldn't have expected a DE to be there (not that deep).
  • dj43
Was delighted to see the OL go to zone blocking almost exclusively last night. In the past, it was man-on-man with Mike Iupati leading the way and it was easy for the D to just follow him to the ball carrier.

Last night they were zoning, stretching the defense and letting the back read and cut back. It was the closest thing I have seen to Shanahan's run game in recent years. The result was more room for the OL and the backs to operate. The D had to sit back and wait to see what was happening instead of just blowing things up.

Also on pass protect, much better angles and leverage - showed the OL coaches had not only watched the film but knew how to correct the issues.

Games are won in the trenches and last night, the 49er OL won the game.

can't believe I actually wrote that...
Was that a football game or gang warfare. I even saw players on the sidelines watching the fights in the stands. Two dudes got capped in the parking lot afiter ther game. AYSM(are you sh... me).
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I was really impressed with how quickly and how deep Shaughnessy actually dropped back. I don't remember seeing many DEs do that so deeply... easy to understand why a QB wouldn't have expected a DE to be there (not that deep).

Shaughnessy turned around and ran to his zone then hovered there and Smith threw it right to him. It was a terrible interception, not a good play by the defense. Smith needs to see that or if he saw it, not make the throw.

It was a simple int most members on this zone could have made.

Watch the video....On Smith's hitch, he looks right at the defender. Either Smith thought he could get it over the DE or Smith didn't see him. Either way, that's a bad play by the QB. The correct throw was underneath the DE to Walker on the short cross.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011082052/2011/PRE2/raiders@49ers#tab:watch
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM ]
Half of the team has had only 10-15 practices in a whole new system so yeah things looked good.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Half of the team has had only 10-15 practices in a whole new system so yeah things looked good.

Agreed. For only having that short of a time, i was impressed. What was most impressive was how the second teamers looked. Grant, Kilgore, Hunter, Edwards, Culliver all made a case to make the squad.
On the INT it looked like Smith had his eyes downfield on what the CBs were doing threw the ball without expecting Shaughnessy being there in zone and didn't see him till after he chucked it.

It's all on Smith but I would've been more worried about the INT if it was a bad throw. In this case I think it's something that wouldn't have happened in a regular season game with a week of film study and prep.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
On the INT it looked like Smith had his eyes downfield on what the CBs were doing threw the ball without expecting Shaughnessy being there in zone and didn't see him till after he chucked it.

It's all on Smith but I would've been more worried about the INT if it was a bad throw. In this case I think it's something that wouldn't have happened in a regular season game with a week of film study and prep.

I second this notion.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM ]
it looks like this has been a solid draft for the Niners--first one in years. WTG Baalke

Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Was that a football game or gang warfare. I even saw players on the sidelines watching the fights in the stands. Two dudes got capped in the parking lot afiter ther game. AYSM(are you sh... me).
News here says it was raiderfan on raiderfan violence...surprise...surprise.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Shaughnessy turned around and ran to his zone then hovered there and Smith threw it right to him. It was a terrible interception, not a good play by the defense. Smith needs to see that or if he saw it, not make the throw.

It was a simple int most members on this zone could have made.

Watch the video....On Smith's hitch, he looks right at the defender. Either Smith thought he could get it over the DE or Smith didn't see him. Either way, that's a bad play by the QB. The correct throw was underneath the DE to Walker on the short cross.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011082052/2011/PRE2/raiders@49ers#tab:watch

Leave it to you to harp on the one bad play from Smith. Feel better now? I wasn't suggesting that it was a good play or decision. Just that if a QB is reading from right to left, and doesn't expect a DE on the left to drop back so deeply... that it's more understandable. Still, not saying it's a good thing. I watched the 2nd half, and only bits and pieces of the 1st. Sounds like Smith had a pretty good game that should have been better if there were 3 passes not dropped. I'll enjoy watching it recorded from NFLN in the morning to see everything. What did you think? Did Smith look pretty good with the better OL blocking? How did you feel when he made some nice plays? Happy or upset?
[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM ]
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
it looks like this has been a solid draft for the Niners--first one in years. WTG Baalke

But wait, Baalke doesn't know what he is doing!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Exactly. Sing wouldnt have even known how to respond. Probably just criticize his players.

Sings response to every error on the field,"We'll would have to look at the game film...."
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Exactly. Sing wouldnt have even known how to respond. Probably just criticize his players.

Sings response to every error on the field,"We'll would have to look at the game film...."

'we would"
Share 49ersWebzone