There are 645 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by escobar49:
The difference is Cowher and Gruden have HC offers every year. I don't think Billick has even gotten 1 offer since he was fired.

How do you know this? I haven't heard of any of them getting job offers.

According to a local interview in Baltimore, Billick has had "numerous" "feelers" over the past year but he has "picky" and has flat out said he is not willing to entertain offers unless they are from a stable organization with the right pieces in place. The consensus is he is picking his spot because he is very comfortable in the media and doesn't necessarily "need" to come back.

Most of the stuff I hear out here say that Billick wouldn't come back to go to SF because of the organization's problems. I don't know what they are saying out there - or if Billick is full of it and he hasn't actually had a lot of interest. But the guy won a lot of football games in the NFL, I think 2 losing seasons in 9 years.

Bill Belicheck isn't coming to this team - so perhaps its time to be realistic and look for an experienced head coach who knows how to run an offense and actually is interested in the QB position. Any of that would be a major upgrade.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by daWest:
LOL. He will retain Alex and try to hit lightning in a bottle twice with crap QBs.

Word.

you guys make it like alex will want to come back to the 9ers next year..

he'll go away and in 2 years he'll be the quarterback of a playoff team

It's still his best chance to start.

These people sound so sure that he'll go somewhere else and be successful..They seem so sure. LOL

Depends of where he goes. If he goes somewhere with a competent offensive coaching staff and an actual NFL offensive line I guaranty he will!

do you guaranty it?

Lol. I wouldn't be so sure to GUARANTEE anything about Alex Smith. Just look at the Jets and Mark Sanchez. He has great talent around him, but he can't seem to get it done. Goes to show you that even if you have a great staff and supporting cast, the QB DOES MATTER.
You guys do know its spelt guaranty also right?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guaranty

Spelt? Oh really.

spelt
— vb
a past tense and past participle of spell

whats the problem
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Browns are already waiting for the season to end to go after Gruden and I hope all niner fans would want Gruden over Billick. Last year the redskins wanted him. He's also turned down two college coaching offers from Miami and Tennessee. Cowher can get any job he chooses. Teams interested in him are the giants, dolphins, and the texans. Teams that may be interested in Billick. Our sorry 49ers

No, Cowher leaked a list of teams he would consider coming back to coach that included Miami, NYG and Houston. That's a big difference from them pursuing him.
I don't think Sparano, Coughlin or Kubiak will be sending Cowher a christmas card next year.

Also Houston as last I heard was keeping Kubiak and adding Wade Phillips as DC even with the specter of Cowher looming over the decision.
Originally posted by maximill15:

Lol you want Clement and Spencer to plan man? Lololol manusky plays zone because our db's can't play man, yet that DC's fault?

So let's run more f**king zone to fix the problem then. I don't think Manusky could run more zone if he tried. What's he afraid of: giving up lots of pass yards and losing?. Laugh like you know wtf you're talking about all you want, but when we nearly always play zone and give up the kind of yards through the air that's basically become our defense's hallmark in nearly all of our losses since Manusky's been in charge, that's usually a good indication to maybe change up the approach. Putting guys into position to make tackles just doesn't cut it, especially in a 3-4 that has no dominant pass rusher's.

I'm not disputing our corners suck because they do, but since when is it a viable tactic to play off more than 5 yards on 3rd down when you know damn well you're probably not getting a very effective pass rush??? Sounds pretty much counter-intuitive to me; some might even call it chicken sh*t. Come to think of it, when's the last time you remember Manusky just saying "f**k it", then go ahead and just bring more guys than the offense can block? I can't remember the last time I seen that, or even if I've ever seen it from Manusky. If he wants to run things this way, he should just do us a favor and go find a nice Tampa 2 defense to coach. That might be more his style.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by daWest:
LOL. He will retain Alex and try to hit lightning in a bottle twice with crap QBs.

Word.

you guys make it like alex will want to come back to the 9ers next year..

he'll go away and in 2 years he'll be the quarterback of a playoff team

It's still his best chance to start.

These people sound so sure that he'll go somewhere else and be successful..They seem so sure. LOL

Depends of where he goes. If he goes somewhere with a competent offensive coaching staff and an actual NFL offensive line I guaranty he will!

do you guaranty it?

Lol. I wouldn't be so sure to GUARANTEE anything about Alex Smith. Just look at the Jets and Mark Sanchez. He has great talent around him, but he can't seem to get it done. Goes to show you that even if you have a great staff and supporting cast, the QB DOES MATTER.
You guys do know its spelt guaranty also right?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guaranty

Spelt? Oh really.

spelt
— vb
a past tense and past participle of spell

whats the problem

In the UK or Australia but in America we still use spelled. Also Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat.
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:

Lol you want Clement and Spencer to plan man? Lololol manusky plays zone because our db's can't play man, yet that DC's fault?

So let's run more f**king zone to fix the problem then. I don't think Manusky could run more zone if he tried. What's he afraid of: giving up lots of pass yards and losing?. Laugh like you know wtf you're talking about all you want, but when we nearly always play zone and give up the kind of yards through the air that's basically become our defense's hallmark in nearly all of our losses since Manusky's been in charge, that's usually a good indication to maybe change up the approach. Putting guys into position to make tackles just doesn't cut it, especially in a 3-4 that has no dominant pass rusher's.

I'm not disputing our corners suck because they do, but since when is it a viable tactic to play off more than 5 yards on 3rd down when you know damn well you're probably not getting a very effective pass rush??? Sounds pretty much counter-intuitive to me; some might even call it chicken sh*t. Come to think of it, when's the last time you remember Manusky just saying "f**k it", then go ahead and just bring more guys than the offense can block? I can't remember the last time I seen that, or even if I've ever seen it from Manusky. If he wants to run things this way, he should just do us a favor and go find a nice Tampa 2 defense to coach. That might be more his style.

In order to "bring the house" you have to have cover guys that can you know...cover. We have been burned on blitzes many times this year for big gains because we blitzed and left guys one on one.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Marvin Lewis might help us get Palmer

In order to "bring the house" you have to have cover guys that can you know...cover. We have been burned on blitzes many times this year for big gains because we blitzed and left guys one on one.

Says you. I'm seeing us bring 4 regularly, sometimes 5 guys, sometimes just 3, and we're still coughing up a ton of yards as well as the big play from time to time. I'll say again: what's Manusky so afraid of? We couldn't have made worse QB's look any better this year and that's been the rap on our defense the entire time Manusky's been here. If this is his idea of battening down the hatches, then he can have it.

Says you. I'm seeing us bring 4 regularly, sometimes 5 guys, sometimes just 3, and we're still coughing up a ton of yards as well as the big play from time to time. I'll say again: what's Manusky so afraid of? We couldn't have made worse QB's look any better this year and that's been the rap on our defense the entire time Manusky's been here. If this is his idea of battening down the hatches, then he can have it.

I agree I like a DC with guts, but in order o make those ballsy
A lot of people don't seem to be happy about Baalke getting the gm spot because they say they want change. How would we change if we hired Billick? Nolan and Singletary learned under him and I think we know how that turned out. There's people saying he can help develope a qb and our offense. He was the hc of the ravens for Almost 10 years and never did!!!!!! Yes he won a superbowl but honestly how many times in NFL history has a defense looked that dominate? Marvin Lewis won them a super bowl Billick and the offense were just picking up their paychecks. To me it just makes no sense to hire a guy that is gonna do the exact same things that the previous coaches have been doing. The guys in the locker room need a new philosophy to learn not the same s**t they've been hearing for 6 years now.

I agree I like a DC with guts, but in order to make those ballsy calls you need db's who can cover, safeties who aren't constantly getting beat deep and have an effective pass rush! We have none of these things! And you want manusky to just bring pressure all the time, what does he have to lose!?! His job. If we had a true shut down db and a guy who can get more than 8 sacks a season on our team and we still played zone and didn't press wr's then id agree 100%, but we both know that's not the case
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
F*ck billick! Nolan and Singletary are billick clones!! Why the hell would we do this??? This guy is suppose to be an offensive coach but the ravens never had an offense with him there! Theres a reason why hes been working for the nfl network!!! If the niners hire this guy im putting all my niner stuff in a box and up in the attic until they hire a new coach.

The fans who want Billick are enamored that he wrote a book with Walsh. Big f**king deal. The only time he had a good offense was when he had probowlers and HoFers. If we hire him, I can't wait for the same fans to be calling for his head by year 2.

How many coaches do you know of that had a good offense where they DIDN'T have pro bowlers and Hall of famers? Bad argument there.

Billick is an ok second choice. I'd prefer other coaches, but I'd also like some kind of experience in this organization. The Ravens never looked great on offense, but they never aggressively pursued any big time offensive players. We have more talent on this team than the Ravens had on the offensive side of the ball and if we get a QB here, we would be able able to make some things happen next season. That is the biggest key. No coach can suceed in the NFL without a decent QB.

I don't know about that. If he can't develop an O without proven players, why bring him here? We have no QB, and he obviously can't develop one. He was with the ravens for almost a decade, and you're telling me it's not his fault they never went after anyone? He's the one that chose to stick with Boller. As a so called "offensive guru" you'd think he know better, and should have gotten more out of his players. Billick is obviously an "ok" pick for the fans who have become accustomed to York-esque type moves.

Once it became obvious that Singletary would be fired, Harbaugh and Gruden were my 1 and 1(a) choices. Fisher is 3rd, Billick and Fox 4th and 5th.

With that said, I don't think its fair to say he can't develop an offense or a QB. While at Baltimore, his starting QBs were Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Jeff Blake, Anthony Wright, Kyle Boller, Steve McNair and (briefly at the end) Troy Smith.

The only real "QB of the future" type prospect among those names is Boller. Beyond that its veteran QBs past their "primes" to differing degrees and back-guys (Wright, Banks, Smith). So, I guess you could say that he did not develop Kyle Boller, though it is certainly an open question whether that was more Boller or Billick. Seems to me that if you are going to give Ozzie Newsome the credit for the good draft picks and personnel moves, he also has to take the hit on choosing Boller, which he has now rectified with Flacco.

With the Ravens defense, it also made sense for them not to wait to develop a young QB if they could contend for a SB with a veteran QB that could manage the game. While not doing the exact research, I don't really recall the Ravens having great receiving threats during his tenure, though they did have Jamal Lewis and his 2000 yard season.

Walsh always spoke highly of Billick. If Gruden and Harbaugh say no, given the recent history of the 49ers and the Yorks, Billick is a reasonable choice. He will then have the opportunity to prove whether the offensive struggles in Baltimore were more him or the Ravens.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
I think he's one of the guys with the best inside info on the niners.
Here's his latest article. The idea of a Billick-Lewis combo sounds nice to my ears. The fact Billick worked with Walsh, Dennis Green and led the ravens to a SB title (with Trent Dilfer at QB for God's sake) is nice on his resume. He also was OC for that great Vikings offense in the nineties.
Lewis is one of the best D coach available if let go by the bungles

I'd rather have Billick and M. Lewis than Harbaugh! PROVEN NFL Head Coach! I'm tired of trying to find a diamond in the rough!
A lot of people don't seem to be happy about Baalke getting the gm spot because they say they want change. How would we change if we hired Billick? Nolan and Singletary learned under him and I think we know how that turned out. There's people saying he can help develope a qb and our offense. He was the hc of the ravens for Almost 10 years and never did!!!!!! Yes he won a superbowl but honestly how many times in NFL history has a defense looked that dominate? Marvin Lewis won them a super bowl Billick and the offense were just picking up their paychecks. To me it just makes no sense to hire a guy that is gonna do the exact same things that the previous coaches have been doing. The guys in the locker room need a new philosophy to learn not the same s**t they've been hearing for 6 years now.

How did Nolan or Singletary learn anything under Billick? They both on the defensive side of the ball and Billick's is in the offensive side, being an ex-OC who coordinated the 2nd highest offensive season of all time. If anything, they learned from the DC of the team and adopted the overall philosophy of the Ravens of having a strong defense and running the ball. What they didn't learn though, is that Billick only had that philosophy because those were the parts given him by Newsome.

If you look at Billick's time as an OC with the Vikings, he had a high flying offense that stretched the field.
Originally posted by bakefootball:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
I think he's one of the guys with the best inside info on the niners.
Here's his latest article. The idea of a Billick-Lewis combo sounds nice to my ears. The fact Billick worked with Walsh, Dennis Green and led the ravens to a SB title (with Trent Dilfer at QB for God's sake) is nice on his resume. He also was OC for that great Vikings offense in the nineties.
Lewis is one of the best D coach available if let go by the bungles

I'd rather have Billick and M. Lewis than Harbaugh! PROVEN NFL Head Coach! I'm tired of trying to find a diamond in the rough!

Seriously... how many "up and comers" do the Niners have to go through before they get to someone who actually has some legitimate NFL experience and success?
Share 49ersWebzone