There are 216 users in the forums

Singletary tarnished 2 franchises

Shop Find 49ers gear online
*If this is better served in NFL talk please move it as needed mods

We all agree that the Mike Singletary experiment is a failure. He simply can't coach and has no X and O knowledge.

The 49er offense has been set back 30+ years under his guidance.

I attributed his caveman football to his experience with the Bears and cursed them for it.

I was wrong.

The Bears v. Patriots SB is on NFLN now and I am sitting here stunned at the offensive creativity in Q1-Q2

-Payton is being used as a decoy and not a bell cow. The Patriot gameplan keyed on Payton so the FB (Suhey?) is getting lots of looks. Runs...wheel route after Gault cleared the area etc.

-They are also running outside the tackles and passing frequently

-Creative plays I noticed are (1) WR motion and snap then handoff for an outside run...almost like a reverse and a (2) goal line JUMBO package including Fridge William Perry. Fake handoff run by QB McMahon...almost looked like an option play

The biggest item I notice is the team is attacking with a 10pt lead instead of turtling up.

This makes me even more depressed regarding our current team.

Thanks for leaving a stain on the 49er franchise Singletary. I'm sure Bear fans also appreciate the bad reputation your coaching is spreading their way
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:24 AM ]
Which other franchise has Singletary's poor coaching tarnished? If you are somehow trying to argue that it reflects back on him playing days with the Bears then sorry, but you are simply wrong.

He was a great player. Nothing changes that.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
*If this is better served in NFL talk please move it as needed mods

We all agree that the Mike Singletary experiment is a failure. He simply can't coach and has no X and O knowledge.

The 49er offense has been set back 30+ years under his guidance.

I attributed his caveman football to his experience with the Bears and cursed them for it.

I was wrong.

The Bears v. Patriots SB is on NFLN now and I am sitting here stunned at the offensive creativity in Q1-Q2

-Payton is being used as a decoy and not a bell cow. The Patriot gameplan keyed on Payton so the FB (Suhey?) is getting lots of looks. Runs...wheel route after Gault cleared the area etc.

-They are also running outside the tackles and passing frequently

-Creative plays I noticed are (1) WR motion and snap then handoff for an outside run...almost like a reverse and a (2) goal line JUMBO package including Fridge William Perry. Fake handoff run by QB McMahon...almost looked like an option play

The biggest item I notice is the team is attacking with a 10pt lead instead of turtling up.

This makes me even more depressed regarding our current team.

Thanks for leaving a stain on the 49er franchise Singletary. I'm sure Bear fans also appreciate the bad reputation your coaching is spreading their way

The 9ers offense "turtles up" with a 7 point lead in the first quarter.
Singletary didn't set us back, ownership did.

Mike was promoted to interim HC and made the most of his opportunity. Ownership knew he wasn't qualified and would struggle without a plan on offense (similar to Nolan). He tried to dumb it down and impliment a power rushing attack with a strong defense. It's been a proven formula and honestly, that's probably the best move he could've made. Especially in our division, that should've been enough. However, without a glimmer of stability at QB and without a productive OC, the floor fell through.
Originally posted by English:
Which other franchise has Singletary's poor coaching tarnished? If you are somehow trying to argue that it reflects back on him playing days with the Bears then sorry, but you are simply wrong.

Singletary's coaching style is partly based on his playing time with the Bears.

He thinks that formula was a tough D and a grinding safe running attack

He should go back and look at the film again

He "grew up" as a coach in Baltimore and that's exactly how they won. You don't think the Dilfer sighting was just a coincidence, do you? Or the 3-4?

It has nothing to do with Chicago.
Originally posted by strickac:

He "grew up" as a coach in Baltimore and that's exactly how they won. You don't think the Dilfer sighting was just a coincidence, do you? Or the 3-4?

It has nothing to do with Chicago.

I agree. Nolan and Singletary turned this team into the wanna-be Ravens. You could see it more when Nolan was around, but most of that is still around.
Singletary is not allowing our players to be football players where other coaches, if they have a shifty player who isn't a starter, put that guy in a position to make an easy catch and become a football player and use his shiftiness after the catch.

A FB doesn't mean a player who doesn't catch the ball but Singletary seems to pigeon hole these positions. Let them f**ken play football.
this is up there, a real contender...
uhhhh yeh

You completely avoid my question. He has only tarnished one franchise and that will soon be removed. But the Bears were a very run orientated attack. With a tough D.

Poor coaching doesn't tarnish the memory of a player. Murdering your wife might. Taking performance enhancing drugs might. Failing at a very difficult job just means you aren't a coach.
Originally posted by strickac:
Singletary didn't set us back, ownership did.

Mike was promoted to interim HC and made the most of his opportunity. Ownership knew he wasn't qualified and would struggle without a plan on offense (similar to Nolan). He tried to dumb it down and impliment a power rushing attack with a strong defense. It's been a proven formula and honestly, that's probably the best move he could've made. Especially in our division, that should've been enough. However, without a glimmer of stability at QB and without a productive OC, the floor fell through.

the 49ers ownership has been cheap since they hired Dennis Erickson. one could argue that Steve Mariucci wasnt fired for not taking the team far enough, but simply because they didnt want to pay him what he was worth. since then theyve probably spent less money on their HC's than any team in the NFL.

Erickson clearly wasnt the best choice in 2003, but he was the cheapest. Nolan clearly wasnt the best choice in 2005, but he was the cheapest. Singletary had a good run as interim coach, and rather than paying for a guy with real NFL HC experience, they 49ers decided to just promote Sing, who would be cheap again.

Which leads me to believe that anyone thinking were actually going to shell out any money for a NFL caliber HC this offseason, is kidding themselves. were going to hire somebodies "assistant HC" or D/O coor. or maybe a college coach.

Im so sick of this ownership being cheap. theyre whole plan the last 8 years has been "how little can we pay our staff to maintain a team good enough to keep fans coming in? as long as were making money, lets keep doing this."

its exactly what Bill Bidwell has done for years in AZ.

notice they continue to raise ticket prices, despite the team going nowhere, and still playing in the same old run down stadium? when i went to Niners/Jags last year, i realized how old the seats were. whens the last time they even put in new seats? they looked like they were installed in the early 70's...yet they want to raise the price of sitting in them.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
this is up there, a real contender...

Has my vote.

Share 49ersWebzone