LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

Where did we fall . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Much as you obviously hate him I would have thought you would have realised that you cant place the blame for where we are on one player.

He's not the only reason ; however, the question asks "where did we fall". Thats where it all began..........
In a cafe near SFO in Millbrae when that Louisiana Governor(or was he a Mayor) entrapped Eddie. That is precisely where we fell. If you are looking for something more short term it would have to be when Jed made Sing permanent way too prematurely. The last milestone before that was the drafting of Alex Smith. In between Alex and Sing there are literally dozens of boneheaded moves..like the Jonas Jennings and Nate Clements signings
Meh, this team had a chance to learn from the Nolan disaster and didn't.

Instead they hired a pants dropping nut case w/out even interviewing anyone else.

Pretty short sided and weak if you ask me.

Looks like its time to dust off the old manual on how to hire the perfect NFL coach.
Authored by none other than our own football oracle..... That's right!!!! Parrag Marathe!!!!

Yay us!!!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Much as you obviously hate him I would have thought you would have realised that you cant place the blame for where we are on one player.

He's not the only reason ; however, the question asks "where did we fall". Thats where it all began..........

happened much earlier than that.
Originally posted by boast:

Yup. Revisionist historians at work.

There was a playoff coach fired. There were high priced players gutted. Ownership, senior management and front office people failed miserably well before the pick of Alex Smith. In fact the culture of fail led to the #1 pick...
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by boast:

Everything before that was attributed to EddieD / Carmen Policy putting us in salary cap hell. The Niners had no choice but to purge all viable talent from the roster. Do I support the manner in which they did it ? No. But looking back, no one can deny that it was unavoidable......

With that said, 2005 was supposed to be the "beginning". The team hit rock bottom when we were shut out by KC in 2004........but again, everyone at the time knew it was something the team/fans had to swallow in order to escape the mess that was left from the 90s.

Smith was supposed to be the new face of the franchise. The beginning of something special. In retrospect, he was the beginning of the end. If you told me in 2005 that in 2011 we would still be wondering whether Smith could be our franchise QB, and the team would be in shambles because of it.........Id be shocked. What we went through with the "Alex Smith Project" was unheard of, and I dont think any sports franchise in the history of sports has given a bust so many opportunities to succeed.

You will probably disagree..............
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
When they took over.

Originally posted by susweel:
When they took over.

• Jiks

He isn't capable of reasoning at that level, in case you haven't noticed.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Ive never seen snyone come to Alex's rescue faster than you. Everyone else debates the topic at hand with me...........but geez, one swipe at Alex and you come rushing into the thread to throw in your one liner.

It must take a lot to be invested so deep in a bust...............but keep going, maybe you and Ceadder could convince a few fans to become his supporters.

Ive never seen snyone come to Alex's rescue faster than you. Everyone else debates the topic at hand with me...........but geez, one swipe at Alex and you come rushing into the thread to throw in your one liner.

It must take a lot to be invested so deep in a bust...............but keep going, maybe you and Ceadder could convince a few fans to become his supporters.

dude, too soon

the problem wasnt drafting alex smith the problem wwas developing him the 49ers could write a book how not to developo a QB they put him in the wrong system and a different system almost every year

aall this eventhough his college coach said before TC that he needs continuity to be effective...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
When they took over.

• Veteran
When they took over.

When dumb and dumber took over.
Share 49ersWebzone