LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 380 users in the forums

Don't Blame Jed, Blame Bill Polian

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Polian is a master in the NFL Draft and knows how to build a franchise.

Polian is an over rated GM IMO. I mean look at the Colts team. He got lucky with getting the #1 pick and got Manning. That was a no brainer. Yes, he's drafted great offensively but his defense has always been horrible. Yet, he does nothing to make his defense better. With Peyton Manning, you don't need to keep putting high first round picks around him. Peyton makes everyone better (see Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Tamme, etc). They barely run the ball yet the spend a 1st on Addai and Brown?

I give him full credit for putting a winning team year in and year out. But with arguably the best QB in the league, they have only one 1 SuperBowl and Polian is at fault for some of that for not building the defense to take the burden off of Manning.

Your argument is full of holes.

1)Drafting Peyton wasn't a no brainer. There was much heated debate at the time on who was the better pick: Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning.

2) You fail to mention Edgerrin James.

3) You fail to mention Marvin Harrison.

4) You fail to mention Dallas Clark

5)You fail to mention Dwight Freeny, or Mathis.

6) You fail to mention that any ONE of those caliber of player's would make a huge difference with our team. We struggle to find one like that...the Colts find them all the time. lol

So which one is it? Did he draft well on both sides of the ball or is the dynasty that is the Colt's simply a mirage created by one man called Peyton Manning?

Only a fool would claim it is not the former...one man does not make an NFL team, no one player (even Peyton Manning) will save your ass from poor personnel decisions across the board, or even poor decisions on one half of the offense/defense equation.

The Colts have drafted extremely well over and over through the years, there really is no discussion about this.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 27, 2010 at 08:37:36 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Oops, double post.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 27, 2010 at 08:33:39 ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Polian is a master in the NFL Draft and knows how to build a franchise.

Polian is an over rated GM IMO. I mean look at the Colts team. He got lucky with getting the #1 pick and got Manning. That was a no brainer. Yes, he's drafted great offensively but his defense has always been horrible. Yet, he does nothing to make his defense better. With Peyton Manning, you don't need to keep putting high first round picks around him. Peyton makes everyone better (see Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Tamme, etc). They barely run the ball yet the spend a 1st on Addai and Brown?

I give him full credit for putting a winning team year in and year out. But with arguably the best QB in the league, they have only one 1 SuperBowl and Polian is at fault for some of that for not building the defense to take the burden off of Manning.

Your argument is full of holes.

1)Drafting Peyton wasn't a no brainer. There was much heated debate at the time on who was the better pick: Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning.

2) You fail to mention Edgerrin James.

3) You fail to mention Marvin Harrison.

4) You fail to mention Dallas Clark

5)You fail to mention Dwight Freeny, or Mathis.

6) You fail to mention that any ONE of those caliber of player's would make a huge difference with our team. We struggle to find one like that...the Colts find them all the time. lol

So which one is it? Did he draft well on both sides of the ball or is the dynasty that is the Colt's simply a mirage created by one man called Peyton Manning?

Only a fool would claim it is not the former...one man does not make an NFL team, no one player (even Peyton Manning) will save your ass from poor personnel decisions across the board, or even poor decisions on one half of the offense/defense equation.

The Colts have drafted extremely well over and over through the years, there really is no discussion about this.

I'm not trying to argue that Polian is not a good GM or that he isn't better than what we have because that is certainly not the case. I'd love Polian to be our GM. All i said was that I think he's over rated.

My whole argument was that with Peyton Manning (arguably the best qb in the league), that only 1 SB was not good enough. Yes, he drafts great offensively but year in and year out, he keeps drafting offensively. Peyton has proven that he can take no name offensive players and make them great yet they spend 1st round picks on offense. He's neglected to spend picks on defense to take the pressure off of Manning and it has really hurt them.

I give him all the credit for all the great offensive players he's drafted. Im just talking about his lack of drafting defensive players. Yes, he has good DE's in Mathis and Freeney but the DT's are horrible. They're LB and CB are average to below average at best. Bob Sanders is great but he's injured year in and year out. The defense has been horrible year in and year out. The year they won the SB, it was because the defense played incredible during the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone