LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Stadium question for the people who live in SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I live in Toronto and so I don't exactly get a lot of the local stadium news for the Niners. My question is this:
Why can't the just demolish Candlestick and re-build right there?

Move to Stanford or AT&T for 3 seasons while the build the new Candlestick and then move back when it's done.

Is anything like this even considered in the area. I know they played at Stanford in 89 when they had the earthquake, and I know the XFL team played at the Giants stadium, so why can't they play there?

Not trying to get into a debate, I just don't know all the facts and have been curious.
For the fan watching on TV, playing at AT&T would look great!! (I know they can't stay there because there are not enough seats).

Where they want to build the new stadium in Hunters Point can be measured in yards from the Stick. It would be pretty close to building right at Candlestick already.

Its actually at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard. It's a Superfund site, and currently has LOADS of unremediated radioactive wast present on site. It will take years to clean up, cost tens of millions of dollars (potentially hundreds of millions), and the site still has really rotten access from the freeway.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erB4Us:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Am I the only person who thinks the OP was asking a question to Bay Area/Norcal Residents and not "people who live in SF"

When 9b4Us argues his case he points out he's a resident of SF... or that he's been watching since the Kezar days... even his handle comes across conceited.

9b4Us... I would like you to know that I am happy for you. Congratulations.

Look Einstein...

1st - The Subject from the OP is "SUBJECT: QUESTION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN SF"

2nd - You said, "EVEN HIS HANDLE COMES ACROSS CONCEITED" you were not talking about my message, you were personally attacking me....

3rd - I wasn't talking to YOU...period

Either you need Lens Crafters, Can't Comprehend Good English, Or You Are On Crack...Or possibly All Three.

I can see there is a MOB Mentality on this Thread, in other words if you ain't down with the Suburban Stadium, You are Attacked...
I Guess that saying is true, "Haters are Gonna Hate"

like I said... you are the only person who takes the title literally. Everybody on here, regardless of the city they live in is open to expressing their opinion and shouldnt be talked down to.

Quote:
I am a resident of San Francisco, and I'm not gonna lie...
Quote:
1st - I thought this Thread was specifically for Individuals who "Live" in San Francisco. *Stadium Question for the people who live in SF*
Quote:
The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.
um no, what he meant was people close to the situation. SF represents the entire Norcal... its the same as when I travel abroad I tell people i'm from SF.

Quote:
And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.
Quote:
I guess you could call me *old school* for honoring the legacy, tradition, and history of the 49ers in the City of SF
Just because you are old, and have been watching this team since the 50's... it doesnt make you any more of a fan than the rest of us. Thats a cheap argument.

Quote:
San Francisco is the Heart & Soul of the Bay Area, NOT the South Bay,
I will have to disagree... the South Bay is just as important if not more so than the City.

Quote:
(Cypher) You Being a Native San Franciscan, as I am, you also know that Lennar has spotted the Yorks $1 mil dollars to start the Hunters Point Stadium.
Quote:
you 2 are Partners in Crime, and both Worship at the alter of the all Mighty Stadium in the Suburbs
Quote:
I think cypher was very Pro-SF Stadium Site. After all he IS from San Francisco.

I grew up in Hayward, I love the bay area, I love San Francisco. But now that I live in the Central Valley there is something that irks me and its ignorance. In CA there is this problem with people thinking they are better than somebody else, or in this case their opinion is more important because of where they live. People in the Central Valley think everybody in SF is gay, people in the Bay area think everybody in Central valley are rednecks, people in SF tend to think highly of themselves and it all annoys me.

I notice that you have something against the suburb and it only enforces my claim that your message is conceited. Its apparent that you are unable to comprehend my argument so you've resorted to calling me stupid or a drug user (in a round about way).

Marv told me not to bother responding to your messages but i'll ignore his suggestion because i'm rather enjoying this.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM ]
Am I the only person who thinks the OP was asking a question to Bay Area/Norcal Residents and not "people who live in SF"

When 9b4Us argues his case he points out he's a resident of SF... or that he's been watching since the Kezar days... even his handle comes across conceited.

Look Einstein...

1st - The Subject from the OP is "SUBJECT: QUESTION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN SF"

2nd - You said, "EVEN HIS HANDLE COMES ACROSS CONCEITED" you were not talking about my message, you were personally attacking me....

Either you need Lens Crafters, Can't Comprehend Good English, Or You Are On Crack...Or possibly All Three.

I can see there is a MOB Mentality on this Thread, in other words if you ain't down with the Suburban Stadium, You are Attacked...

like I said... you are the only person who takes the title literally. Everybody on here, regardless of the city they live in is open to expressing their opinion and shouldnt be talked down to.

Quote:
Quote:
1st - I thought this Thread was specifically for Individuals who "Live" in San Francisco. *Stadium Question for the people who live in SF*
Quote:
The OP specifically said that he wanted to hear from individuals *WHO RESIDE IN SAN FRANCISCO REGARDING THE STADIUM ISSUE.
um no, what he meant was people close to the situation. SF represents the entire Norcal... its the same as when I travel abroad I tell people i'm from SF.

Quote:
And we will never come to agreement, cuz I embrace the 49ers History, and you have a different opinion about the 49ers History.
Quote:
I guess you could call me *old school* for honoring the legacy, tradition, and history of the 49ers in the City of SF
Just because you are old, and have been watching this team since the 50's... it doesnt make you any more of a fan than the rest of us. Thats a cheap argument.

Quote:
I will have to disagree... the South Bay is just as important if not more so than the City.

Quote:
(Cypher) You Being a Native San Franciscan, as I am, you also know that Lennar has spotted the Yorks $1 mil dollars to start the Hunters Point Stadium.
Quote:
you 2 are Partners in Crime, and both Worship at the alter of the all Mighty Stadium in the Suburbs
Quote:
I think cypher was very Pro-SF Stadium Site. After all he IS from San Francisco.

I grew up in Hayward, I love the bay area, I love San Francisco. But now that I live in the Central Valley there is something that irks me and its ignorance. In CA there is this problem with people thinking they are better than somebody else, or in this case their opinion is more important because of where they live. People in the Central Valley think everybody in SF is gay, people in the Bay area think everybody in Central valley are rednecks, people in SF tend to think highly of themselves and it all annoys me.

I notice that you have something against the suburb and it only enforces my claim that your message is conceited. Its apparent that you are unable to comprehend my argument so you've resorted to calling me stupid or a drug user (in a round about way).

Marv told me not to bother responding to your messages but i'll ignore his suggestion because i'm rather enjoying this.

First of All I will repeat...I WAS NOT TALKING TO YOU...

I came on to this thread because the OP asked for people who LIVE in the City about the Stadium in SF, IF YOU HAVE A PROMBLEM WITH THE QUESTION, DIRECT IT TO THE "OP." If I knew I was going to be "Personally Attacked," just by giving my own opinion I would NOT given it to bigmur49.

The Question IS NOT ABOUT ME, OR WHO I AM...It WAS about the Question, "People Who Live in SF, & the Stadium" and I expressed my opinion. The Pack Mob Mentality on this thread does not Like my Opinion, so they ATTACK every word I say...I get it, so why don't you and your little Juvenile friends just Move On.

Delusion, and Dysfuntion reigns SUPREME on this thread, by a few Juveniles who keep hoping for a Fantsy Suburban Stadium that Ain't Never Gonna Happen...

PEACE OUT, so called fellow 49er brethren...
(I really don't believe Real 49er Fans, treat other 49er Fans Like This)
[ Edited by 9erB4Us on Jan 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM ]

Look Einstein...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!

Go for it. ;-)

Just remember, you've be warned.

He claims we (a few of us posters, not you) are unconvincable because we are "Worshippers of the Stadium in the Suburbs" and "On the York Payroll" if you think the SC plan is simply more viable than SF. He clearly has an SF bias, even admits it, but doesn't see how that could possibly cloud his judgement. Hmmm.

I told him I'd prefer the stadium built in SF, but I didn't see how it could work.

Bottom line tho, it doesn't matter where you want the stadium built (I'm not even going to ask you).

He will simply try to dismiss you by TELLING you what your opinion is, then arguing against the opinion he is assiigning to you.

I like to debate as much (or more) than the next guy, but fighting with him is like having a war of words when your opponent is unarmed. Its not fun. He's ill equipped.

Have at it tho, I have the popcorn ready. ;-)
  • mod
  • Veteran

Look Einstein...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

First of All I will repeat...I WAS NOT TALKING TO YOU...

I came on to this thread because the OP asked for people who LIVE in the City about the Stadium in SF, IF YOU HAVE A PROMBLEM WITH THE QUESTION, DIRECT IT TO THE "OP." If I knew I was going to be "Personally Attacked," just by giving my own opinion I would NOT given it to bigmur49.

The Question IS NOT ABOUT ME, OR WHO I AM...It WAS about the Question, "People Who Live in SF, & the Stadium" and I expressed my opinion. The Pack Mob Mentality on this thread does not Like my Opinion, so they ATTACK every word I say...I get it, so why don't you and your little Juvenile friends just Move On.

Delusion, and Dysfuntion reigns SUPREME on this thread, by a few Juveniles who keep hoping for a Fantsy Suburban Stadium that Ain't Never Gonna Happen...

PEACE OUT, so called fellow 49er brethren...
(I really don't believe Real 49er Fans, treat other 49er Fans Like This)

I dont give a crap if you were talking to me... and I dont have a problem with the OP or that you would rather the stadium be constructed in SF. Anytime somebody challenges your statements you either respond by saying they are delusional or you question their fanhood. Your last post was a perfect example.

My problem is your attitude during the discussion. All I ask is that you get off your high horse.
Well this all got a little testy!

Didn't reralyy caqre who answered, just wanted a factual reason for why they can't just re-build on Candlestick (as I don't know the actual area at all).

From what I can decipher access and traffic are the biggest problems with the area so I now get why going to SC seems to be the best bet.

As someone who would not be "losing" the team, as it doesn't effect me if they are an hour away I just want them to get into something new soon which looks good on TV and more importantly gives the Niners the additional revenue needed to ensure we can keep our best players and if they are in a bidding war (like almsot happened with JH) cost is not going to be the reason we don't get what we want. My main fear is that they will end up in LA or worse and although it doesn't effect me watching on TV, there has always been something about the NoCal area and lifestye that makes we want them to stay.

As a side note, I think it is ridiculous to think that the ciity could somehow "keep" the San Francisco name if the team moves away, especially to Santa Clara. I know we should never be too surprised by what governments are able to do, but this sounds impossible. So many team names don't even represent where the team actually is already, I can't see this actually happening.
I live in Toronto and so I don't exactly get a lot of the local stadium news for the Niners. My question is this:
Why can't the just demolish Candlestick and re-build right there?

Move to Stanford or AT&T for 3 seasons while the build the new Candlestick and then move back when it's done.

Is anything like this even considered in the area. I know they played at Stanford in 89 when they had the earthquake, and I know the XFL team played at the Giants stadium, so why can't they play there?

Not trying to get into a debate, I just don't know all the facts and have been curious.
For the fan watching on TV, playing at AT&T would look great!! (I know they can't stay there because there are not enough seats).

Way back when DeBartolo and Policy ran the team, that was the plan. I think they utimately soured on SF because the political climate is too difficult, there is better access at the Santa Clara site, and the majority of their fan base was down on the Peninsula anyway.

Didn't reralyy caqre who answered, just wanted a factual reason for why they can't just re-build on Candlestick (as I don't know the actual area at all).

From what I can decipher access and traffic are the biggest problems with the area so I now get why going to SC seems to be the best bet.

As someone who would not be "losing" the team, as it doesn't effect me if they are an hour away I just want them to get into something new soon which looks good on TV and more importantly gives the Niners the additional revenue needed to ensure we can keep our best players and if they are in a bidding war (like almsot happened with JH) cost is not going to be the reason we don't get what we want. My main fear is that they will end up in LA or worse and although it doesn't effect me watching on TV, there has always been something about the NoCal area and lifestye that makes we want them to stay.

As a side note, I think it is ridiculous to think that the ciity could somehow "keep" the San Francisco name if the team moves away, especially to Santa Clara. I know we should never be too surprised by what governments are able to do, but this sounds impossible. So many team names don't even represent where the team actually is already, I can't see this actually happening.

LOL. Yup...it got a bit testy. ;-)

If you get a chance to look at them, the plans for the Hunters Point plan are actually beautiful. They include a woterfront, grass parking lots, a TON of space and a view of the SF skyline from the stadium.

My issue with it is just that it requires ALOT of infrastructure and the history of building in SF isn't the greatest.

The SC plan already has the infrastructure in place and thats the ONLY reason I think its more viable.

If SF could somehow guarantee that it could make the plan work, I'm all for it. It looks much nicer.

As for the naming thing...ya, thats a joke. ;-)
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

If you get a chance to look at them, the plans for the Hunters Point plan are actually beautiful. They include a woterfront, grass parking lots, a TON of space and a view of the SF skyline from the stadium.

My issue with it is just that it requires ALOT of infrastructure and the history of building in SF isn't the greatest.

The SC plan already has the infrastructure in place and thats the ONLY reason I think its more viable.

If SF could somehow guarantee that it could make the plan work, I'm all for it. It looks much nicer.

As for traffic, All you gotta look at are the maps riki dropped. The freeway network and local expressways in SC are much better at handling traffic than on the peninsula. I personally like the move since the plan in place would mean less traffic for me and no more toll fees. The only people losing out are residents of SF and north bay area that will have to add another 30-40 min to their drive. But considering that the majority of niner fans and the bay area population in general is located in San Jose, this will benefit the majority of fans.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM ]

As for traffic, All you gotta look at are the maps riki dropped. The freeway network and local expressways in SC are much better at handling traffic than on the peninsula. I personally like the move since the plan in place would mean less traffic for me and no more toll fees. The only people losing out are residents of SF and north bay area that will have to add another 30-40 min to their drive. But considering that the majority of niner fans and the bay area population in general is located in San Jose, this will benefit the majority of fans.

I agree with everything but the bolded. The majority of Niner fans nor the majority of the bay area population aren't in San Jose. There's definitely a lot of both, but I don't think calling them the majority is accurate at all.

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Its actually at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard. It's a Superfund site, and currently has LOADS of unremediated radioactive wast present on site. It will take years to clean up, cost tens of millions of dollars (potentially hundreds of millions), and the site still has really rotten access from the freeway.

Not to mention the cleanup is being handled by the Navy and is depended on federal dollars. Any change in funding could delay the stadium.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

Not to mention the cleanup is being handled by the Navy and is depended on federal dollars. Any change in funding could delay the stadium.

FWIW, the clean-up is actually well underway.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cityinsider/detail?entry_id=72473
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I agree with everything but the bolded. The majority of Niner fans nor the majority of the bay area population aren't in San Jose. There's definitely a lot of both, but I don't think calling them the majority is accurate at all.

I think what he means is that a very large block of the season ticket holders are from Santa Clara COUNTY, not specifically San Jose. There is a MUCH larger % of Santa Clara County residents than SF residents. I couldn't speak to the north bay.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I think what he means is that a very large block of the season ticket holders are from Santa Clara COUNTY, not specifically San Jose. There is a MUCH larger % of Santa Clara County residents than SF residents. I couldn't speak to the north bay.

god why is everybody reading everything so literally... I meant the South Bay hold the largest population. I used San Jose to represent the South Bay.

But lets look at the statistics.
Santa Clara County - 1,764,499 (San Jose - 964,695)
SF and SM County - 1,527,820 (SF - 815,358)
Alameda County - 1,474,368 (i dont know if I should count CC County since it covers multiple regions)
North Bay is obviously least populated.

Majority - a subset having the largest number of parts.

Both Santa Clara and San Jose have the largest population and so therefore it has the majority.

As far as Niner fans... Over the past couple years i've read on several occasions that most of the fan base resides in the South Bay. But since I have no statistics to back it up your belief is as good as mine. You believe they reside mostly on the Peninsula?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

FWIW, the clean-up is actually well underway.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cityinsider/detail?entry_id=72473

That actually says the money hasn't been approved by Congress yet (but its from Sept 10).

I know the cleanup is underway, but we're talking about the Federal Government here. Nothing they do ever gets done on time. I'm in the Air Force, you don't know how many times government projects go overbudget and don't get finished on time.

That's the point I was making. What happens if the 49ers sign on to the deal and it takes longer to get the land cleaned up. The 49ers want the stadium built by 2015, a single delay could really impact that.
Share 49ersWebzone