LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 212 users in the forums

Troy Smith vs. Alex Smith (Article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFGem:
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing is for sure, this is Alex's chance to "finally" show it. I'm sorry, but considering he has had 47 starts, do you actually think he will show us something he has never shown before on a consistent basis? At least Troy Smith was good for at least one big play a game.

how many times has this been said? alex has been bad for 6 years. why is this now his final shot? his final shot should have been against carolina. i won't be surprised if alex is on our roster next year. the coaches seem to have a crush on him or something.

I'm telling you, Alex has a voodoo hex on this team or something. Either that or he studied Bruce Lee: "The art of QB without QBing."

For some reason, I have a feeling we see the same old s**t.

I hear ya, Joe... but I'm just not going there with you anymore. You are obviously incapable of discussing this particular topic with any degree of clarity or objectivity.

(seriously, no offense... just not gonna spend the time)
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick6IF you dont want to give Troy the loss against Carolina, then .[/quote:

you want to give troy the loss against carolina when he didn't even play in that game. wow what a clever new form of an alexcuse. let's assign losses to qbs that didn't even play that game to make alex look better. wtf? lmao. insanity.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

For some reason, I have a feeling we see the same old s**t.

I hear ya, Joe... but I'm just not going there with you anymore. You are obviously incapable of discussing this particular topic with any degree of clarity or objectivity.

(seriously, no offense... just not gonna spend the time)

I'm the anti Wodow. I come out when there's clearly blind evaluation on Alex Smith. For the record, I do defend Alex if there's obvious incorrect statements made. I have defended him earlier this year on a few throws or "mistakes".

But my main reason for this is to get one thing clear, he's not as good as a lot of us may think he is because he displays flaws that have little to do with coaching such as his accuracy, ability to keep up with the speed of the game (seeing before throwing), and his awareness. I will even give you accuracy to coaching but that's more like speed: you can only coach so much speed in a runner until his own natural inabilities keep him from running faster.

My assessment of the OL is still the same as it was before. Troy Smith's ability to move around in the pocket made it appear the OL was all of a sudden blocking better for 4 seconds at times. It's the same OL but with a QB who isn't trying to be a statue forcing the play as drawn.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFGem:
Originally posted by Pick6IF you dont want to give Troy the loss against Carolina, then .[/quote:

you want to give troy the loss against carolina when he didn't even play in that game. wow what a clever new form of an alexcuse. let's assign losses to qbs that didn't even play that game to make alex look better. wtf? lmao. insanity.

If you read two posts later... I corrected myself. It was late (CST) and I wasn't thinking... OBVIOUSLY Troy had nothing to do with the Carolina loss... (side note, why didn't we see him then instead of Carr?)the game was tied when Alex got hurt, whatever pin that on him I don't care. I was just looking at records of teams that both qb's played... and how they fared against them.

I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO MAKE ALEX LOOK BETTER. It was not an ALEXCUSE, it was simply an oversight on my part. IF you would have read anything that I posted after that you would have realized that.

Once again, it amazes me at how quickly people on here have gotten at calling people out as "lovers" and "haters". Man I'm a fan and I just want my team to win, I don't care who the QB is. Like someone else said they can sign Cody Pickett and if he comes in and wins I don't care.

My point is that NONE of our QB's are good... unfortunately given the choices (awful and awful) I think that Alex probably does give us the best chance to win.

I appreciate you calling me out though.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
All I take this season about Alex Smith is that the team stunk, the OC stunk, the play calling stunk, the organization stunk, and we still don't know whether he will be a solid NFL quarterback.

I'm not sure more than a handful of NFL QB's could have played well under center this year, in this highly dysfunctional system and team.

I agree to an extent. He still could have played better at some points, but given what I saw on the field from the rest of the team, it would've been hard for anyone to do.

Peyton Manning is a PRIME example right now. They can't protect him to save their lives and Manning looks absolutely TERRIBLE. I mean, embarrassing pick sixes left and right, and just throws all over the place. The sudden inaccuracy makes you see how crucial the supporting cast's performance is. Manning can't set his feet to make accurate throws, and often times even if he can set them, he's feeling the pressure and makes a poor decision, or throw, or both.

Now imagine what happens to a 21 year old's QB brain when he's constantly getting defender's hands on him in under 3 seconds during his infant years of development...

Oh, that's right... you don't have to imagine. We were front row for years.

What many forget is that Joe Montana didn't start in his first season. Walsh first brought him in only when the offense was on the opposing team's goal line. Montana would then engineer the score. Walsh said he did this to forge Montana with confidence that when he was on the field, good things were going to happen.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
All I take this season about Alex Smith is that the team stunk, the OC stunk, the play calling stunk, the organization stunk, and we still don't know whether he will be a solid NFL quarterback.

I'm not sure more than a handful of NFL QB's could have played well under center this year, in this highly dysfunctional system and team.

I agree to an extent. He still could have played better at some points, but given what I saw on the field from the rest of the team, it would've been hard for anyone to do.

Peyton Manning is a PRIME example right now. They can't protect him to save their lives and Manning looks absolutely TERRIBLE. I mean, embarrassing pick sixes left and right, and just throws all over the place. The sudden inaccuracy makes you see how crucial the supporting cast's performance is. Manning can't set his feet to make accurate throws, and often times even if he can set them, he's feeling the pressure and makes a poor decision, or throw, or both.

Now imagine what happens to a 21 year old's QB brain when he's constantly getting defender's hands on him in under 3 seconds during his infant years of development...

Oh, that's right... you don't have to imagine. We were front row for years.

What many forget is that Joe Montana didn't start in his first season. Walsh first brought him in only when the offense was on the opposing team's goal line. Montana would then engineer the score. Walsh said he did this to forge Montana with confidence that when he was on the field, good things were going to happen.

So that would mean Alex should have mounds of confidence considering his success in the Red Zone.

They are different QB's and different people. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched roles and still get the same career results.

Remember, Deberg was also coached by the Great Bill Walsh but it even Walsh couldn't make him Joe Montana and I think Walsh would also have the same limitations with Alex Smith.
I think Billick hit the nail right on the head. Spoken from a true coach;

Billick, who will work alongside play-by-play man Thom Brennaman, was the analyst in the 49ers' telecast last week against the Green Bay Packers. Troy Smith completed 40 percent of his passes and was benched this week in favor of Alex Smith. It was a move that did not catch Billick by surprise, he said. After all, he said Troy Smith must complete passes at a higher percentage to succeed in the NFL.

"That's the challenge for Troy," Billick said. "He's like a lot of strong-armed quarterbacks. You got to be accurate to play in this league. And that accuracy is going to show up more so on third down."

Billick said Alex Smith's comfort level in the offense also contributes to him being more accurate with his throws.

"By nature, he's a more accurate passer than Troy," Billick said. "That's not to say Troy can't get accurate."

I dont think a knock on either but a pretty fair assessment.
Share 49ersWebzone