LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Clearly you all want Alex gone but who is next...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
the only people that i want to keep.

Willis
Gore
Crabtree
Iupati
Staley
Heitman
Spikes

bout it.

You don't want Vernon? WTF.

AND NO ANDY LEE!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double fail on my part
Rachal
Goldson
Clements - move him to safety or release him
Black Smith
Carr
Haralson
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Other then Willis and Vd they can all f off.

You would dump a healthy Gore?

i would, trade bait

Gore and our #1 for Carolina's #1.

Would you do that trade if you were them? A high mileage running back approaching 30 and top 10 pick. I wouldn't. You're going to have to pay more than that to get Luck.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
I think theres a lot of guys you release/not resign

Alex Smith
Carr
Norris
Ginn
Sims
Goldson
Clements
Spencer
Rachel
Heitman

Haralson
Franklin
Brown

James
Nedney
The bold are still serviceable. There are too many other problems to dump all of those guys and still have a roster.

Problem is, Goldson and Franklin will likely leave on their own. Though neither have had Pro Bowl years, you don't replace them with guys off the street. Their replacements are not on the current roster.

The sad part of all of these projections is that the one guy the 49ers will miss the most next year is the guy whose name is in the thread title. There is no vet around the league that will be available that can do a better job.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Other then Willis and Vd they can all f off.

You would dump a healthy Gore?

i would, trade bait

Gore and our #1 for Carolina's #1.

Would you do that trade if you were them? A high mileage running back approaching 30 and top 10 pick. I wouldn't. You're going to have to pay more than that to get Luck.

Add Alex (a former #1 pick) to the mix - he is still under contract through March, I think. Also add a second 2011 draft (maybe 3rd rounder).

Of course, this all presumes Andrew Luck will declare for the draft.

[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Dec 27, 2010 at 16:35:56 ]

There is a reason that Mike was fired after only 2.5 seasons... we have talent. More talent then we have had in years. So I wouldn't be carried away about 'cleaning house'. For example cutting our two starting CB's to replace them with... rookies?

Absolute Must is to release Alex Smith. I don't care how decent he has looked at times, or how well he does somewhere else we all know he doesn't have what it takes. His passing will be a symbol that the previous era is finally overrrrrr.

Carr. Why is he still on the team? We take a look at him in part of one game and he absolutely sucks. Amazingly bad. I was at the Panthers game and my god. Everybody knew he wouldn't play for us again. Yet we don't cut his ass to sign a prospect to the team?

Norris. Is it so hard to find a fullback who can actually run and catch? He looks like a bodybuilder back there.

Clements pay cut and/or move to safety. He would rock as a box safety.

Cut the backup CB's. They have not shown anything and whenever we play nickel they always get horribly burned.

Let Goldson walk if he wants big money.

OLB's aren't great and we shouldn't keep them if they want a big contract. But they aren't bad either.

Surprise surprise: Gore. He can still play obviously but he is not one of the top RB's in the league. It would be another symbol of truly moving on if he were traded. Dixon and Westbrook and another good rookie/FA could handle the load just fine. Keeping him wouldn't be bad of course.

[ Edited by confusedrhino on Dec 27, 2010 at 16:53:20 ]
Not sure about cap hits, but this is what I would like for some key people.

01 QB Troy Smith - Re-sign if N Davis Walks (3rd stringer)
05 QB David Carr - Cut him
07 QB Nate Davis - Re-sign if T Smith Walks (3rd Stringer)
11 QB Alex Smith - Let him walk
20 RB Brian Westbrook - Let him walk (I like him but maybe a mileage issue)
22 CB Nate Clements - Cut him (I agree he might be ok at FS, but time to move on)
26 CB/S Tramaine Brock - Let him walk
31 CB William James - Let him walk
38 FS Dashon Goldson - Let him walk even if he has a reasonable demand!
44 FB Moran Norris - Cut him
51 ILB Takeo Spikes - Up to him, he deserves playoffs
54 OLB Travis LaBoy - Re-sign
57 ILB Keaton Kristick - Re-sign (he's a special teamer right?)
62 OG Chilo Rachal - Cut him
64 OG David Baas - Re-sign if can't be replaced in FA/Heitmann health issue
65 OT Barry Sims - Let him walk
69 OG/C Tony Wragge - Let him walk
91 DE Ray McDonald - Let him walk
92 NT Aubrayo Franklin - I wouldn't overpay for him
93 DE Demetric Evans - Let him walk
99 OLB Manny Lawson - I wouldn't overpay for him

If we can't cut them for cap purposes, then sit them.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I am curious how Nate would do as a safety. If they keep him at CB, he can go. He makes too many costly mistakes...

Next would be Rachal, Carr, Goldson, Haralson, and probably a few more...

This.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
There is a reason that Mike was fired after only 2.5 seasons... we have talent. More talent then we have had in years. So I wouldn't be carried away about 'cleaning house'. For example cutting our two starting CB's to replace them with... rookies?

Absolute Must is to release Alex Smith. I don't care how decent he has looked at times, or how well he does somewhere else we all know he doesn't have what it takes. His passing will be a symbol that the previous era is finally overrrrrr.

Carr. Why is he still on the team? We take a look at him in part of one game and he absolutely sucks. Amazingly bad. I was at the Panthers game and my god. Everybody knew he wouldn't play for us again. Yet we don't cut his ass to sign a prospect to the team?

Norris. Is it so hard to find a fullback who can actually run and catch? He looks like a bodybuilder back there.

Cut the backup CB's. They have not shown anything and whenever we play nickel they always get horribly burned.

OLB's aren't great and we shouldn't keep them if they want a big contract. But they aren't bad either.

Surprise surprise: Gore. He can still play obviously but he is not one of the top RB's in the league. It would be another symbol of truly moving on if he were traded. Dixon and Westbrook and another good rookie/FA could handle the load just fine. Keeping him wouldn't be bad of course.

Dude are you serious? Gore is easily one of the top RB's in the league and has made a lot of plays without a superior team for YEARS! He can take the ball to the house at any time, catches the ball well, and runs for tough yards. Not to mention he was having a great year before he hurt his hip.

I'll give you Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew and maybe Steven Jackson -- maybe -- as better players, but name the other top RB's after that? I'd argue pretty hard against MJD and S.Jax as well, Gore is still a great player and let's not let frustration with the Niners season overshadow the contributions this guy has made.

Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Nate Clements is a good corner, just not a number 1. He is a beast against the run.

Our linebackers can tackle the ball carrier. I want a corner who can cover a receiver.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Nate Clements is a good corner, just not a number 1. He is a beast against the run.

Our linebackers can tackle the ball carrier. I want a corner who can cover a receiver.

that is why Clements needs to be moved to FS.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Heitmann -- he was good for a while, but now he's got a broken left leg, right leg, and neck injury on his record here. It's time to upgrade.

Rachal -- I can't count how many times Chilo just looks bewildered out there, as if he has no clue what to do. Sometimes he really does just do nothing, and lets linemen run free at the QB. We cannot afford to have a new franchise QB with torn shoulders again.

Sims -- too old, it's over.

Norris -- see above.

Baas -- Two horrific, costly snaps this season; one for a safety, one into the dirt for a huge loss at a critical point in the game. Add concussion after concussion among other injuries, and it's time he leaves.

Clements -- Where the frick did your instincts go? When your safety is setting up to make a pick, why the EFF would you smash into the receiver like a straight-up imbecile? You never look back for the ball, you play 10-15 yards off of players far slower than you. Double moves beat you 99% of the time. You're entering your 12th season. It's time to go.

Goldson -- You can hit, but you can't cover, and when you miss.. you miss bad. We can't have that.

Haralson -- You should be traded to a 4-3 team. You're better just rushing off the edge for the brief burst you have. After that, you can't even run down a fullback. If you can, you'll just whiff on the tackle.

Carr - You suck. Nothing more needs to be said.

That's about right as far as a list.
I agree with all of these, but with one caveat: I would like to see what Rachal can do in a zone blocking scheme. That will be up to the new HC but I believe a better offensive scheme and better coaching could save this draft pick. Keep him around for TC and let the chips fall where they may.

Haralson is why the McCloughan strategy of drafting 'tweeners rarely works. PH had good pass rushing instincts but was considered too light to play DE in a 3-4. So either go 4-3 or don't draft him.

Haralson was actually the right size, 6-1 253, but he was slow as molasses in agility drills. The 49ers coached the guy at the Senior Bowl. I watched him in the practices struggling to move in space. No one should be so surprised he can't hack it at linebacker. You need to be decent in space to excel there.

As for Clements, another thought... If he wants to play 20 yards off the ball, then go line up at safety. Clearly you can't hack it in man coverage anymore, so just get in space. Take a pay cut and play SS or something, since that's just about all Clements is now, an in-the-box defender.

I wouldn't even want him at FS; I could still see him getting burnt or getting ridiculously stupid and easily avoidable PI calls.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 27, 2010 at 22:13:19 ]
As pertains to what to do with a QB - That can't be decided until the GM and then Coach are in place - to draft a QB we have to have the organization to develop a young player - or we will have Alex on our hands all over again.

The biggest thing is we have to get a HC that isn't afraid to bring in coaches that know more in their area's than him - they have to fit his system sure but the key to management is finding good people that will succeed - and being okay with them being better than you at their job than you will be.

Be unafraid to not let Coordinators interview for other jobs even if it is a promotion - See the cowboys they signed a contract unless you have a viable alternative in place the answer is no.

Talent is not everything - You have to have coaches that develop it for today's NFL not their idea of what the NFL should be or was - that adapt to the game and rules and teach players how to succeed in it.

It doesn't matter who we keep who we get - everything starts with the GM and Coach.

It is our jobs as fans to not hope for the best but hold this organization accountable - no more gimmicks, no more half ass searches - I am okay with an unknown coach as long as a strong GM is in place and hires that coach based on ability but NO NO NO crap from inside the organization for a GM.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

Your high Gore is a building block - as is Crabs Vernon and Willis.
Share 49ersWebzone