There are 228 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
I think he's one of the guys with the best inside info on the niners.
Here's his latest article. The idea of a Billick-Lewis combo sounds nice to my ears. The fact Billick worked with Walsh, Dennis Green and led the ravens to a SB title (with Trent Dilfer at QB for God's sake) is nice on his resume. He also was OC for that great Vikings offense in the nineties.
Lewis is one of the best D coach available if let go by the bungles

billick could never develop a qb with the ravens and that would concern me about his being niners next coach

Just a little FYI for you and the parrots that keep bringing this up. NFL head coaches DO NOT DEVELOP QUARTERBACKS. That isn't their job and isn't what they do all day long. Basing a head coaching hire on the ability or inability to develop a QB is stupid, plain and simple.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Here's his latest article. The idea of a Billick-Lewis combo sounds nice to my ears. The fact Billick worked with Walsh, Dennis Green and led the ravens to a SB title (with Trent Dilfer at QB for God's sake) is nice on his resume. He also was OC for that great Vikings offense in the nineties.

billick could never develop a qb with the ravens and that would concern me about his being niners next coach

Just a little FYI for you and the parrots that keep bringing this up. NFL head coaches DO NOT DEVELOP QUARTERBACKS. That isn't their job and isn't what they do all day long. Basing a head coaching hire on the ability or inability to develop a QB is stupid, plain and simple.

P.S. I never knew he wrote a book with Bill Walsh until today.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Wow!

Even his turned into an Alex Smith thread

Never has there been a more polarizing figure in 49er history

they didnt have internet message boards when george mira played
  • dj43
Billick is my #2 pick for HC. (Harbaugh=#1 by a small margin)

Billick took what Ozzie Newsome gave him and had a consistent winning record, while relying on defense to win games. So we can skewer him for not turning guys with forgettable names in HOFers, he did win a SB.

What intrigues me the most about him was something he said in a recent interview on KNBR. He noted all his travel to every team in the league and seeing how they run things. At the end of that, combined with a lot of TV work, he noted that he had learned a great deal more about football than when he first took over in Baltimore. That admission is impressive and reflects what often happens when a person changes jobs and has time for reflection...they become better.

I would have no problem with BB as HC.
Originally posted by escobar49:
F*ck billick! Nolan and Singletary are billick clones!! Why the hell would we do this??? This guy is suppose to be an offensive coach but the ravens never had an offense with him there! Theres a reason why hes been working for the nfl network!!!

He works for more than just the NFL Network. Anyways, does his having not coached and having a job on TV mean the same thing about him as a coach as it does Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, or even a guy like Steve Mariucci???? Just want to make sure that they suck too because they have had a job on TV the last few years.
The difference is Cowher and Gruden have HC offers every year. I don't think Billick has even gotten 1 offer since he was fired.
The difference is Cowher and Gruden have HC offers every year. I don't think Billick has even gotten 1 offer since he was fired.

How do you know this? I haven't heard of any of them getting job offers.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All season any time Billick would call a Niner game he basically seemed to be gushing over the talent. At times it almost seemed like he was auditioning. I want a guy that wants to be here. Everyone acts like Harbaugh will be this great savior, but the fact is he is an unknown commidity at the NFL level. I would be willing to bet my bank account that 80 percent of the posters on this board calling for Harbaugh (myself included) dont know squat about the man other than he is the sexy pick. Yes, there is a chance he can turn out great, but there is also a very good chance he is average or below. IMO, the only thing driving the Harbaugh train on Niner Talk is the HOPE that some how we'll catch lighting in a bottle and duplicate B.Walsh part deux. I'm open to Harbaugh, but Billick/Lewis is a much safer pick as they should be able to clean up in the NFC WEST.

P.S. I'm pulling for the Billick/Lewis/Palmer package!

P.S. to my P.S. Don't you guys think we already have enough rookies in the FO (Jed,Trent,Harbaugh)? I mean, we need some experience.

+1 in everything you said
F*ck billick! Nolan and Singletary are billick clones!! Why the hell would we do this??? This guy is suppose to be an offensive coach but the ravens never had an offense with him there! Theres a reason why hes been working for the nfl network!!! If the niners hire this guy im putting all my niner stuff in a box and up in the attic until they hire a new coach.

Wow man thanks !
it cools me off a little bit about taking the billick train right away
Browns are already waiting for the season to end to go after Gruden and I hope all niner fans would want Gruden over Billick. Last year the redskins wanted him. He's also turned down two college coaching offers from Miami and Tennessee. Cowher can get any job he chooses. Teams interested in him are the giants, dolphins, and the texans. Teams that may be interested in Billick. Our sorry 49ers

Brian Billick had the ravens at 5-11 in 2007 the year he was fired.

The following year he was replaced by a young "inexperienced" special teams coach named John Harbaugh.

The ravens went 11-5 in 2008.
Browns are already waiting for the season to end to go after Gruden and I hope all niner fans would want Gruden over Billick. Last year the redskins wanted him. He's also turned down two college coaching offers from Miami and Tennessee. Cowher can get any job he chooses. Teams interested in him are the giants, dolphins, and the texans. Teams that may be interested in Billick. Our sorry 49ers

Being that I live in Oakland I know a lot of Raider fans. I can tell you this, a lot of them think Gruden was a flop. They've given me a lot of reason which at this moment I cant remember, but the bottom line is they are not high on him. Take it for what its worth.

Oh, yeah. Did you know Gruden got 2 DUIs durning his stay in Oakland? I got that info from a die hard Raiders (and family member) on Christmas even.
Brian Billick had the ravens at 5-11 in 2007 the year he was fired.

The following year he was replaced by a young "inexperienced" special teams coach named John Harbaugh.

The ravens went 11-5 in 2008.

So what? There is no comparison season to season. Schedule, players, luck, coaching and so on can all be reasons why something is the way it is. I know a lot of people want Holmgren and he had a pretty s**tty last year with the Hawks. It's the same thing with Shanny. To point to one season at the end of their tenure and dismiss them as a bad coach even though they won a Superbowl is weak.
Why is gruden favored by so many over billick? What has he done that billick hasn't? except for winning a super bowl with tony dungy's team. He had no long term success and the bucs have just now rebuilt their program from when he was there. is it the old saying "if everyone jumps off a bridge, do you do it too?" Who cares if everyone else wants him. I want billick, then cowher, then harbaugh. Those are my top 3. experience is vital to this team at the moment. Only reason I have billick over cowher is I think the team needs an offensive guy.

[ Edited by DMiller2007 on Jan 1, 2011 at 15:03:54 ]
Originally posted by Gavintech:

If you don't think BW had a hand in developing Montana or Young, you're mistaken.
Share 49ersWebzone