-
SybErkRimInAL
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 59,185
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Clements is our best cb! He's not going anywhere.
Alex could be considered our best QB, would you like to keep him around?
with our current options, yes. But I see your point. Still, I think Clements should stay. Unless we plan on replacing him via the draft or FA.
-
jacklegniner
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,206
i think players that get their contracts terminated like stroud, who signed with the Pats, are free to sign anywhere because it is more like they got fired??? no one had rights to them??? i'm not really sure if anyone knows really. i say just try and sign a player and see how the boys upstairs scramble to find the right answer. I just wish the owners would counter the offer from the players so we can at least see how far apart they are.
-
SybErkRimInAL
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 59,185
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Clements is our best cb! He's not going anywhere.
Alex could be considered our best QB, would you like to keep him around?
with our current options, yes. But I see your point. Still, I think Clements should stay. Unless we plan on replacing him via the draft or FA.
Peterson
I think we're gonna end up with Akimura. BTW, I'd take Julio Jones over Green.
-
WildBill
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 6,217
Well the niners tendered 3 players not under contract, but that is probably more of move to get compensation in the next draft (2012) and set the scale for any team that might them.
As far as Clements, until you get someone to replace him under contract it is unwise to just let a player go. Plus once you cut the guy and when a CBA is signed he can sign with anyone, the niners still like him (you may not) but at a cheaper price. Then they could use that money to go after the Raiders NA. If they still go after a corner in the draft (PP or PA), and Then NC could be used as a safetey, as well as the dime, nickel back.
Our 2ndary would then be pretty sick and give our front four a lot more time to sack and pressure the QB whether or not we land a stellar pass rusher.
-
wolfpack52
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 581
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Not sure if this is correct, but with no CBA, are the niners obligated to pay Clements, I think not, plus I believe there is a certain day that you need to cut the player and I don't think they are there yet.
Standing pat and until their is a CBA is smart when you don't know what the rules will be.
Exactly. Each player is a different situation. Some guys are often injured or career under achievers. Niners don't really have any players to dump. they don't want to dump Nate they want him to take a pay cut.
Ok look at what the Packers just pulled with Hawk. He wasnt worth the contract so they cut him and resigned him in 48 hours. I thought the niners should of tried this with Clements. Now its too close to the deadline. I think the reward is worth the risk.
-
lamontb
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 33,335
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Not sure if this is correct, but with no CBA, are the niners obligated to pay Clements, I think not, plus I believe there is a certain day that you need to cut the player and I don't think they are there yet.
Standing pat and until their is a CBA is smart when you don't know what the rules will be.
Exactly. Each player is a different situation. Some guys are often injured or career under achievers. Niners don't really have any players to dump. they don't want to dump Nate they want him to take a pay cut.
Ok look at what the Packers just pulled with Hawk. He wasnt worth the contract so they cut him and resigned him in 48 hours. I thought the niners should of tried this with Clements. Now its too close to the deadline. I think the reward is worth the risk.
How do we know they didn't try this with Nate? Maybe Nate just isn't down for taking the pay cut and feels he can test the free market and earn more than what the Niners are offering. I'm sure if Hawk and his agent didn't like what he was offered after being released then he would test the market as well.