Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by Draftology:
I have no idea why everyone hates Manusky. We don't have a shut down corner or a pass rush threat, yet our defense is still solid year in and year out. I love Manusky and I think if the new coach keeps the 3-4, he will stay.

but why couldn't Manusky try Clements at safety--even in preseason just to see how it works out. Clements playing 10 yards off every receiver is not good.

There had to be some corner on some good teams practice squad the team could have brought in---that would be Baalke.

why not try Bowman at OLB---i think he might be a good pass rusher with his speed.

why not try the 4-3--we had enough guys to play two DT's--with maybe lawson, willis, spikes as the LB's--maybe even try Mays as one of the lb's.

I just feel the defense was not all that good and they really tried nothing new.

I would like to draft a pass rusher, a couple of corners and go to a 4-3.
1. Not all slow, physical corners can play safety. Plus Clements was either our best or second best corner this year and corner is a much more important position.

2. Just because a player is fast, doesn't mean they can pass rush. Manny Lawson is about as fast as linebackers come and he can't rush the passer to save his life. Bowman was drafted as an inside linebacker because that best fits his skill set. You play players at their best long term position, not where you have an immediate need.

3. Manusky knows the 3-4. He has always coached the 3-4. You don't switch your entire system in the middle of the season. That requires new plays and new techniques that would take an entire offseason for the players to learn. He is not going to change his entire defensive philosophy because the defense is playing alright instead of great.

The two most valuable positions on defense are lockdown corner and stud pass rusher. The Niners have not had either of those while Manusky has been here yet we always have a solid defense. Manusky is a great defensive coordinator and I hope he stays.