LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

A third QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Trade for Orton, or even better Matt Flynn from GB

No way we get Orton to be a back up. He wants to be a starter and we would have to give up atleast a third-second round pick, you don't give that for a back up qb. Plus Green Bay will not send us Matt Flynn in a lateral move, he has shown tremendous potential. They will keep him there, continue to develop him and have a solid back up for Rodgers.
Originally posted by LanceQ:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Montana19:
id like to have Mark Bulger or Trent Edwards.

Edwards was picked up by the Raiders. Bulger is an option.

Would Bulger be a no# 3 QB? I thought he was looking to start.

Plus the Ravens paid him like 3 million last season to be a back up. If we weren't willing to spend that kind of cash to get some better veterans in here yet, I'd be pissed if they spent that on a back up quarterback.
Troy Smith or David Carr
Here's my thought...I wouldn't mind having Bulger or even Chad Pennington. I know Pennington is getting up their in age and has minor injury issues, but he's a solid Vet and has always done a decent job wherever he goes for at least part of a season if not the whole season for one year. But, here's a list of others still available..Brett Favre is still availabe to though!! hahaha

C. Pennington
D. Orvoslky
J.T. O'llsullivan
Kevin O'Connell
Keith Null
Rex Grossman
Chris Greisen
Charlie Frye
Dennis Dixon
Todd Collins
Brian Brohm
Todd Bouman
Derek Anderson
Erik Ainge

PS: Anderson might not be a bad back up in a new place and new system, or even Grossman..one guy I haven't heard much about though is Josh Johnson did he re-sign or what? I can't find it anywhere yet.

PSS: Just so u guys know Nate Davis signed with Indy..I'm still wishing this guy luck he was so clutch in pre-season..
Originally posted by maverick4958:
Here's my thought...I wouldn't mind having Bulger or even Chad Pennington. I know Pennington is getting up their in age and has minor injury issues, but he's a solid Vet and has always done a decent job wherever he goes for at least part of a season if not the whole season for one year. But, here's a list of others still available..Brett Favre is still availabe to though!! hahaha

C. Pennington
D. Orvoslky
J.T. O'llsullivan
Kevin O'Connell
Keith Null
Rex Grossman
Chris Greisen
Charlie Frye
Dennis Dixon
Todd Collins
Brian Brohm
Todd Bouman
Derek Anderson
Erik Ainge

PS: Anderson might not be a bad back up in a new place and new system, or even Grossman..one guy I haven't heard much about though is Josh Johnson did he re-sign or what? I can't find it anywhere yet.

PSS: Just so u guys know Nate Davis signed with Indy..I'm still wishing this guy luck he was sThe third qb is already on the team.

This kid from Sac State has a quick relelase, a high wonderlic score, and could be a real diamond in the rough. Imagine if he develops and the NFL gurus say who is this guy?? similar to Matt Cassel and Kurt Warner?
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Of the current list of available FA QBs still available, should the niners go after one, who is available and who would do think that 49ers should go after? Or is there a trade that is plausible for the niners.

I doubt the niners would spend the pick to go after Carson Palmer, but JJ of Tampa is more plausible.

Right now I know there is Bulger and Jake out there. Who else? Or is there a third scenario?

They need another Vet for sure. Going into the season with Alex,Kap,and UFA. Doesn't excatly scream success. As for who I say either Bulger or Johnson (By a trade).

A few years back Greenbay went in to the season with Aaron, Brian Brohm and Matt Flinn but noone screamed about that. If Kap shows he is progressing I would rather save the money for someone else like DG or AF.
Dennis Dixon. Bring the San Leandro kid home. Solid coaching and starter experience in Pittsburgh. Good arm AND good feet. Will know/understand his role as a back-up. Harbaugh has defensed him in the Pac 10, so knows Dixon's game. Affordable.

Sign some FA's for the defensive backfield, then sign-up Dixon.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by fly15:
Trade for Orton, or even better Matt Flynn from GB

No way we get Orton to be a back up. He wants to be a starter and we would have to give up atleast a third-second round pick, you don't give that for a back up qb. Plus Green Bay will not send us Matt Flynn in a lateral move, he has shown tremendous potential. They will keep him there, continue to develop him and have a solid back up for Rodgers.

agree
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd? how bout a 1st!

Lol
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
3rd? how bout a 1st!

• Paul
  • Veteran
haven't we signed a bunch of no name QBs the past week to come to camp? I figure one of them will win the job, and that Masoli guy has been taking reps at QB. Vet wise Matt Moore went to Miami, Amderson is close to going to the Panthers, Trent Edwards went to the Raiders.. it's drying up
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Dennis Dixon. Bring the San Leandro kid home. Solid coaching and starter experience in Pittsburgh. Good arm AND good feet. Will know/understand his role as a back-up. Harbaugh has defensed him in the Pac 10, so knows Dixon's game. Affordable.

Sign some FA's for the defensive backfield, then sign-up Dixon.

i think Dixon could be useful, throw a trick play or two into the playbook with this guy
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by LanceQ:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Montana19:
id like to have Mark Bulger or Trent Edwards.

Edwards was picked up by the Raiders. Bulger is an option.

Would Bulger be a no# 3 QB? I thought he was looking to start.

Plus the Ravens paid him like 3 million last season to be a back up. If we weren't willing to spend that kind of cash to get some better veterans in here yet, I'd be pissed if they spent that on a back up quarterback.

Plus Jim Harbaugh isn't going to sign Bulger away from John Harbaugh if Ravens still want him.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
haven't we signed a bunch of no name QBs the past week to come to camp? I figure one of them will win the job, and that Masoli guy has been taking reps at QB. Vet wise Matt Moore went to Miami, Amderson is close to going to the Panthers, Trent Edwards went to the Raiders.. it's drying up

Masoli has been taking reps at RB actually, bethel-thompson has been the no-name QB we got lol.

I'm done w/carr and troy, screw em both, neither are worth a spot based off of last years performances. and there aren't many FA's left that I want...So we may just stick w/alex and kaep at least until other teams finalize their rosters and let a few backup qb's go(like we did picking up troy last year from the ravens).
Share 49ersWebzone